Processor Upgrade for Ti Powerbook 550?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone know if there is, or rumors of, any third party upgrades for processors in the older Ti Powerbook G4's? It's pretty tight in there and I am not sure if it was ever designed for that but just wondering if anyone else has knowledge that would give me hope or remove hope. Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I've never heard of a processor upgrade for a portable. I know there are a few out there for the G4 tower line (sawtooth, qucksilver and, MDD) but non that I know of for the Ti/AlBooks.

Edit: I just remembered that the G4 upgrades can be used in pretty much any computer (once again, I don't know about the PBs though). You might want to check out the upgrades that are available for the Cubes, it's pretty tight inside a Cube, so one of those might fit in a PB.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I've never heard of a processor upgrade for a portable. I know there are a few out there for the G4 tower line (sawtooth, qucksilver and, MDD) but non that I know of for the Ti/AlBooks.

Edit: I just remembered that the G4 upgrades can be used in pretty much any computer (once again, I don't know about the PBs though). You might want to check out the upgrades that are available for the Cubes, it's pretty tight inside a Cube, so one of those might fit in a PB.

There is a 900 mzh G3 upgrade for some Powerbook G3 models and a G4 processor upgrade.

The PBG4 550 already runs to hot. There is no way you could get a faster processor in there. Plus there is no room.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the processor in G4 powerbooks is soldered/integrated into the motherboard and non upgradable
  • Reply 4 of 8
    You can make Lombards, Wallstreets, and Pismos into G4@500s.

There are no aftermarket CPU upgrade options for TiBooks.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Almost all PowerMac G4s have CPU upgrades available. That includes the Cube.

The PowerBook 500-series, 1400, and the Wallstreet, Lombard and Pismo G3s have processor daughtercards for CPU upgrades. So do tray-loading iMacs, all PowerMac G3s, and most earlier PowerMacs.

PowerBook G4s have their CPUs soldered in place. Just because a Cube is smaller doesn't mean that a processor upgrade made for a Cube will "fit" in a PowerBook. In fact, Cubes use almost the same type of processor as full-sized PowerMac G4s.

No. Processor. Upgrades. For. PowerBook. G4s.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Almost all PowerMac G4s have CPU upgrades available. That includes the Cube.

The PowerBook 500-series, 1400, and the Wallstreet, Lombard and Pismo G3s have processor daughtercards for CPU upgrades. So do tray-loading iMacs, all PowerMac G3s, and most earlier PowerMacs.

PowerBook G4s have their CPUs soldered in place. Just because a Cube is smaller doesn't mean that a processor upgrade made for a Cube will "fit" in a PowerBook. In fact, Cubes use almost the same type of processor as full-sized PowerMac G4s.

No. Processor. Upgrades. For. PowerBook. G4s.

Positive???
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Not quite, let me double check.

Don't test me, you won't live to regret it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Wow... you really know jack about processer upgrades... I allways thought you knew your shit, but this post speakes for itself.