Buy 12" PB now or wait till MWSF?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking to buy my first Mac. I wanted to get it before Christmas, but after hearing some rumors about there might be revisions to the powerbook line at MWSF I am skeptical about ordering before Christmas. What do you think the chances are of revisions in the 12" PB line? Also, is there any type of sales exchange thing that I could return my order within a certain amount of time? I am going to custom order my PB online with an educational discount.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I doubt there will be much of anything happening to the PB line at MWSF so you may be safe to buy now. The PBs just got updates not too long ago so anything that happens will be minimal. However, if you don't need your computer before Christmas, wait. It won't kill you, and you can be safer that way. If you do a BTO type order you will not be able to return your computer should something faster come out even a week later. Wait for MWSF and see if anything happens, a few more weeks won't kill you, but I do feel sorry for you because you don't have a Mac, life must suck.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

but I do feel sorry for you because you don't have a Mac, life must suck.

Get it now, I highly doubt they'll be updated, they are GREAT machines, my favorite Mac ever except the Color Classic, and maybe PowerBook G3 "Pismo" and Duo. The new revs have good graphics chips unlike the first models which I have too. Not much will be added except a few Mhz next rev and maybe better gfx and lit keyboard.

Some advice: buy a stick of 256 or 512 RAM from www.dealram.com as it is too expensive from Apple but OS X needs more than 256 megs of memory.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Wait until MacWorld if you can.

Better safe than sorry - I mean if you really need a machine now then grab one, but why not wait?

It's only 22 days away.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    When I bought my iBook about 2 years back, a better and cheaper model was rolled out two weeks after my purchase.

The feeling sucked!! 22 days isn't that long a wait. And besides, more credible rumours will probably come out nearer MWSF.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    It seems like you don't need it immediately... in that case, wait until after MWSF (it won't hurt ) and then you can purchase with confidence that it isn't going to be updated immediately after you have bought it.

did that make sense? \
  • Reply 6 of 15
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    What if there are no new PowerBooks at MWSF, a very likely scenario? Will b0nehead have to wait "just" another month? IMO, the current Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook 1Ghz is an absolutely brilliant machine. If you want one, and especially if you've been living without a Mac until now, buy it now. The waiting game is a slippery slope. Unless you like wasting your time waiting for nothing, there's no point in playing.

What matters in the end is what you do with your computer, not a few more Mhz or MB or whatnot. If you don't have that new PowerBook, you won't be able to do anything with it. So get it now, and start doing stuff.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I agree with Escher, it was just updated, very unlikely it will be. Apple has stopped waiting for MWSF to release important updates. Which is good.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with Escher's sentiment: "If you don't have that new PowerBook, you won't be able to do anything with it. So get it now, and start doing stuff", I also think that it is unwise to purchase a new product immediately before an Apple show/event of some sort. Even though Apple does not use MWSF all the time for important updates, it can't hurt to wait that bit longer to put your own mind at rest. Besides, if you don't need it right now then you shouldn't feel pressured to buy it right now.

It *is* inevitable that your purchase will depreciate the moment you walk out of the store with it - but (and this is just for me), the peace of mind, knowing that you investigated "all the options" before commiting to the purchase helps. I'd be livid if I bought now and twenty days or so later a revision was released, especially since that thought is in the back of my mind now, and I chose not to listen to it. It would kind of suck.

I know that it would not make the computer that I purchased any less usable, but in terms of satisfaction, it's nice to know that you didn't "blow your wad o' cash" on a product that was superseded within a week or two of buying it!

Of course, since they were just updated, it seems highly unlikely that there will be another update so soon. However, you and I don't know this, and - personally - I'd be willing to wait it out and have it *confirmed* before I made up my mind to buy ... but that's just me. \
  • Reply 9 of 15
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    What's Apple return policy? Ten days?

So wait another twelve days or so and buy it ten days before MW.

If there's an announcement, return it...if not, keep it.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I'm really excited about getting a Mac. I have been waiting for 3 months to order, and I will be home from school over Christmas break. I've been wanting edit my film that I have been shooting. It's a real tough decision for me. Also, I want to have something to play with over Christmas break, and if I order around MWSF it will probably take another 2 weeks for it to arrive. I just hate the feeling though of buying a product and then they come out with the newer model right after you buy it at the same price.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

What's Apple return policy? Ten days?

So wait another twelve days or so and buy it ten days before MW.

If there's an announcement, return it...if not, keep it.

I think that policy doesn't apply to a custom order. So, if you do order it custom, you can't do a return for refund of any sort.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by b0nehead

I've been wanting edit my film that I have been shooting. It's a real tough decision for me. Also, I want to have something to play with over Christmas break, and if I order around MWSF it will probably take another 2 weeks for it to arrive.

b0nehead: Your circumstances are perfect for ordering your new PowerBook immediately. The likelihood that Apple will update the PowerBooks at MWSF is slim. Assuming there are no new PowerBooks at MWSF, you'll be kicking yourself if you wait. Just think of all the editing you'll be able to do over the holidays. That's exactly the kind of "do something" I was talking about.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

It's only 22 days away.

We're not counting down, are we?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by b0nehead

]I'm really excited about getting a Mac. I have been waiting for 3 months to order, and I will be home from school over Christmas break. I've been wanting edit my film that I have been shooting. It's a real tough decision for me. Also, I want to have something to play with over Christmas break, and if I order around MWSF it will probably take another 2 weeks for it to arrive. I just hate the feeling though of buying a product and then they come out with the newer model right after you buy it at the same price.

bOnehead: I'm presuming that your Christmas break is different to ours in Australia - it's the end of our school year, so we get six weeks off! If you can't bear to wait any longer - and considering that you want to play with the computer over Christmas to edit your movies - then it might be worthwhile springing for the "new toy", so you can use it now! as Escher points out.

However, 2 things:

1) If you custom order a Mac, I don't know how long it will take to arrive at your place - will you actually receive it in time to do any work before heading back to school? If not, then there's no harm in waiting is there?

2) Also, bear in mind what MCQ advised - BTO machines may have a no return policy.

Anyway, I hope that whenever you decide to purchase your PowerBook, you get much enjoyment out of using it and the Mac OS!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't think it's likely that the PowerBooks will get an update at MWSF. More likely sometime in spring. If you wait until MWSF, and they're not announced, then you'll think, "Well, the next revision is just that much closer now, maybe I should just wait." Then you might end up waiting a REALLY long time. Imagine someone waiting for a revision to the 15" PowerBook. The model was unchanged (except for a price drop) from November 2002 to October 2003. If someone wanted to get one in April, and decided to wait a month or two to see how things panned out, then waited a little more, then by July they'd be biting their nails, in "any day now" mode. They'd still have three months to wait. That scenario probably happened to at least a few people, and on top of the six months they waited in anticipation of a new model, they probably also had to wait a month for their machine to ship to them, and then another month to send it back for service a few times until they got a flawless one.

Apple has more pressing matters to attend to with their product line. The PowerBooks got a recent revision, and besides, where would they go if they were updated? They just got a new case and new features like Firewire 800, backlit keyboards, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, and the best mobile graphics chips available, and the G5 generates too much heat to put into a PowerBook. So if they did update the PowerBooks now, you're looking at a very minor increase in clock speed and really nothing else. Much more likely is an update to the consumer desktops at MWSF and a speed bump to the PowerMac G5s in late January or early February. I would guess at PowerBook and iBook revisions around April, May or June.

The moral of my long, rambling post? Buy now, you'll like it.