AOL/iTunes Music Store Join Forces

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
AOL Members Now Have Instant Access to Apple's iTunes Music Store

Thursday December 18, 1:00 pm ET

Exclusive AOL Recordings Now Available on iTunes Music Store

DULLES, Va. and CUPERTINO, Calif., Dec. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- America Online, Inc. and Apple® today announced that AOL members can now preview, purchase and download songs available on AOL Music, the world's number one music destination, by simply clicking an iTunes® button placed next to featured tracks. The iTunes button will immediately launch Apple's iTunes Music Store, the world's number one download music service, and automatically select the featured track for preview or one-click purchase and download. In addition, AOL members can use their AOL Wallet or card-on-file to conveniently purchase and download songs from iTunes. Starting today, AOL is also offering iTunes Music Store customers the opportunity to purchase exclusive and original music from its popular music programs Sessions@AOL and Broadband Rocks.

"Now for the first time millions of music fans on AOL, who watch their favorite artists perform in an intimate studio setting on Sessions@AOL, have the option to purchase the song digitally via iTunes and then download it right to their iPod," said Evan Harrison, vice president and general manager, AOL Music.

"Apple and AOL are making it easy for AOL's millions of U.S. subscribers to legally purchase and download music," said Rob Schoeben, Apple's vice president of Applications Marketing. "AOL members can now conveniently use their AOL screen names and passwords to log onto the iTunes Music Store and use their AOL Wallet or card-on-file to immediately purchase and download songs."

AOL members who purchase songs from the iTunes Music Store will have the benefit of Apple's groundbreaking personal use rights and 99 cents-per-song pricing, and access to online gift certificates for family and friends, an "Allowance" feature that lets parents automatically deposit monthly funds into their kids' iTunes Music Store account and more than 5,000 audiobooks. The iTunes Music Store offers a catalog of more than 400,000 songs from all five major music companies and over 200 independent music labels.

"'Man on the Moon' is my favorite live song. This version turned out pretty well and a little different from what you'd get at a concert," said Michael Stipe, lead singer for R.E.M. "I had a blast doing Sessions@AOL and hope you enjoy this little slice of it. Prep the iPods, here we come, and thanks for listening."

Select exclusive recordings from AOL's breakthrough original music programs, Sessions@AOL and Broadband Rocks, are available immediately on the iTunes Music Store. Intimate, in-studio recordings from Sessions@AOL include:

50 Cent, "P.I.M.P."

Fleetwood Mac, "Landslide"

Toby Keith, "I Love This Bar"

R.E.M., "Man on the Moon"

Sarah McLachlan, "Fallen"

Jason Mraz, "The Remedy"

David Bowie, "Rebel Rebel"

Liz Phair, "Why Can't I"

Iggy Pop, "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

Jet, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"

Obie Trice, "Got Some Teeth"

The Bangles, "Manic Monday"

Pink, "Trouble"

Select exclusive live performance tracks from AOL's concert series

Broadband Rocks include:

-- Hilary Duff, "Come Clean"

-- Lou Reed, "Perfect Day"

-- Limp Bizkit, "Break Stuff"

According to AOL's recent Online Shopping Cities survey, music and video products top the list of planned online holiday gift purchases, with more than half of those surveyed planning to buy them. Sales of digital singles now outpace physical single sales by nearly a six-to-one margin, according to Nielsen SoundScan.*

AOL members can access the iTunes Music Store and more information at AOL Keyword: iTunes. Direct links to buy songs are being integrated throughout AOL's music programming and products beginning today.

Figures cited are for the week ending Dec. 14, 2003.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Apple released iTunes 4.2 to go with this:

http://www.macnn.com/news/22552

No big changes, probably, just the ability to use your AOL account to sign in, plus some performance/bug improvements.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member

WORST APPLE HOME PAGE EVER.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    another small feature addition:

MacMinute link

iTunes essentials compilations
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

some performance/bug improvements.

I've been getting 10 seconds of spinning rainbow cursor when switching to iTunes from a different app. Another thread discussed this and several others reported similar problems. This update seems to have fixed it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

WORST APPLE HOME PAGE EVER.

They've incorporated the AOL logo with an iPod. Looks fine to me. (Some people need to be an art critic I guess).

UPDATE: Me misspoke. That's the iChat logo. In any event, It's no big deal. AOL members won't care, it's the service that matters in the end.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I've been getting 10 seconds of spinning rainbow cursor when switching to iTunes from a different app. Another thread discussed this and several others reported similar problems. This update seems to have fixed it.

Yay! (Had the same problem on occasion)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

(Some people need to be an art critic I guess).

I'm distressed by the poor iPod drawing more than anything. Cripes! It looks like a 5 year old scribbled the thing in there...and notice how the headphone wires come across the black of the arm and underneath the yellow...yet the iPod somehow is grabbed by a mysterious black partial edge???

Where's pscates when you need him?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Let's see: QT 6.5, iTunes 4.2, XCode 1.1, Mac OS X 10.3.2, DVD SP 2.0.3, security update to come, did I miss anything?

I get the distinct impression that 1 Infinite Loop will be a ghost town between tonight and January 5.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    My parents use AOL dial-up.

It's nice to see Apple and AOL on the same boat.

I don't see why ppls are anti-AOL...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

My parents use AOL dial-up.

It's nice to see Apple and AOL on the same boat.

I don't see why ppls are anti-AOL...

Because it's the most annoying thing ever if you are used to cable.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Because it's the most annoying thing ever if you are used to cable.

AOL isn't only an ISP, it's a bunch of online services. You can have any internet connection you want and still use AOL.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    AOL does something sweet for promoting iTunes lately.

First, iTunes is showed on the welcome screen.

Second, Keyword: iTunes.

Third, there is a flash animation to teach people how iTunes works.

My parents are using AOL Optimized 9.0. The contents are good.