Exposed: The Carlyle Group and corruption in Republican adminstrations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Verbal Assassin

You sir are a dumbass. All politicians are corrupt, the whole United States government is. Crawl in a hole moron democrat.

He was being sarcastic..
  • Reply 22 of 45
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Republican cannibalism!

Want fries with that?

hehe.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Maybe you guys should do a little checking to see who's actually been in the employ of the Carlyle group.

As well as Haliburton/Brown&Root and Bechtel.

Or the AFL-CIO or the NEA and their connections with the DNC? Oh wait that's another thread that no one will start.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Or the AFL-CIO or the NEA and their connections with the DNC? Oh wait that's another thread that no one will start.

Even if there's some connection there, how many people has the National Endowment for the Arts killed? Or the AFL-CIO? Or rather, actions that were taken to benefit the NEA or AFL-CIO (to be more accurate) as is the case here.

But, you're right, no one wants to start that thread. It's not sexy.

Really though, are you equating the NEA with the Carlyle group? I'm sure there are billions upon billions hanging in the balance at the NEA headquarters.

"Scott, meet Strawman."

"Strawman, meet Scott."

You two should get along swimmingly.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Not that nea you dolt.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:

Not that nea you dolt.

Umm, what NEA then?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    That was a very good documentary. Quite insightful. It really did an excellent job of laying out potential ethics violations and potential for corruption.

But I don't think it was a piece that actually claimed there was corruption. It did little if anything to bring to light instances of actual corruption, but did a great job outlining some of the shadier practices that take place, and some questionable employment, and how these things have the potential of leading to corruption.

I'd call this one of the fairer pieces I've seen in a while.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Umm, what NEA then?

This NEA.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

This NEA.

Actually, it's the National Education Association.

But tell us about your NEA.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    The NEA I linked to is a group more similar to what Carlyle does and has also been associated with political figures. To what extent is mostly a matter of opinion I guess, so I won't make any sort of claims. But that's the group I assumed he was referring to...
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:

The NEA I linked to is a group more similar to what Carlyle does and has also been associated with political figures.

So, are you going to give us a who's who?
  • Reply 32 of 45
    I don't have the who's who bookmarked, nor do I care to get into it. He asked which NEA, and I posted a link to which one I thought was being mentioned. Nothing more.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Then go start a thread about it you dolt.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I don't have the who's who bookmarked, nor do I care to get into it. He asked which NEA, and I posted a link to which one I thought was being mentioned. Nothing more.

If you have nothing to add to the thread then get out.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

If you have nothing to add to the thread then get out.

I added to the thread. When asked "Which NEA", and given no response, I attempted to assist pensieve out with a link. Is that not contribution to a thread? Ah, I thought so. So shut the hell up.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

Why would you need to bookmark it when it's right there on the site?

Here's what you said:

Quote:

The NEA I linked to is a group more similar to what Carlyle does and has also been associated with political figures. To what extent is mostly a matter of opinion I guess, so I won't make any sort of claims.

Then what's this 'opinion' of yours?
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Why would you need to bookmark it when it's right there on the site?

Here's what you said:

Then what's this 'opinion' of yours?

I don't have an opinion on it, actually. Boy you guys sure like to get into fights don't you? Let me spell this out clearly for you:

When NEA was mentioned, and not linked to, I personally assumed it to be the NEA I linked to. Not because I believe there is some inherent Democratic corruption involving it, but because I've seen it referenced on more than one occasion as associating itself with political figures. And it is a company similar to Carlyle. So I drew the conclusion this was the NEA being talked about.

The opinion I speak of is the opinion people choose to form about how active politicians, past and present, have been in dealings associated with the NEA and what the extent of those dealings may mean.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

The opinion I speak of is the opinion people choose to form about how active politicians, past and present, have been in dealings associated with the NEA and what the extent of those dealings may mean.

Well, maybe you should take the time to compare them, since when you do, you will realize they have little in common.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

Well, maybe you should take the time to compare them, since when you do, you will realize they have little in common.

I feel bad for rageous. He walked into a fight that Scott was trying to pick (unsuccessfully). So, Scott, how are the NEA and AFL-CIO like Carlyle?

How many people have NEA and AFL-CIO been responsible for killing? And how much did they make from it?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

On March 3, 2001, just weeks after George W Bush's inauguration, the conservative Washington lobbying group Judicial Watch issued a press release. It said:

"(Washington, D.C.) Judicial Watch, the public interest law firm that investigates and prosecutes government abuse and corruption, called on former President George Herbert Walker Bush to resign immediately from the Carlyle Group, a private investment firm, while his son President George W. Bush is in office. Today's New York Times reported that the elder Bush is an "ambassador" for the $12 billion private investment firm and last year traveled to the Middle East on its behalf. The former president also helped the firm in South Korea.

"The New York Times reported that as compensation, the elder Bush is allowed to buy a stake in the Carlyle Group's investments, which include ownership in at least 164 companies throughout the world (thereby by giving the current president an indirect benefit). James Baker, the former Secretary of State who served as President George W. Bush's point man in Florida's election dispute, is a partner in the firm. The firm also gave George W. Bush help in the early 1990's when it placed him on one of its subsidiary's board of directors.

"This is simply inappropriate. Former President Bush should immediately resign from the Carlyle Group because it is an obvious conflict of interest. Any foreign government or foreign investor trying to curry favor with the current Bush Administration is sure to throw business to the Carlyle Group. And with the former President Bush promoting the firm's investments abroad, foreign nationals could understandably confuse the Carlyle Group's interests with the interests of the United States government," stated Larry Klayman, Judicial Watch Chairman and General Counsel.

"Questions are now bound to be raised if the recent Bush Administration change in policy towards Iraq has the fingerprints of the Carlyle Group, which is trying to gain investments from other Arab countries who [sic] would presumably benefit from the new policy," stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton."

The Best Enemies Money Can Buy