iTMS won't let me buy song even with U.S. address

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay, what's going on. I thought as long as you had an American address tied to your credit card, you could order from Apple.

I know this is the case with hardware purchases I've made in the past where stuff was shipped to my brother in the U.S.

I don't know...maybe it's some legality concerning downloading to a foreign country (Canada in this case).

Come on Apple, you've got 30 million up here who want to buy into your music store...what's the hold up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT THERE ISN'T A STORE IN CANADA.

It's the record labels.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT THERE ISN'T A STORE IN CANADA.

It's the record labels.

Hmm...you're telling me Apple can't iron out a deal with the record labels in Canada (who the majority of them are subsidaries of the larger U.S. labels)?

It's not a matter of ability, but rather a matter of will...or in this case probably, priorities.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Pricing, contracts, artists, lawyers, labels, copyright laws, etc. are the reason for delays in getting iTMS to Canada. It's not Apple's fault. It will happen eventually.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Hmm...you're telling me Apple can't iron out a deal with the record labels in Canada (who the majority of them are subsidaries of the larger U.S. labels)?

It's not a matter of ability, but rather a matter of will...or in this case probably, priorities.

In a recent article it shows Apple will take its ball and go home if people aren't willing to play by their rules. That is how you get uniform $.99/song $9.99/album instead of different prices and different DRM.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I can't wait for the iTunes Store to arrive!!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    iDunno, there are better free/cheap services, I like to actually own the media. I buy second hand CD's and books -- much cheaper than new. I know they'll last for years and years. If I want a reduced bit-rate file, I'll rip it myself or download it. Frankly, if I've no excuse to pay $.99 for something I could get better (2nd hand CD) or cheaper (file share), then I'm happier for it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

It's not the labels. It's the government and its backward rules. Canadian fair-use laws clash Apple's iTMS EULA. In Canada, anybody can borrow a CD and legally copy the music off it with certain considerations.

You can borrow a friends CD and copy it to a CD-R.

You cannot accept a pre-copied CD-R from your friend.

You can accept the original CD and a blank CD-R from your friend.

You cannot let people borrow the copy.

et cetera.

As a result, there is a tax on CD-R media, and now on other storage drives as well... And WHY? Why should I pay a music tax on a CD-R I use to back-up my files (non-copyrighted).

Anyway, how would any of this apply to digital distributed music?

They really need to hammer out a new law for digital music.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

As a result, there is a tax on CD-R media, and now on other storage drives as well... And WHY? Why should I pay a music tax on a CD-R I use to back-up my files (non-copyrighted).

Anyway, how would any of this apply to digital distributed music?

They really need to hammer out a new law for digital music.

actually, there is somewhat of a tax on cd-r's in the us as well., but only on cd-r's that are labels as MUSIC CD-Rs. many of the home audio cd recorders(not the computer based ones, but the ones for stereo equipement that can make audio cd's) require the music cd-rs(they have a bit turned on that says its a music cdr, they wont take regular cd-rs). so. if you dont have one of those things, dont get a cd-r that is made for music, get a regular cheap one. and avoid paying the riaa fee.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Frankly, if I've no excuse to pay $.99 for something I could get better (2nd hand CD) or cheaper (file share), then I'm happier for it.

Yes, but I'd much rather pay $.99 than fork out $5-10 for a used CD from which I only want one song.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    even worse - i read somewhere that in canada they're going to include music tax on every HD-equipped mp3-player!!babelbabel
  • Reply 11 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I tend to buy good "albums" with 6-10 real songs on them, and not newer pop singles fluff -- I DL those.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Apparently it was a matter of Apple's accounting system that didn't click in immediately.

All is fine...and I just purchased my first track.