Less sunlight per year?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This article states in the last forty years the intensity of sunlight intensity has decreased by 10% due to pollution in the atmosphere absorbing some of the intensity. Scientific baloney or something new to care about?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/featu...108853,00.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I dunno, but I wager millions of us are losing sunlight exposure not because of smog but because we sit in front of computers all day at work / the office.

• Reply 2 of 13
    Isn't this a good thing? We need something to block the ozone layer we are depleting that is giving us skin cancer.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Isn't this a good thing? We need something to block the ozone layer we are depleting that is giving us skin cancer.

Whatever. Skin cancer? The ozone is doing fine blocking UV wrays. The government is just trying to scare us into buying more sun block. They are just trying to scare us, "the man" is always trying to scare us!

Seriously though, I really do think the threat of skin cancer from over exposure to the sun is totally overblown. With all the sun I've gotten in my life I should be dead 12 times over from skin cancer. It all has to do with skin type. People who are born in areas without much sun aren't born with the proper protection "built in". If you are in an area with a lot of sun your body will adapt to it.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

*boggle*

Can I submit this for "Most muddled post of the year"?

Did you by any chance *MEAN* to say:

"We need something to help block cancer-causing UV, since we are depleting the ozone layer that normally does the job."

?

The 10% drop is in visible light and IR. Not UV.

Quote:

The missing radiation is in the region of visible light and infrared - radiation like the ultraviolet light increasingly penetrating the leaky ozone layer is not affected.

• Reply 5 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Whatever. Skin cancer? The ozone is doing fine blocking UV wrays. The government is just trying to scare us into buying more sun block. They are just trying to scare us, "the man" is always trying to scare us!

Seriously though, I really do think the threat of skin cancer from over exposure to the sun is totally overblown. With all the sun I've gotten in my life I should be dead 12 times over from skin cancer. It all has to do with skin type. People who are born in areas without much sun aren't born with the proper protection "built in". If you are in an area with a lot of sun your body will adapt to it.

I did not count the number of skin cancer i removed each year, but this week i removed 7 of them. I think i removed 300-400 skin cancer by year.

Some of them melanoma, and melanoma are one of the worst. Even black people can have ones. I do not count the number of people who died from melanoma ...

This is a really bad advice that you give there. All statistical studies show that the number of skin cancer increase.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Whatever. Skin cancer?

I am sorry, but not only are your views on this subject idiotic, you reason like an idiot as well.

Let's see. I have driven drunk enough times to have killed hundreds of school children. But have I? No. This whole drunk drivers are dangerous thing is SO overblown. If you are born with a beer bottle in your mouth, you just are 'born' with the ability to drive while drunk. Otherwise, your body has to get used to the alcohol. It's just the man trying to keep me from my sweet sweet booze.

Idiot.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Dude, you're fucking 18 years old. You haven't given yourself a chance to develop skin cancer.

Oh well, enjoy the tan, and enjoy the cancer when it gets ya!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    All good things in moderation. No sunlight is just as bad for your health as too much. My larger point though is that there are way to many who spend way too little time outdoors doing something (anything) active.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    O-Zone does not block UV-rays! The hole in the O-Zone is perfectly normal!

O-Zone is the result of UV rays being absorbed into the atmosphere. O-Zone (O3) is created by UV rays and other radiation, but UV happens to be the optimal wavelength, interacting with a oxygen (O2) molecule, oxygen is an unstable element and so bonds with other oxygen atoms to form a stable O2 molecule. When the UV radiation interacts with the O2 molecules in the atmosphere the infusion of energy causes the O2 molecule to become unstable and they split apart, and we are left with unstable single oxygen molecules, that have extra energy from the UV radiation, they end up bonding with other O2 molecules to form O3, O-Zone.

Has any one every worked with UV light, there is a burnt smell to it, that is O-Zone, O-Zone is toxic to humans and many other forms of life.

The hole in the ?O-Zone layer? is over Antarctica, Antarctica gets the least amount of sunlight of any location on earth. Now given how O-Zone is created, and that the magnetic field of the earth directs the UV rays northward, doesn?t it make sense that the place that gets the least light on the earth has a big hole in the layer of O-Zone?

--

Global warming is more directly tied to fluctation in the output of our sun than anything that man has ever done.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    biaach said it all. perfectly stated.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by biaachmonkie

O-Zone does not block UV-rays! The hole in the O-Zone is perfectly normal...snip

whew, what a releif that was, and here, all this time, i thought that we were taking the eart over the bed and fvcking it in the ass for the past 100 years.

is great to know that well be perfectly fine and that ozone aint goin nowhere and greenhouse gases are OK
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I thought I heard a fact like 3/4 kids in Australia will get skin cancer \

Perhaps it meant kids now will get cancer when they get older.

White and proud of it The sun is over rated, you get most of your vitamin D from milk anyways. Got milk?

PS - Sitting in side sucks go out and enjoy the nice sun in winter
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I thought I heard a fact like 3/4 kids in Australia will get skin cancer

Perhaps it meant kids now will get cancer when they get older.

White and proud of it The sun is over rated, you get most of your vitamin D from milk anyways. Got milk?

PS - Sitting in side sucks go out and enjoy the nice sun in winter

It isn't a fact until after the fact, as you figured out. And I doubt very much that 75% of today's Australian youth will develop skin cancers when they get older, unless it's a very wide definition that includes moles of questionable malignancy and the like. Sounds like an advertising hook from Tropicana to me.