When is Mac considering to put out G5 notebooks, G5 iMac and G5 eMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When is Mac considering to put out G5 notebooks, G5 iMac and G5 eMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    First: Mac is the product name, Apple is the company. Got it? Good.

Second, if we knew definite information about all of what you asked, AppleInsider would have no reason to exist! The closest we've seen is a quote from Steve Jobs saying that Apple would "like to have" G5 PowerBooks by the end of 2004. Everything else is complete speculation at this point.

One thing I think we can be relatively certain of: a G5 eMac is a long ways off.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    PowerBook G5 - late 2004 to early 2005

iMac G5 - sometime in 2004, probably second half of the year.

eMac G5 - i really don't care 'bout this one, but probably not before 2005.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

PowerBook G5 - late 2004 to early 2005

iMac G5 - sometime in 2004, probably second half of the year.

eMac G5 - i really don't care 'bout this one, but probably not before 2005.

just guesses from me...but i agree with netro except for the iMac...i think we will see a G5 iMac in the first half of 2004...it might even be announced in January...if the PM goes to 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 then apple will have all those 1.6 and 1.8 G5 chips to use...the iMac screams for those chips....

the PB will likely go to the new IBM altivec chip (G4+) when it comes available (summer 2004?) and stay there till the G5 goes to 65 size (2005?) as the power and heat is probably still too high at the 90 process size...

as for the eMac??? i don't know....if the G5 chip is cheaper than the G4 moto chip, apple could change it to a G5 at any time...they may go with the G4+ chip instead if that is even cheaper than the G5...but i think that apple will go with the cheapest then fastest chip for the eMac...i don't think that apple has to cripple any systems anymore like in the old days...apple will let the PMs be dual, the iMacs be single (but style and prosumerish--better graphics and display) and the eMac be cheap...all can be G5 or G4+....

as for the portable systems....heat and battery life are key here...along with size and weight...so apple will likely hold off on making a G5 laptop till the next process shrink....unless they make a huge PC-like laptop of 2 inches thick and 10 pounds...but i don't see that...

g

ok, so maybe netro and i aren't so close in our guesses...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    G5 iMac first, then PB G5 follow shortly if not at the same time.

eMac. I guess the next step would be 1.25GHz G4

I do hope to see a cube like (function wise) desktop with G5 selling at the 1100-1400 US price range. I know a lot of people want to try Mac and they already have some very nice 17" and 19" LCD monitors.........PowerMac is absolutely overkill for them.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hey when the first imac came out and it had g3's what did the powermacs have at the time? just wondering for timetables sake.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Thinking about it, the iMac is really a premium product and as such it really deserves the G5, and it will probably get it as soon as possible. There most certainly be issues with cooling in the current chassi and I guess that Apple will want to keep a G5 iMac as quiet as the current models.

With the current iMac-line showing lacklustre sales, Apple is most certainly aware of the main problem with the current iMac-line. It's a great design, probably the best "personal computer" out there for people not in the need for internal expansion or don't care about upgradeability. The reason I would not buy one at this time is the G4. It's too slow to defend it's premium price-tag. With a 1,6 G5 in the base models and 1,8 and/or 2,0 ghz single in the top models they would be a much more attractive proposition to consumers.

While I hope that Apple has some sort of G5 consumer mac ready for MWSF, I think it's too early, and we propably have to wait until summer for G5 iMacs to surface.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    G5 iMac--probably at MWSF

if not, no later than march

g

i am workerbee

not
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

hey when the first imac came out and it had g3's what did the powermacs have at the time? just wondering for timetables sake.

That's an interesting story actually. iMacs came with 233 MHz G3s, and PowerMac G3s had G3 chips ranging from 233 MHz to 333 MHz. Back then, 15" CRTs actually cost something (maybe $150 or thereabouts) so the new styling, built in monitor, and nearly pro-level processor of the iMac all helped boost iMac sales while stealing PowerMac G3 sales.

The G3 was originally planned to be a consumer chip, with the 604e as the pro chip. G3s came out at lower clock speeds than 604es, just 233 and 266 MHz vs. up to 350 MHz on the 604e. However, the G3 ended up being cooler, consuming less power, and being faster clock-for-clock than the 604e, so the G3 machines got really popular and Apple discontinued the 604e machines shortly afterwards. The 604e couldn't be used in a laptop because of the heat. It's interesting that the pro-level Apple CPU for the next two years was chosen almost by accident.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    How could cosumer line begin going G5 before Pro? If it does happen you can expect the G5 to be underpowered. IMO.

Sh0e
  • Reply 10 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    It's fairly obvious that Apple needs to bring the G5 to the iMac lineup.

The iMac right now is snazzy but doesn't have enough umph under the hood.

Put a Single G5 in it up to 1.8Ghz for the 20" model.

Put a Single G5 1.5Ghz in the 17" model

The eMac can get a 1.25Ghz G4 with a faster motherboard if necessary.

Now that the G5 is here we need a balanced lineup. DVD Burners will be in everything but the lowest end of Desktops. Speed is going to be necessary for Apple to remain viable at this level.

I'm looking to buy a new Mac next summer so I'm hoping for plenty of options.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

-- snip --

i am workerbee

not

Dude, that's not even funny...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Good, let's have a massive pointless thread on three future G5 products...

• Reply 13 of 14
    the bigger the better ensign...

thanks for the facts Lucy, I was just wondering about the facts between the old imac to the old powermacs, to do a cross comparison to the situation that we are in now. If your info is correct then we will have G5 imacs soon... I hope. I can't fend off my dad any longer he wants to switch but I keep insisting he wait till the middle of january. Am I doing the wrong thing... please share with me with your opinion, and wisdom.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    At the very least a G5 iMac is coming sooner than most people think. Its going to be a very G5 new year. The 970FXs are flying off the line in FishKill. The large wafers, process shrink, and IBMs traditional good yields means these suckers are hitting with large quantity right away. With the price, in dollars, heat, and power, considerably lower than the regular 970 it would be stupid not to move most most everything to it quickly. The performance will be far above their current hardware, with cheaper cogs, why would they not do it?