Networking Troubles

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a new dell and an old compaq both of which suck... although i do have a very special Powerbook G4 8) on its way to my house. i need to network theese three (the two PCs arte in the same room) and i need two of them wired and 1 wireless what can i do if i want to network 1 apple and 2 PCs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    That's actually pretty simple. All you need is a router that offers both 802.11g and some LAN ports(ethernet). Just plug in the two PC's to the LAN ports, and pop an Airport Extreme card in the Powerbook. Then configure the router(probably via a web interface) to connect via whatever you use(PPPoE, static, DHCP, etc), and connect.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    well... in laymans?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Go down to the computer store, and grab a wireless router. Tell the salesperson(if they know anything) that you want a 802.11g router. Then go to apple.com or another apple retailer, and get an Aiport Extreme card. Install this in your laptop. Connect the desktops via Ethernet cables to the row of four ports on the back of the router.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ok thanks... i think i got it now.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    i found 1 and it has the following description...tell me if it will work.

"Connects to your network switch and lets you join your wireless- equipped PCs to your wired network

Based on breakthrough 54g wireless technology that makes file transfers and downloads faster than ever before, this access point can share data and peripherals, as well as a single Internet account among all your computers.

Nearly five times faster than the current Wi-Fi (802.11b) standard

Three times the operating range of 802.11a

Compatibile with all 802.11b devices

Adds wirelessly networked PCs to your wired network, or extends the coverage range of your wireless networking environment

Provides a wide wireless range, requiring 75% fewer access points to cover the same wireless area as an 802.11a network"
  • Reply 6 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

ok thanks... i think i got it now.

Make sure you get a regular Airport card for you powerbook. IIRC, you're getting a Titanium G4. It doesn't use the AE cards.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    It looks like this issue has probably been resolved, but I'm still moving it to the Genius Bar in case any others have some suggestions for future networking ideas.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Go down to the computer store, and grab a wireless router. Tell the salesperson(if they know anything) that you want a 802.11g router. [snip]

[ot]

A computer salesperson that actually knows something. If anyone finds one of these, please let me know.

[/ot]