My new iBook G4 and Tony Hawk

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
First off, I just got my Ghz iBook w/ 640 RAM in, and it's delicious.

Okay, so, I was delighted to discover Tony Hawk 4 in my Applications folder, but there's a problem. In game, none of the keyboard controls seem to respond, save the arrow keys and the keys that adjust the camera angle. For instance, when I walk up to someone in Career mode and try to talk to them by pressing 'G', it won't engage them. Or like when you first start off, and that one guy starts talking to you, and you have to press 'O' (or zero, i tried that too) to continue the dialogue, it won't work. What's up with that? All my keys work fine in other games (WarCraft III hotkeys for instance). Anyone else experience this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Maybe it's just a demo version of the game if you just found it in your applications folder.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

First off, I just got my Ghz iBook w/ 640 RAM in, and it's delicious.

Okay, so, I was delighted to discover Tony Hawk 4 in my Applications folder, but there's a problem. In game, none of the keyboard controls seem to respond, save the arrow keys and the keys that adjust the camera angle. For instance, when I walk up to someone in Career mode and try to talk to them by pressing 'G', it won't engage them. Or like when you first start off, and that one guy starts talking to you, and you have to press 'O' (or zero, i tried that too) to continue the dialogue, it won't work. What's up with that? All my keys work fine in other games (WarCraft III hotkeys for instance). Anyone else experience this problem?

Well, if it's the demo version, it certainly doesn't say it's the demo version, and it has every mode of play available including create-a-skater, freeskate, career mode, etc, and I did look in the folder and it has tons of music files and other stuff associated with it, so I doubt it. I think it's just a controls issue.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It is NOT just a demo version.

The iBook G4 comes pre-loaded with a full verion of the game. If you get info on the folder, you will see that it is in the region of 1.2 gigs, in other words, the full game.

As for why it is not responding, I always used it (when I had the ibook g4 which I hated) with a gamepad and it worked fine for me. I seem to recall reading something though about needing to turn on 'num lock' before launching the game if playing on the keyboard.

Try that, if it fails to help, I am assume that you will get support through whoever publishes the game (I forget).

Hope this helps...

Robin.

• Reply 4 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its not a demo. Its the full game.

The letters shown while you play is NOT the keys on your keyboard. They correspond to other keys that are almost scattered around the keyboard.

Select keyboard in the first little dialog box you see when you start the game. Here you can choose more logic keys (like the letters mentioned during the game, 1234567 or asdfghj)

I started playing the game and is somewhere around just finding a ramp and then hit some random key combos. Will it be worth learning to play this game for real?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Sorry anders, it seems that we posted that at the exact same moment.

• Reply 6 of 9
    My daughter just got a new G4 iBook and it has the same problem -- we couldn't understand why the keys weren't working properly. If anyone reads this and knows if there's a patch around, please post. Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    they don't mean press the G key... they mean press whatever key you have assigned as GRIND.... its not designed well, and difficult to understand... but thats what it means
  • Reply 8 of 9
    As one poster suggested, I engaged Num Lock before booting it up, and got some stuff to work.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    We made sure num lock was on from the start but I'd have never figured out the " press G" meant a key assigned for "Grind"!! I'll be sure to tell her, so she can try and see if that takes care of that problem. Thanks!