Best/Easiest "DJ" program

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Over the holiday season I will be playing music for family and friends at a get together. I will be using my new 15" powerbook to play the music, and use my iPod as a backup incase something happens to the powerbook. I love iTunes, however, the abrupt cut inbetween songs when they are switched isn't graceful. So, I was wondering what a good, simple dj program is to accomplish this task. I am going to be doing this for fun, so I would like to spend no money. Anything recommended would be helpful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    yo- I think in itunes, in the preferences menu- under effects, you can check crossfade playback and use the slider to determine the crossfade time. This should eliminate the hard stop/start between songs.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    yeah, I just realized that too, and that should be sufficient for what I am doing. Another thing then, can I hook up my powerbook to a TV, and have the visualizer play on the TV while control iTunes on the powerbook?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Just use the s-video to rca cable that came with the book

it plugs in on the right near the back

in system prefs you can set it to mirror the display onto your tv

works well for me, although the itunes visuals look better on the computer than on the tv
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

Just use the s-video to rca cable that came with the book

it plugs in on the right near the back

in system prefs you can set it to mirror the display onto your tv

works well for me, although the itunes visuals look better on the computer than on the tv

Agreed, however, I am wondering if there is a way so I can use the iTunes visualizer on the TV, and separately be able to control iTunes.(change order of songs, search for songs, etc.) When the iTunes visualizer is on, there is no way to do this, so I am wondering if anyone knows of a workaround?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

Agreed, however, I am wondering if there is a way so I can use the iTunes visualizer on the TV, and separately be able to control iTunes.(change order of songs, search for songs, etc.) When the iTunes visualizer is on, there is no way to do this, so I am wondering if anyone knows of a workaround?

workaround would be using bluetooth+bluetooth enabled cellphone(I have a SE t610)+salling clicker.. might be a bit of overkill though
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericg

workaround would be using bluetooth+bluetooth enabled cellphone(I have a SE t610)+salling clicker.. might be a bit of overkill though

I don't have a bluetooth phone, however, that sounds interesting... I am not understanding though how that would work? Excuse my ignorance.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cross-fading songs in itunes is really cool if you play a whole playlist, but it doesn't seem to work when you manually change a song (click on next). Is there anything like a plugin, or better, shortcut-key I haven't found, or isn't it possible to fade to a song when I decide to click on another song before the last one ended?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

I don't have a bluetooth phone, however, that sounds interesting... I am not understanding though how that would work? Excuse my ignorance.

Well basically the combination of a bluetoothadaptor + clicker software + bluetooth telephone will let you use your telephone as a remote for.. in your case iTunes (but also possible to use it with Quicktime, Keynote, Powerpoint, Mplayer, VLC and more)

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/