Playing VCD problem in Jaguar and Quicktime...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I got a problem with playing VCDs in 10.2.3 and Quicktime.I get an input/output error when i try to open the .Dat VCD file in Quicktime player. But on the same computer, 10.3, panther, VCD's in QT work fine. I have both Jaguar and Panther installed with all available updates and latest version of Quicktime Player too.

Does anyone know what the problem is ?

Thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I wasn't even aware that Mac OS X could play VCDs without 3rd party software. It must be a new feature in Panther.

So, I'm chocking this one up to simply "because you're using 10.2.x".

• Reply 2 of 5
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wlanei2

Hi,

I got a problem with playing VCDs in 10.2.3 and Quicktime.I get an input/output error when i try to open the .Dat VCD file in Quicktime player. But on the same computer, 10.3, panther, VCD's in QT work fine. I have both Jaguar and Panther installed with all available updates and latest version of Quicktime Player too.

Does anyone know what the problem is ?

Thx

You can't play VCDs with Quicktime in OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You can play VCD files in OSX you just can't easily read them off the CD. The way I copy the files is to launch QT in OS 9, open the file then save from QT to the HD (be sure to click the option to save the file as a self contained movie).

Perhaps there is some confusion with QT? If you have the newer QT for Panther it may not work as well with Jaguar. Do you have separate versions of QT for 10.2.3 and 10.3?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    www.videolan.org its free, its tasty, and now comes with less calories than ever!

also mplayer is good...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    eepeep Posts: 17member
    Copy the files across, change the extension from .dat to .mpg play them in quicktime. it works, because i did it 20 minutes ago.