Multi-session burning: Roxio Toast?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Recent changes in the way I do things mean that I now need multi-session CD-burning capability. Is Roxio Toast the way to go? Any other advantages of Toast over the built-in Apple burner that I have been using until now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Recent changes in the way I do things mean that I now need multi-session CD-burning capability. Is Roxio Toast the way to go? Any other advantages of Toast over the built-in Apple burner that I have been using until now?

With Toast, you can copy directly from another CD. With the OSX burner you have to copy everything on your hd first.

Toast has more formats, like ISO 9660 (Windows), (Mac/Pc) or more exotic like CD-i.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I like Toast ok. It does the job. It's also faster than the Finder.

I'm going to piggy-back a question on yours, Chinney if you don't mind: Is there any way to get the default to NOT CLOSE the disc after burning? When I do a "toast it" contextual menu, that "close disc" box is always checked. I don't want to waste an entire CD-R on a 100k Word file. Any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Thanks for the basic confirmation on Toast. I guess that I'll buy it.

As for Pensieve's question, that's a good one. I think that my default preference would also be for "close disk" not to be checked.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Before you shell out the money for Toast, you should know that you can actually burn a multi-session CD using Disk Utility.

When you click "Burn" in Disk Utility, a sheet will drop down. If you click the disclosure triangle to see more options, you'll notice an option to "Leave disc appendable". The result will be an open CD that you can add sessions to later.

Now, that withstanding, I think Toast is a worthwhile piece of software to own.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Before you shell out the money for Toast, you should know that you can actually burn a multi-session CD using Disk Utility.

When you click "Burn" in Disk Utility, a sheet will drop down. If you click the disclosure triangle to see more options, you'll notice an option to "Leave disc appendable". The result will be an open CD that you can add sessions to later.

Now, that withstanding, I think Toast is a worthwhile piece of software to own.

Thanks. I'll try that and see if it is sufficient before I spend the $$$ on Toast. It does seem a bit of a bother to dig into Disk Utility to do this. I wonder why Apple would not have made that an option within the standard Burn. If I get time I'll fool around to see if I can make this easier to do (maybe a Script??, although I have no experience with those yet).

Thanks again for your advice.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Trying this now, but I must say that I don't see any special "burn" command in Disk Utility. Is that 10.3 only? I am still running 10.2.