Which laptop is better?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 500MHz G4 TiBook with 512Meg of RAM and a 900MHz G3 iBook. My wife wants to get rid of one and the other will go to her. Whch one do I keep? I have a 15inch AlPBook and a G5 so I am good but this is for her.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Well I would hold onto the iBook. It has the same vertical resolution as teh TiBook, 4X the video RAM, a more solid and durable form factor and doesn't chip paint, and overall is probably a bit faster than the TiBook. Keep the iBook, ditch the TiBook. Not to mention the iBook probably has a combo drive vs. a DVD drive in the TiBook no?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    ^ sound advice
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I agree. That's a nice iBook. And probably WAY more durable than your typical TiBook book.

I'd take 900MHz G3 iBook over a 500MHz TiBook any day!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    As always I get sound advice from you guys! So anyone want a TiBook for a good price?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    If I were you, I'd sell them both and buy a G4 iBook or something. If the tiBook is in good shape, it will get $1000+. Don't know about the iBook, but the G4 iBooks are currently about as expensive as what you're going to get for the tiBook.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, now THERE'S an idea, GreggWSmith! Sell 'em both and get a nice 1GHz iBook G4: AirPort Extreme, slot-loading combo drive, same durable bod as the other iBook, etc.

For what it's worth, if I were in your exact position, that's exactly what I'd do: get rid of an old TiBook and a G3-based iBook and get a snazzy, solid new iBook G4.

My best friend has the 1GHz 14" iBook G4 and it's wonderful!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Ditto Splinemodel and pscates' suggestion. And you get a year of AppleCare to boot.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

If I were you, I'd sell them both and buy a G4 iBook or something. If the tiBook is in good shape, it will get $1000+. Don't know about the iBook, but the G4 iBooks are currently about as expensive as what you're going to get for the tiBook.

Good idea, except I doubt a 500 MHz TiBook could get $1000+. It only has 8 MB of VRAM on a non-QE supported graphics chipset. I'm thinking more like $750-$850 (still decent). The iBook should get about the same. That's more than enough for a new G4 iBook, even a 14" one.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    i personally have a TiBook but go with the iBook everyones advie is reasonable.