audio apps

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
is there something out there like adobe audition? for mac,

any help you could really help me out all i've ever used really was soundedit and PeakDV and when I saw the multitracking of Audition I was like gah I want that. any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

is there something out there like adobe audition? for mac,

any help you could really help me out all i've ever used really was soundedit and PeakDV and when I saw the multitracking of Audition I was like gah I want that. any ideas?

MOTU's Digital Performer 4.1. It is the best audio app available when you consider price/performance/hardware and software compatability.

I think there is a review of it in this month's MacWorld.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Digital Performer is, what, about $700?

I have the feeling that kraig isn't really looking to pay that much - and if he was, I'd recommend Digidesign's Mbox with Pro Tools LE over DP in a minute.

And it's only about $500.

As far as cheaper audio solutions..

Audacity

PlayerPro

Jasmine X

Bias Peak
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

I have the feeling that kraig isn't really looking to pay that much - and if he was, I'd recommend Digidesign's Mbox with Pro Tools LE over DP in a minute.

And it's only about $500.

As far as cheaper audio solutions..

Audacity

PlayerPro

Jasmine X

Bias Peak

He didn't specify what he wanted to pay, so I suggested the BEST product that I know. If he buys the Mbox he will have a device that delivers cut rate audio quality at a cut rate price. The software is nice, but only works well with ProTools gear. That's like suggesting that someone buy a Wintel PC because they are cheaper and they are what everyone else uses.

I always suggest Digital Performer for 2 reasons:

1. It is better software and cheaper than ProTools (LE is not the full program).

2. You can use it with MOTU's gear or countless other hardware options as your needs grow.

If it is too expensive, then the Peak products are a way to go.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    I like DP a lot! (Be warned if you're using a PB, though, as currently it has been reported as not as efficient under OS X as it once was under OS 9 ... still, I believe MOTU is working on a fix! )

That said, I don't know much about adobe audition, but here are two cheap MIDI/audio products: tracktion and intuem. Hope this is of some help.

(smilie overkill?)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Last week i just bought the 'crossgrade' of DP4.11

for $395, which is a fantanstic price(complete program!)

The list for crossgrading covers alot of programs and they need not be the high end program (i switched w/ logic audio, NOT gold or platinum, they accept deck LE,too)

DP is very strong in that you can use multiple hardware inputs at once (including the Apple system audio input of your Mac w/ other hardware).

It's Mac only for OS X, check it out...

also the new Mackie Spike w/ Tracktion looks like an interface that can compete w/ the mbox (at least it looks like it!)

http://www.mackie.com/products/spike/