Christmas Brought To Iraq By Force

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Christmas Brought To Iraq By Force

"We must be patient with the Iraqis," said Bush, seated before a Christmas tree dotted with Scottish terrier ornaments. "The holidays can be a very stressful time, especially for people not yet used to the customs. I'm sure Iraq will enjoy the happiest of holiday seasons if we show resolve and commit to making sure that they do."

God DAMN if The Onion isn't the funniest site on the net sometimes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Yes, hysterical. Especially when you consider that some of the oldest churches in Christendom are in modern day Iraq.

Real funny.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    (Oh, that Christmas...)

disregard me.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

...some of the oldest churches in Christendom are in modern day Iraq.

[...]

And with Western know-how and our can-do attitude, those rickety old churches can now be redeveloped and replaced by bigger brand-spanking new ones!

And who says we are not doing the Iraqis a favour?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

And with Western know-how and our can-do attitude, those rickety old churches can now be redeveloped and replaced by bigger and better brand-spanking new ones!

And who says we are not doing the Iraqis a favour?

• Reply 5 of 9
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

oblique non-sequiter meant in jest in response to Fangorn's silly non-sequiter - not made in jest in Fangorn's case (and failing to recognize that the Iraqis are, in any case, overwhelmingly Muslim) - in response to the original joke poking fun at the introduction of Western values to Iraq
  • Reply 6 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I saw that Onion piece. LOL
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

oblique non-sequiter meant in jest in response to Fangorn's silly non-sequiter - not made in jest in Fangorn's case (and failing to recognize that the Iraqis are, in any case, overwhelmingly Muslim) - in response to the original joke poking fun at the introduction of Western values to Iraq

Non sequiter perhaps, but the irony was quite striking. Modern day Iraq is predominately Muslim, but it also has the largest Christian minority in the Middle East. So to assume that Iraqi = Muslim is erroneous.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

Non sequiter perhaps, but the irony was quite striking. Modern day Iraq is predominately Muslim, but it also has the largest Christian minority in the Middle East. So to assume that Iraqi = Muslim is erroneous.

Do you understand what the Onion is? Stop analyzing it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    REPEAT AFTER ME MAGGOT!

...FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY AND SANTA!