Should I get Airport base station?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My powerbook is on its way. Should I pick up an airport express base station? Also, what about the bluetooth mouse? I have never had a powerbook and am not sure what I should have. Any advice? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    You might want to consider saving ~$150 and getting a d-link.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Feature for feature the Apple device is way behind.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by HHansen726

My powerbook is on its way. Should I pick up an airport express base station? Also, what about the bluetooth mouse? I have never had a powerbook and am not sure what I should have. Any advice? \

I have the 802.11g Linksys Wireless Router.

I works perfectly. The box said it was compatible with windows, but it is administered through the web, so it doesn't matter at all.

Works flawlessly with my 15" Albook.

Whatever you get, make sure it is 802.11g, not 802.11b (or 802.11a for that matter). You will appreciate the increased speed.

As for the Apple Wireless mouse: I have one, and I like it. Just remember it is still one button.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Apple's current implementation of 802.11g is known as airport extreme

the basestations are overpriced. as mentoined earlier in the thread you would be better offer getting a 802.11g wireless router from another company

I just got my apple bluetooth keyboard and it works great. I use a logitech cordless mouse that has a receiver plugged into one of the usb ports on my powerbook

my next mouse will be bluetooth, but it won't be from apple unless it has a scroll wheel and two buttons.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

I have the 802.11g Linksys Wireless Router.

Just to clarify, I have this one.

• Reply 6 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Just about any 802.11g router should work fine. I just got a Netgear 802.11g router, and it works fine with my Powerbook.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    If that's the case, do you need to buy an Apple AE card, or will any 802.11g card work?

Also, could you put an 802.11g card in the PC slot of a TiBook and have it work at Airport Extreme speeds?