PB G4 1.25 won't recognize base station

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hardware: 15" 1.25GHZ PB G4. I have a snow airport at home that works fine. But the one at school, suppsoedly with the updated firmware and such, is not recongnized by my 'book. There is an iMac in my room that DOES see the station and works fune with it. WTF? I seem to remember this problem before, but I forget the solution. I have tried scanning for the station and even manually entering the IP...nothing.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Any help?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    This probably won't do it, and you've probably already tried this, but what the hell - no one else is responding.

My 12" PowerBook would not always "see" the wireless router at work. Nothing I could do would work. I'd turn off Airport, reboot, turn Airport back on, and 8 times out of 10 it would see it right away. Sometimes I'd have to do it again.

It didn't happen often enough for me to really investigate it, but that little routine worked for me, anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Another thing,

If you know Wireless Network name, you can always go by that, in that.

Sometimes Admins configure access points to not broadcast network names.

Regardles, try pinging that BS (you have to be connected using your built-in network adapter. If you can't ping it, then there's something wrong with BS.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Tried restarting...nothing. Any more thoughts?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you say it works fine on the iMac...

when you click on the airport menu item on the iMac what does it say is the name of the network?

then on your powerbook go to the "other" item in the same menu... type in the name of the network that you got from the iMac...

that should do it...

if that doesn't work then there may be a password on the BS...

if THAT doesn't work... and the iMac works over airport... Maybe you are out of range??
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you say it works fine on the iMac...

when you click on the airport menu item on the iMac what does it say is the name of the network?

then on your powerbook go to the "other" item in the same menu... type in the name of the network that you got from the iMac...

that should do it...

if that doesn't work then there may be a password on the BS...

if THAT doesn't work... and the iMac works over airport... Maybe you are out of range??

OK good thoughts. There is a password which I do not have access to...but my tech person will type it in when my book sees the base station. It's just a security measure that never affected my Pismo. Once the station ebcame visible on the Pismo, she typed in the paassword which is of course obscured from view. Anywho, it's not a range issue...the station is literally on my desk. So, I don't HAVE to use it but it would be nice not to ahve tto be tethered to the wall. I will try typing the name, which is "WLan" and see wha happens. I don't have high hopes because the book jsut doesn't see the station at all. We'll see..
  • Reply 7 of 16
    why dont you have access to the password??

I mean the access point IS right on your desk...

have you tried to get a signal when the iMac is off? how many other computers are using the connection? The base station could be maxed out... It is a snow BS? i think the limit with those was 10 simultaneous users... but I'm not sure... and if it used to work with your pismo it shouldn't be a problem...

ot-what are you retiring your pismo to?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

why dont you have access to the password??

I mean the access point IS right on your desk...

have you tried to get a signal when the iMac is off? how many other computers are using the connection? The base station could be maxed out... It is a snow BS? i think the limit with those was 10 simultaneous users... but I'm not sure... and if it used to work with your pismo it shouldn't be a problem...

ot-what are you retiring your pismo to?

Well the Pismo is going back to Apple for repair to the A/C port. Then it is getting sold. I'll probably post it here first before ebay. Anyway, I don't have the password because my IT folks have their heads up their asses. I went ballistic when they wouldn;t give it to me without typing it in to my machine first hand. Asses. As far as the station, it is a snow station, with only one machine using it. I don;t think it matters if the iMac is on or off. I'll try typing the name of the network. The IT idiots probably have the wrong goddamn firmware and such on the station...knowing their incompetence.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    you also might want to take a look at this
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Still doesn't work. Tried typing the name of the network, restarting the station.....

wierd.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    try connecting with an ethernet cable to the Base station...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Works fine. OK then. No reception at all though.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    hmmmm.... call applecare?

or your inept it department?

or you could just configure the base yourself...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

hmmmm.... call applecare?

or your inept it department?

or you could just configure the base yourself...

How do I do that without the book being able to see it? Maybe I'll just do a hard reset on the password and say "eff it"
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Another thing you may want to check, is to make sure BS is not configured to allow only certain MAC addresses, and yours is not on the list
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

How do I do that without the book being able to see it? Maybe I'll just do a hard reset on the password and say "eff it"

the ethernet cable to the base station... try and take a look from the airport admin utility...

you really should ask the IT department tho... they might have limited MAC addresses...