ftp faster than samba

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I read somewhere that samba 3 is 2.5 times faster than W2003Server, but using my 800G3(10.3) as a file server from a W2K Pro Box, I get a very slow file transfer rate, using ftp improves the rate (from pc to mac). In the other hand copying a 700MB file from the winbox to the mac using the finder is a looot faster.

It's seem to be slow only the other way, do I have to update samba to the current release?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If your running 10.3 you should also already have Samba 3. There is a variety of reasons that you would be getting different speeds. Is it a hardwire, or are you on 802.11b/g? I get good speeds weather or not I transfer through ftp or Samba.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

If your running 10.3 you should also already have Samba 3. There is a variety of reasons that you would be getting different speeds. Is it a hardwire, or are you on 802.11b/g? I get good speeds weather or not I transfer through ftp or Samba.

All wire, Fast Ethernet, but is slow only when I copy a file to my ibook from a W2KPro PC. I meant the las release of Samba 3.0.x I think. Strange thing! I was trying to see if this is normal or not.Thanks.