The apple price in Australia...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anyone give me a logical reason why we pay so much for apple products in Australia?

Taking conversion into account, we still pay $200 more for a 40gig iPod than they do in the states, and what would be a $12 pram battery in the states, cost me $55 this morning.

Everyone says it is taxes that increase the price, but seriously, by this much?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    You might have to remember that the prices of local stuff is prob fixed at a certain rate when they price the range up, so even tho today its 0.739c when the order went thru the local pricelist might have been priced at 0.700c. This is why some item seem to price drop quickly (new powerbooks dropped overnight) and others not (imacs were overdue for a price drop for ages) depending on local stock levels. The GST, import duties add 15% ish to the price, freight ex factory reasoning I cant see cause if they ship from asia direct here (most items assembled there) then surely we must be at least the same if not cheaper for that cost involved to the US..

I keep an eye on both prices.. not so long ago (6 mths ish maybe), the direct price ratio oz price <---> us price was over 2, in most instances it was getting towards 2.2 .. now ibooks,power macs and the others I check today the ratio is 1.78ish (on average) so there has been a effective price drop for us here, dollar exchange rate wise and probably just lowering of apple retail prices..

Maybe there is about another 6-8% dif after taking in account gst, import duty etc, but then they have to be freighted all around australia, local management/distribution charges etc... yes I know this is not Apples .au's cost of machines but compared to world pricing we are talking here...

I am not saying apple .au's pricing is perfect (ipods (slightly), apple care .mac etc are all overpriced), but it really is soooo much better now than it was not that long ago... the new offerings are much better performance to cost as well..

I am all for lower prices to but in most cases they are a lot better now, another 5c on the exchange rate (say to 80c) would make a nice difference again imagine another 8% off the price ! go the aussie dollar !

Gosh I know someone who would be so proud of me defending the .au prices.. hey kompressor
  • Reply 2 of 10
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Its the same in Singapore. The fall invalue of US dollars does not seem to have an effect on local prices of Mac products.

Wats worse is that the education discount is only a meagre 2-5%....
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Apple Australia pricing sucks big time - they're getting way too much profit for what is already marked-up!

consider iSight, for example: link
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Apple Australia pricing sucks big time - they're getting way too much profit for what is already marked-up!

consider iSight, for example: link

That thread is about prices in USD, it has to be much higher in AU.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

You might have to remember that the prices of local stuff is prob fixed at a certain rate when they price the range up, so even tho today its 0.739c when the order went thru the local pricelist might have been priced at 0.700c. This is why some item seem to price drop quickly (new powerbooks dropped overnight) and others not (imacs were overdue for a price drop for ages) depending on local stock levels. The GST, import duties add 15% ish to the price, freight ex factory reasoning I cant see cause if they ship from asia direct here (most items assembled there) then surely we must be at least the same if not cheaper for that cost involved to the US...

good points. The only thing which gets me is that there is such a big difference in retail pricing. All the import duties freight et al could not be any more than the US has to pay.

The price that Apple Aus pays versus Apple US for getting stock in to the country should be the same. Your point about aus being closer to Asia should mean that the landed cost should be less in Aus. However, this is not the case. We seem to pay freight and sales tax etc on the US retail price.

But this doesn't seem to be limited to Apple. Many electronic retailers seem to have very high prices.

An alter-example would be cars: A new mini is cheaper to buy in Aus than it is in the UK. Generally, cars are cheaper here. Cheep cheep.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

That thread is about prices in USD, it has to be much higher in AU.

You're right - but I wasn't clear with my original post... I was referring to my input in that thread, about that Au$ pricing:

Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

You think they're expensive ... Au$259 for one!

Based on today's exchange rate ($149US -> $201Au) Apple Australia is adding a further $58 to the conversion... roughly speaking, that's an almost 30% mark-up on a product that already has it's own retail mark-up included!

Arrrrgh!

• Reply 7 of 10
    Try this on for size, prices in the states are before tax.

I live in Hawaii, which 4% sales tax, thats not included or calculated till you get to the till. Other states have much higher tax rates, upto 10% or so. Some have none ( Oregon ). Once you factor in local tax You might find that Aus is a bit better.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    I think u will find that most electronic products are more expensive downunder... Apple is just doing what everybody else is. Local importers rely heavily on the USD, they need to add some safety margins just incase the Aussie dollar starts falling again. American importers do not need to worry about this since they buy and sell the goods at the same currency...

Want American prices? buy in America.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Try this on for size, prices in the states are before tax.

I live in Hawaii, which 4% sales tax, thats not included or calculated till you get to the till. Other states have much higher tax rates, upto 10% or so. Some have none ( Oregon ). Once you factor in local tax You might find that Aus is a bit better.

Our prices are 10% GST inclusive. Yes, it's a little better, but still our prices are way higher than the 10% or so added to the US price.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lain

[snip]...

Want American prices? buy in America.

Thought about it, but the trade off is no warranty outside of the States. For this rerason, I'll stick with purchasing down here, b/c the warranty is important on technical gear - if it were a piece of furniture or a book/CD, then no worries - I'd buy from the US direct.