iTunes "psychologically" discourages piracy?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay. You must be thinking from the title "What the heck is he talking about!!??" But a thought just occured to me. When I am on the Mac using iTunes, I would rather have whole cds or songs I have purchased legally. I find on the PC with Winamp, it is so stinkin' simple to drag a song into it and play it. So when I download a file, I simply do that. In iTunes, there is no way to play a song without adding it to the "library". And I know so far they sound very similar, but when I am browsing through my iTunes library, I find myself wanting to have everything organized. If something from the CDDB does not register right, I take the time to change it.

On winamp it is drag, drop, there. But if you open a new mp3 file, your old playlist is destroyed. (You can save them of course, but that can be a hassle in and of itself) Shoot. This all made sense in my head just 5 minutes ago lol. Anyways, on iTunes I guess I do get that feeling of "lets keep this organized!" When you download from the music store, all of the info is there already and you do not have to worry about directories. On Windows, you play your stuff through the directories. (Unless you use iTunes for Windows of course.) I have stopped pirating music a good while back because I want to support the artists, and it just "feels" better, but with iTunes I rarely have an inclination to go and just download a song. Call me crazy, but I think this could be one of the reason the music companies are on Apple's side right now.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There is a lot of psychology used in iTunes. First they are competing with other MP3 programs, second they are competing with P2P networks. They need a little "boost" to help them out. The "one click buy" option is a huge "psychological bait" tactic that is very effective. It's only $0.99 that is not much. Until the end of the month. Also having the green icon under your library (instead of a button like "burn disk") keeps the memory of the music store fresh in your mind.

There are other gimics, but my battery is drained. Down to 30 min now. I need a new battery. It is almost 4 years old though.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    one of my profs put it best when discussing the iTMS.

He said that the price makes it an impulse buy. People spend more than 0.99 on a cup of coffee.

thats the best way i've heard it phrased.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

one of my profs put it best when discussing the iTMS.

He said that the price makes it an impulse buy. People spend more than 0.99 on a cup of coffee.

thats the best way i've heard it phrased.

Thats a great way to look at it. $.99 isn't a lot of money at all, especially when considering that most people drink cups of coffee that cost between $5 and $10 everyday. I like it!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    what the hell coffee you drinking for $10?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    You have paid up to $10 for a cup of coffee? Wow.

Anyhow, this is more a digital hub topic since it is about iTunes. Moving.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Thats a great way to look at it. $.99 isn't a lot of money at all, especially when considering that most people drink cups of coffee that cost between $5 and $10 everyday. I like it!

I have a rock to keep away tigers for you...only $99
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

what the hell coffee you drinking for $10?

http://www.starbucks.com/