Apple really messed up order and maybe my credit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The whole buying process of my first Apple started off well, but just when things were looking like smooth sailing, Apple screwed it up. I talked to a customer service rep about a week ago about ordering a 12" PB that was supposed to be billed on or after Dec. 20th. This month I?ve put ALOT of money on my credit card and didn't want to get in any credit troubles, so I wanted to put it on my next pay period. At the time, the customer service rep ensured me that my credit card would be billed on or after the 20th, the start of my next credit card period. I must have stressed this 15 times during our conversation. Apple processes the credit card transaction right before the product is shipped. Time went past and I was curious to see how the whole process was going, so I called them today. It appears that it is in the shipping process! The new customer rep told me that he could do nothing about it. So after I stressed to Apple that I wanted it billed on or after Dec. 20th, they go on and ship it before that date. And since my product is custom configured, I cannot return it. In the end, this could end up giving me horrible credit. I feel that I should deserve something from Apple for their mistake. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:

The whole buying process of my first Apple started off well, but just when things were looking like smooth sailing, Apple screwed it up. I talked to a customer service rep about a week ago about ordering a 12" PB that was supposed to be billed on or after Dec. 20th. This month I?ve put ALOT of money on my credit card and didn't want to get in any credit troubles, so I wanted to put it on my next pay period. At the time, the customer service rep ensured me that my credit card would be billed on or after the 20th, the start of my next credit card period. I must have stressed this 15 times during our conversation. Apple processes the credit card transaction right before the product is shipped. Time went past and I was curious to see how the whole process was going, so I called them today. It appears that it is in the shipping process! The new customer rep told me that he could do nothing about it. So after I stressed to Apple that I wanted it billed on or after Dec. 20th, they go on and ship it before that date. And since my product is custom configured, I cannot return it. In the end, this could end up giving me horrible credit. I feel that I should deserve something from Apple for their mistake. What do you think?

Wait, huh? That does not make sense...

Are you saying you didn't want it shipped until Dec. 20th... why didn't you just buy it later

Am I just confused?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You mean you're going to go over your limit on your card?

Send them a check.

You might have been better off waiting to order it... ship dates are only estimates, you know. The rep likely was assuring you that your card would not be billed until it shipped. Exactly what day that is is out of their hands once the order is placed. I can't say I've ever heard of a customer asking that the order be *delayed*. After all, if you need that delay, not calling them is the best way to ensure it. \
  • Reply 3 of 18
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Refuse delivery and call the credit card company to hold payment. Let them take the battle with Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    The customer rep told me that she could have it so they halted shipping until the 20th or after. I did this because I figured I could save time by building it then and having it ship as soon as possible to beat the holiday rush.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Perfect username.

(sorry)

• Reply 6 of 18
    Well, I am not the one who messed this situation up. And I think b0nehead is a lot better name than "Clayton Magnet".
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Just to double-check... did you specifically state to the rep that you wanted it *built*, but *not* shipped, or just "It'll take that long, right?"

I mean, that's just a weird request. \

Sorry it bit you, but I really do think that calling later would made more sense. Simplest approach, and all that. But maybe that's just me.

And, you can contest it via your credit card company, but they're going to ask you for a reason.

"Did they not ship it?" "No, they shipped it."

"Was it not what you wanted?" "No, it was exactly what I ordered."

"Uh, then why are you contesting it?" "Because they charged me when they shipped it, earlier than I expected."

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

\

I'd just call your credit card company, see if you have room for the item, if not, request a line increase and see if they'll go for it. Face it, they *LOVE* to have you owe them more $ at a nice cushy interest rate. If they won't, send them a check for what's needed to bring it under your limit, ASAP. Send it to their overnight ohmygodiforgottosendthecheckin address for immediate crediting to your account.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    The problem exists in the fact that the customer service rep told me that it was possible to halt a shipping date, which would then also halt the payment. If I would order it around the 18th, I may not get it in time for Christmas, because Apple's build time range fluctuates. Therefore, I figured I could save some time and still get the payment process on a date in which I could pay during the next payment period.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    So you know for a fact that it's been charged to your credit card?

(And I'm not saying that the miscommunication didn't occur, I'm just saying that it's a really unusual request for you to have made, and I wouldn't be surprised if they misunderstood what it was you wanted.)
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I haven't called up my company, but from what the Apple representative said it should be charged since it was shipped.

I guess my parents are going to have to bail me out of this one... It just bothers me that something that was crystal clear to the sales rep got totally messed up. I explained numerous times that it had to be billed on or after the 20th.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I say you have every right to be upset, but first and foremost cover your ass. I'd call the sales department and raise a bit of a stink, not to get anything, but to at least make sure Apple knows they f-ed up.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by b0nehead

I haven't called up my company, but from what the Apple representative said it should be charged since it was shipped.

Yeah, but they also said it wouldn't happen until the 20th.

Sorry.

I'd get all the facts before panicking. Call your credit card company, double-check that the machine has actually shipped and not just in the build process, etc, etc. If after all that, it turns out that they did indeed not follow your instructions, call Apple and ask them to review the order sheet, and look for the instruction. If it is not there, ask to escalate this problem, giving them the sales rep's name. (You did get it, right? )

Always better to double-check all facts before presenting them to someone else, especially in customer complaint issues.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I already have the tracking numbers and invoice. So I know the card processed and it was shipped. Yes, I did manage to copy down all the sales reps (two of them) I talked to. Tomorrow I will get through and give them hell.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't understand. The charge must have gone through. So you didn't hit your limit. We're only 4 days from the 20th. Why is it so important to be in the next billing cycle?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Maybe he just doesn't want to pay any interest and won't have enough money to pay for everything on the next bill.

Anyway, I hate to say it, but I think ordering before the 20th was um... how do I say this nicely?

Yeah. I've been in several similar situations before, where I wanted a payment to go onto my next credit card billing. Each time, I waited until the billing date to place my order. Never had a problem.

I would never want to trust the fate of my finances to a powerless customer service rep. There are so many places the information needs to pass through that an unusual request is likely be missed by somebody along the way.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Really sorry to hear about your troubles b0nehead, b/c I knew how much you were looking forward to purchasing your new PB.

I hope you can manage your payments OK.

Anyway, once this is behind you, I hope you enjoy getting to actually use the PB over your Christmas holidays.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Learn to use credit responsibly.

The end.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Learn to use credit responsibly.

The end.

Okay, so I'm a jerk.

It it not Apple's resonsibility to manage your credit. They receive and ship thousands of orders a day. If you place an order expect to pay for it. Don't put more on your credit card than allowed. Don't put anything on your credit card unless you have the ability to pay it off. I'm not rippin' on you but you appear to be young. Bad credit habits now will destroy you in the future. If you can afford to pay off the addition of a new computer to your credit card balance next week, just wait until next week to purchase the computer, simple as that.