What I dislike in Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I installed Panther yesterday on my dual 867 MHz, which has Jaguar on another partition. All went fine. After the installation finished, the first thing I've done is to connect to the internet and downloaded the update 10.3 -> 10.3.2, and updated iTunes. Everything went fine there too. After that, I had time to test the machine, play here and there with the goodies, etc. Globally, Panther is good, but, ... I have complains.

All my complains until now are aesthetical, except the last one :

-I HATE the new finder way to grab icons with a square around each icons. Geez I hate this to death. It's so ugly ! Why this "feature" ? It's useless !

-I don't like the way labels are implemented, especially in the list view. I don't like the round edges around names.

-I ABSOLUTELY HATE TO DEATH the new Finder windows with the metal theme. It's too clumsy, too thick . I much prefer the Jaguar look, which is more subtle, more uniformised. Is there a way, some hack, to change the metal look in the Finder to the Aqua look ?

-When I select-click some document name in a window with a background color, there is a white rectangle drawing quickly and disappearing (sorry for the bad English). I hate that because it looks buggy.

-Features wise, the keybord shortcuts in the preference panel do not work properly, especially the "cycling windows" keyboard trick. Those options aren't reliable.

Well, that's all for the moment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    if you hate the brush metal look, hit the little bubble on the top right, it gets rid of it, along with the left column. but if it bugs you so much... Personally, since this is my first mac, I really don't know what was old, so I guess I'm used to it. I like how when you open something it does a little zoom thing for the icon, instead of the old fashion box open thing.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Ya, I dun like e round edges in label too. But overall, Panther is much better than Jaguar. Expose is really a blessing.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Perhaps you would like some cheese?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

-I HATE the new finder way to grab icons with a square around each icons. Geez I hate this to death. It's so ugly ! Why this "feature" ? It's useless !

Yeah, I agree that this is really horribly ugly and un-Mac like. The old way of graying out the icon (which has been with the Mac forever) is so much more appealing.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Panther is perfect, and you know it, so stop whining you damned evil Canadian!!!

• Reply 6 of 27
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Roll with it, guys. It is what it is. Let go of "how it used to be" because, looking back, it really wasn't all that hot.

By that I mean, I've always loved Macs. And up until a few years ago, I simply thought OS 9 (and everything before) was IT.

Now that I've been using X at home, full-time, for just under two years, I have to come to work everyday and use 9. Which feels like crap. Looks like crap. Acts like crap. Crashes like crap. Reboots like crap. Takes you the long way around everything like crap.

I stopped, long ago, comparing X to anything before it. It's silly. You're not supposed to, I don't think. That's how I feel about it anyway. It's better. It's smarter. It's more fun to use. It behaves. And if something doesn't, well your entire damn Mac doesn't go down with it.

Like I deal with here at work. Every. Single. Day.

Going home to my PowerBook and Panther at the end of the day is a total joy, after eight hours of this nonsense...

I welcome all this change, because it's better. It's moving forward. It's an improvement. Maybe I don't have this huge 15+ year history (I've got 11 though) where I have some weird-ass nostalgia about "the good ol' days of System 7..." or whatever. System 7 (and OS 9) can go kiss it, as far as I'm concerned. They were test runs. Merely practice runs until Apple truly figured it out.

• Reply 7 of 27
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    It is not about OS 9. Of course, OS 9 was kicked in the butt. I'm talking about OS X here.

I just find the new Finder behavior on the Desktop ugly, in Panther, compared to Jaguar. I mean, that square box around icons, COME ON APPLE !

And this thick metal look in the Finder, GEEZ APPLE, WHAT THE F...*&?%$# !? (atomic explosion pasted here)

These are the ugliest things I ever say on the Mac under X.

Because of these, I may downgrade to my old Mac IIci with system 7.1

• Reply 8 of 27
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

It is not about OS 9. Of course, OS 9 was kicked in the butt. I'm talking about OS X here.

I just find the new Finder behavior on the Desktop ugly, in Panther, compared to Jaguar. I mean, that square box around icons, COME ON APPLE !

And this thick metal look in the Finder, GEEZ APPLE, WHAT THE F...*&?%$# !? (atomic explosion pasted here)

These are the ugliest things I ever say on the Mac under X.

Because of these, I may downgrade to my old Mac IIci with system 7.1

So you don't like the way it LOOKS?!? And you're bitching about it? If it affected your productivity in some way, I'd have some sympathy, but gimme a break, Kali. You've always been a whiner about OS X anyway. Maybe you SHOULD move to your IIci.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    well I like the brushed metal look, and the way it grabbed icons.... so there!! haha

the only thing I hate is in the save menu box, if you click on another file, it changes the name of the file you're saving to the one you clicked on, so I have to retype what I wanted it to be named. otherwise I think panther is PERFECT in a lot of ways, especially in my workflow.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Kali, it IS about OS 9 in the sense that I hear you and others unhappy with stuff in X, and often that unhappiness is expressed by comparing something to "the way it was in..."

That's all I'm saying. But sure, g back to the old stuff.

• Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

the only thing I hate is in the save menu box, if you click on another file, it changes the name of the file you're saving to the one you clicked on, so I have to retype what I wanted it to be named.

Why else would you be clicking on a file in a save panel? Seriously.

This is a feature I and many other people have been waiting for for ages. A simple way to "save and replace" without having to carefully and meticulously type out the same file name.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    ....I'd like is to be able to create new folders in the save menu.

• Reply 13 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

I actually like this feature. I have folders of JPEG images and after the finder builds previews for the icons, you can't tell which files you selected or not.

My #1 complaint is that comand-n does not make a new folder. This is the biggest problem for me.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

mayeb i'm thinking of somehing different, but i think you can make new folders when saving.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

My #1 complaint is that comand-n does not make a new folder. This is the biggest problem for me.

I am not sure if you noticed it or not but Command-Shift-N will create a new folder.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

You can. On the left of the dialog box, there's a "New Folder" button.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

You can. On the left of the dialog box, there's a "New Folder" button.

Not on every dialog box. With some older apps, or with specially coded apps, it's not there.

But I never noticed that with the name changing in the save dialogue. 10.3 is cool.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I don't the way lables don't have an option to shade the icon color (like in classic).

I don't like the fact that the clock can't be put in the dock anymore.

No other complaints...
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Kali, it IS about OS 9 in the sense that I hear you and others unhappy with stuff in X, and often that unhappiness is expressed by comparing something to "the way it was in..."

That's all I'm saying. But sure, g back to the old stuff.

No, it is NOT about OS 9. I compared Jaguar to Panther, not OS X to Classic.

I prefer the look of Jaguar over the look of Panther. Just the look, not the functionalities. I just said that I dislike the way the Finder (in Panther) is grabbing the icons. I prefer the Jaguar way. And I prefer the Jaguar's windows, in the Finder, over the Panther's window. That's all.

And this thread is about things we dislike in Panther.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Is there a way to remove the metal theme from the Finder ?

There are many hacks out there to do this in Jaguar for other applications and to put the Aqua look. But what about Panther ? Do you have a suggestion ?