iWrite (?) Trademark Applied For

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/macosx10322.html

>>>>>A reader also noted that Apple filed for a trademark for the name "iWrite" under the classification of "computer hardware/software." Apple filed the application on September 12 and it is waiting for assignment to an examining attorney. (Apple also filed for this trademark in the Australian trademark office; it is currently under examination there.) For some context, it should be noted that Apple frequently trademarks names that it never uses for a shipping product.<<<<<

iWrite, UWrite, WeWrite...

And a little more Writing Here:

http://www.macrumors.com/

>>>>> noted briefly on ThinkSecret, Apple appears to have trademarked a new name... "iWrite" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

"iWrite" was filed for trademark on September 12, 2003 and is categorized under "Computer hardware; computer software".

Interestingly, the trademark is registered under "Appple Computer, Inc." (with an extra 'p') so will not come up on a routine search for "Apple Computer". The Attorney of Record, however, is consistent with an attorney that has filed previous trademarks for Apple. "iWrite" is also a pending trademark under the Australian trademark office (and listed properly under "Apple Computer").

There have been many long-standing rumors of a new Apple-branded word processor and office suite. Earlier rumors have labeled the word processing component as "Document".

Perhaps the most intriguing past information, however was Apple's recruitment of three developers from Gobe Software. Gobe developed an innovative office suite for Windows, Linux and BeOS, and -- after a brief disappearance -- seems to have returned.

Add to this recent reliable rumors of a new Apple application due as early as January. Any connection, however, is simply speculative. Readers should also remember that Apple has trademarked a number of terms in the past, not all resulting in shipping products.<<<<<

Your iWrite? "May I borrow your iWrite?" "My, what a nice iWrite!"

Whaddya think?

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    For all the Barry Manilow fans out there:

iWrite the songs?

OK, bad joke.

So? tablet or word processor? Or both!? My first guess would be a word processor, a tablet should sound like a lot more than a writing surface with matching pen.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    patent != trademark
  • Reply 3 of 27
    the company owning the patent is appple, not apple?-

secondly:

the presentation tool is not named iPresent, the listening tool is not named iListen?

(yes your're right - tools for dvds and movies?)

so, when i write, the name of the tool is?.........

sorry, english is an alien language for me, but iWrite seems for me too? close?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    how about iChart, iGraph, iCreate, iMAke, iClean, iSpell, iSpeak, iOrganize, iControl, iLearn,

iQuit.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

how about iChart, iGraph, iCreate, iMAke, iClean, iSpell, iSpeak, iOrganize, iControl, iLearn,

iQuit.

iHave iNo iDea ..........
  • Reply 6 of 27
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I guess iWrite sounds like Future Hardware. \
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

I guess iWrite sounds like Future Hardware. \

It could be the long rumoured Apple-branded PDA, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    This is a trademark.

Quick reference:

Trademarks are distinctive names and logos identifying an entity, usually but not always commercial. A trademark's lifetime is that of the entity, as long as the trademark owner takes care to avoid letting the name become generic (generally by writing cease and desists to anyone who uses it generically.) Trademarks are frequently granted to more than one party if those parties want to use the marks in ways that will not get confused.

Copyright is a protection given to implementations of an idea, such as a novel or computer program. It usually lasts for the life time of its creator (if an individual) plus some additional time that depends on a country's copyright laws (so that if someone produces something and then dies immediately, anyone investing in that production or anyone dependent on that person will still see some income.) Work done for a business is usually automatically copyrighted by the business and the rights last a fixed term of anywhere between 50-90 years, depending on country.

Patents cover inventions - solutions to problems. The only thing you can pretty much patent everywhere is the principle behind a machine, though some countries also allow the patenting of algorithms and business methods. Patents usually, depending on country) last around 20 years.

They're all under the heading of "Intellectual property" which is probably why people confuse them, but actually they have very little in common. Some are useful (trademarks in particular), and some help provide incentives to others to produce new and wonderful things but are, unfortunately, commonly abused.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I changed 'Patent' to 'Trademark' in the thread title.

Moving to Software...
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I changed 'Patent' to 'Trademark' in the thread title.

Moving to Software...

hardware names can be trademarked too.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    The new Ink(well) software, but this tine with an input device as well?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    If you go by MacOS Rumors, this is certainly a software product.

Quote:

iWrite, as we are aware of it, is one of the names most seriously being considered for a new, professionally oriented spin-off of AppleWorks that would, as the name implies, primarily focus on Word Processing and a number of innovative features with which to manipulate, polish, and distribute what one writes with the application. It is not the same app we've been talking about as a likely addition to the iLife suite at Macworld San Francisco; iWrite is not likely to see the light of day for several more months at the least.

Personally, I can't wait. I need a decent word processor, and don't have the cash for Office. I really like the look of Mariner Write, but...

There is one thing I love in Word: the editing & collaboration feature. So that I can make a change, with notes, and send it to someone else so they can act on my suggestions. Then they do the same.

I've not seen any other word processor that does this.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    It seems (assuming Apple actually plans to do anything with this trademark) the most probable answer to this is a consumer level word processing application. Think TextEdit++. Perhaps it will have some stunning "Geez, only Apple could have thought of that...but why didn't I think of it feature" in it.

One other site suggests that this is NOT the rumored new iLife application (which I think might be something like iPublish...website publishing software).

iWrite as the first nail in the AppleWorks coffin makes much sense. First, Apple has the core technology to do it and do it well. Second, they can avoid too much direct comparison (and competition) with Microsoft Word by saying..."Well it's just a consumer (MAYBE pro-sumer) application...it doesn't really compete with Word." Third, it can be a more subtle "warning shot" to Microsoft...sort of like "Hey, it's just a consumer application right NOW...but..." Forth, it is pure Apple...it is the biggest bang for the buck. Chances are they know somthing like the fact that 92.3% of AppleWorks users use the word processor 87.5% of the time and nothing else. Also, when they DO use an AppleWorks database (for example) 91.4% of the time it is for a mail merge. Guess what...iWrite + AddressBook does this.

Apple appears to be (though they sometimes fail) trying VERY hard to build functionality that people actually find useful. In other words...not features just for the sake of features. They miss the mark at times. They come up short at times. But I really think this is what they are trying to do. They are about "less is more". Think like that and you are likely on the right track of where Apple is going next.

Having said all of that...there are (revived) rumors of a new digital lifestyle device that Apple has been working on for "over a year" that is poised for its debut.

Oh well...fun speculating anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joek

hardware names can be trademarked too.

Obviously. But this thread concerns software.

Or are you suggesting that Apple will go old school and roll out a dedicated hardware word processor called 'iWrite'?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i remember when the word "keynote" appeared in apple's list of trademarks, and we all (well, a lot of us) laughed it off as an apple inside-joke.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

But then again, MOSR is blowing it out the rectal area. It is, in short, someone who gleans the rumors from all other sites and then writes 'em up to make it look like he has inside info. Certainly an entertaining read, as well as a place to look for nice little write-ups of all the current gossip, but not to be reckoned with in the least.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Don't listen to MacOSRumors.

Why didn't they happen to mention iWrite before it was posted on other rumor sites? Because they make up information based on current rumors.

Remember rumors of iTunes 5? The next few days, they posted "We've seen beta's of iTunes 5..."

Remember rumors of VPC 7? The next day, they posted "We've seen an early alpha of VPC 7..."

it's all made up.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Obviously. But this thread concerns software.

Or are you suggesting that Apple will go old school and roll out a dedicated hardware word processor called 'iWrite'?

some people are suggesting it's a hardware product - pda or the like.

... and the trademark is classified under "Computer Hardware. Computer Software"
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Instead of hiring Gobe developers, I wonder why they didn't just license Open Office and mod and skin it. OO is open-source so conceivably they could do with OO what they did with FreeBSD.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Apple software with the "i" (iCal, iTunes, iPhoto, iSync, iChat, iMovie) works well with hardware (iPod, camera, palm iSight...), and stand alone apps doesn't have the "i" (Mail, Keynote, Safari...)

Could be coincidence.

But I think the "i" is referring to software regarding the digital hub.

Thus iWrite could be hardware (a light sketchbook and something to write notes) or a software but not a normal word processor.

Could be an app that enhance inkwell technology.

Or something that simplify notetaking and that you can sync with ipod or palm. (a mix between textedit and post-it).

Or a mix of hardware (a "new" input method: a pen without tablet) and software.