10.3.2 was bad news for me

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Sorry Apple but you blew it.

I am really disappointed in you, After having updated (a brand new imac 15" running a clean install of panther) to 10.3.2 I am now having to erase the HD and install from scratch to get the machine working again. The 10.3.2 update totaled the imac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Everything is perfect here (Once I installed QuickTime 6.5)
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Everything worked fine here.

Everything worked for all the people I know.

Complaining doesn't help.

If you would have, perhaps, given details or tried some of the "fix all" solutions in the Genius Bar FAQ, we could have probably helped you diagnose and correct your problem.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    well... you should wait and then update.

I updated 10.3.2 on 2 Macs (iBook 300 and MDD). No problem so far.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    10.3.2 here, and on 2 friends computers, and it's fine on all of 'em

sounds like yours was an isolated incident, probably caused(or influenced) by other pieces of software and/or firmware, perhaps you have installed many 3rd party things that interfered with system stuff....I dunno, either way, 10.3.2 is working totally fine for me.

doesn't apple have discussion forums for this sort of stuff? maybe others have the same bad luck?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Installed and runs fine on the 3 machines I've put it on today (Quicksilver DP800, Ti 550, and Sawtooth 450).
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Runs fine an my B&W with a G4 Powerlogix 450 upgrade, my DP Quicksilver and my Ti 500
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mines perfect (and i jsut installed panther two days ago )
  • Reply 8 of 40
    bigsbigs Posts: 12member
    Installed it here too, on two 12" Powerbooks.. no problems at all. Don't blame Apple if you can't even perform a simple update :P
  • Reply 9 of 40
    iBook500 happily running 10.3.2

Seems from the first few posts like a better than 95% success rate on all kinds of machines...

have you eliminated user error as a possible cause of your (seemingly unique) problem?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I upgraded 2 machines and it's been problem free.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    no problems here on ibook 700!
  • Reply 12 of 40
    No problems on a 667 MHz TiBook (Giga Ethernet).

This is why its good to have a good disk utility (ala DiskWarrior) on hand.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    no complaints here either, working just perfectly on a 17" alubook ...
  • Reply 14 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Don't wanna be a "me too" dickhead, but what the hell: no problems here either, on a 15" SuperDrive PowerBook.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    nada problemas aqui. powerbook 12" DVI I think it actually improved my connections with the windows computers
  • Reply 16 of 40
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    maybe the mods should retitle this thread perhaps? \
  • Reply 17 of 40
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Powermac G4 doing fine too.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Instead I'll just offer a tip: Always, always always Repair Permissions before updating and after updating. Doing this can prevent a certain amount of random BS until Apple figures out how to keep various installers (or at least their own!) from constantly mucking up permissions.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    (edit: this is a 3-day-old iBook G4, it's gone nuts twice now, first time I reformatted and set it up from scratch cuz I kinda wanted to anyway..)

10.3.2 totaled my finder. Now my menu bar flashes on and off slowly, I can never click on it and all my desktop icons are corrupted and I can't click on them either. luckily I had the foresight to create a second admin account, which I am posting on now, and it works fine. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? If it can't be fixed, does anyone know how I can move my pictures, documents, music, etc. folders from one account to another? I can't move them out of the locked folders in my old account because I can't do anything with the finder.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

(edit: this is a 3-day-old iBook G4, it's gone nuts twice now, first time I reformatted and set it up from scratch cuz I kinda wanted to anyway..)

10.3.2 totaled my finder. Now my menu bar flashes on and off slowly, I can never click on it and all my desktop icons are corrupted and I can't click on them either. luckily I had the foresight to create a second admin account, which I am posting on now, and it works fine. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? If it can't be fixed, does anyone know how I can move my pictures, documents, music, etc. folders from one account to another? I can't move them out of the locked folders in my old account because I can't do anything with the finder.

Your problems sound self-inflicted.