freeing up space?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hello everyone:

i am always running out of space on my tibook's little 40gb harddrive. i move a lot of stuff onto my external but I would like to know how i would go about freeing up space on my powerbooks internal drive. i know that there are language files or smthg along those lines that i can delete. can anyone give me any pointer of stuff to delete that will magically let me carry more files around with me. thank you for any help.

Felipe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    This will be a good start

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9281
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

This will be a good start

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9281

It doesn't work on Panther. There's a thread some place around here that asks this question. It just came up recently... I can't remember what it was called.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    You could always try Omni DiskSweeper. I use it and it's a great little shareware app for finding where all your space has gone.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    i think if you go to www.bombich.com, theres a prog that removes all those .lproj files... check it out.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i think if you go to www.bombich.com, theres a prog that removes all those .lproj files... check it out.

That was the program listed above. Again, it hasn't been tested to work with Panther and it looks like it's not going to be.

Count me in as another vote for OmniDiskSweeper. It works great, even if you don't register it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

It doesn't work on Panther. There's a thread some place around here that asks this question. It just came up recently... I can't remember what it was called.

??? It did for me ... the 2nd line in the comments section is from a panther user to..
  • Reply 7 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    This will probably do the job.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    yeah, that would totally solve my problem, but still too many dollars for too few gigabytes, no?

thanks for all the suggestions, delocalizer seemed to work for me, i'm giving omnidisksweeper a shot now. thanks again..

FELIPE
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You can do it in the Finder in Panther.

In the search field, top right, type .lproj.

Watch all the amazing files pop up!

Sort by name, select all those that aren't en.lproj or English.lproj. Drag to Trash.

That's it.

Some you aren't going to be able to delete (those in /System - shoulda told it just to install English... ), but otherwise this should do it.