How to toggle between mail accounts

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there an easy way to toggle between Mail accounts without using the Mailbox drawer? Is there a hot-key or something? I'm trying to make this simple for my wife, without having that space-hogging Mailbox drawer open all the time.

And, if I could just figure out how to forward her Hotmail account to her .Mac account, I would be all set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Mail's "Mailbox" menu will allow you to take accounts on/offline and check mail per account

No shortcut keys are specified, and I don't spot any default Applescripts,

but it's entirely possible that others may have written scripts to suit your specs
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Just create a new user, and switch between them. That way, you can have your own desktop pattern, settings, icons, preferences, etc.

In OS 9, it was always a battle, for my father had a PowerBook, and every time I would visit him in Florida, I'd have to manually change the Eudora settings every time I wanted to check my mail. But in the meantime, I would open some applications, close others, and annoy my father, who would hit "check mail" and get my mail by accident, not to mention being unable to find the applications he had been running.

In OSX, it has been wonderful. There are two users. He has a blue desktop pattern, and I have the Cheetah spots one. Even before he sits down, he knows which user is activated, and never checks the wrong account. Plus, his e-mail account contains his mail, and no one else's.

(Plus, it's so way cool to watch that rotating cube when the users change).

Even better, unless she has your password, she will never be able to read your mail.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

Just create a new user, and switch between them. That way, you can have your own desktop pattern, settings, icons, preferences, etc.

I think you misread the original post. His wife has different email accounts. It's not that there are 2 different users trying to use mail. I've got 3 email accounts set up in mail and the only way I know to 'toggle' between them is to use the mailbox drawer. There SHOULD be another way and probably is, but I haven't found it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

Is there an easy way to toggle between Mail accounts without using the Mailbox drawer? Is there a hot-key or something? I'm trying to make this simple for my wife, without having that space-hogging Mailbox drawer open all the time.

And, if I could just figure out how to forward her Hotmail account to her .Mac account, I would be all set.

I'm continuing to look, but I think the only way to go between mailbox accounts is the drawer. But you know there's a plugin for mail.app that allows you to check hotmail using mail.app. It's called httpmail. HTH
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hmmmm... all of my accounts go to the "inbox"

all I have to do is hit cmd-1 and all of my mail is in one window, regardless of the account...

you can also sort by mailbox by adding that column from the view menu...

or do I have my accounts set up differently then you?

(running 10.2.8, but looks the same in Panther AFAIK)

don't mind the mess...

hitting cmd-1 highlights what is currently highlighted... letting me see all my mail (a lot) in one window...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Torifile, you're right, one user multiple accounts. And thanks for the Hotmail tip. Sorry for the slow reponse, but being on the other side of the planet means I'm sleeping when most of you are having your mid-morning snack. Cheers!