Here's why conservatives consider Bush a free spending moderate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Shrill attacks for excessive spending?

Many on here complain about how evil and especiall conservative Bush is regarding numerous issues. However when looking at the actual application of many of the policies. It is easy to see Bush has the broad middle ground and, for better or for worse, the sort of borrow and spend mentality that many an American lives under.

My questions are as follows. Given the intensity of attack about the heartlessness and lack of compassion regarding Bush, how could anyone else actually find it politically tolerable to attempt to spend significantly less than Bush who has lead a massive increase in spending? A prime example is No Child Left Behind which was actually a very large increase in educational spending.

Question two, the Medicare prescription benefit was heralded as pretty much pure evil by Democrats who even tossed aside and chastized the AARP for a, at conservative estimate, $400 billion dollar program. It is likely the real cost will be over a trillion dollars.

The point is that for all the claims and criticism, I don't see any fewer children on free lunch programs, any fewer not receiving unemployment, or well pretty much any spending cuts because this guy spends like mad.

So if Bush, who spends like mad, is a heartless, cruel and uncompassionate, what does it take to be the opposite of that?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    whatever... I think we should pay our bills the best that we can as we spend, not borrow on my childrens, and what will ultimately be my grandchildrens future earnings. Hey, with 4 more years of this guy it may well be my great-grandchildren paying for his "borrow and spend" policies.

It seems to me that the Democrat and Republican parties fiscal policies have more or less "switched". Apple could only hope for such a change in peoples computer preferences.

whatever........ Randy
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

It is easy to see Bush has the broad middle ground and, for better or for worse, the sort of borrow and spend mentality that many an American lives under.

Last I saw for his 'tax breaks' alone, Bush has borrowed an average of $52,000 from every tax payer in the country. That's what he's borrowed so he can send you $300 (or whatever.) That doesn't include his spending policies or the war.

$52,000. Enjoy.

What does it take? If he's going to give tax breaks, give them to people who need them not to people who can afford to live without them. But unfortunately Bush isn't interested in helping people who need the most help. If he were interested then I don't think you would have to ask what it takes because we would all know by his actions.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    My favorite on that article:

Quote:

President Bush imposed steel tariffs, costing Americans higher prices for goods such as washing machines, cars, refrigerators and other items using steel. He also imposed tariffs on lumber, adding over a thousand dollars to the price for the purchaser of a new home.

Wow, over 1000 $ more money for a purchaser of a new home? Does the writer of that article have any idea how much a home in general costs, and how much can e.g. the property tax be?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Last I saw for his 'tax breaks' alone, Bush has borrowed an average of $52,000 from every tax payer in the country. That's what he's borrowed so he can send you $300 (or whatever.) That doesn't include his spending policies or the war.

$52,000. Enjoy.

What does it take? If he's going to give tax breaks, give them to people who need them not to people who can afford to live without them. But unfortunately Bush isn't interested in helping people who need the most help. If he were interested then I don't think you would have to ask what it takes because we would all know by his actions.

Could you list a source for that bunge. Last I read the government spends approximately $20,000 for every man woman and child in the United States. Your claim would seem to be that Bushes tax cut is equal to two and a half times the entire federal budget.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

$52,000. Enjoy.

Could you tell me how you come to this?

Borrowed an average of $52,000 from every tax payer in the country?

Please do tell.

Fellowship
  • Reply 6 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That $52,000 is a line that Dean has been using. The best I can figure is that:

1. It's per family, not per person (Dean says per family), so that's $13,000 per person if you're talking about a 4-person family.

2. $13,000 per person equal about $3.5 trillion.

3. The deficits are projected to total about 5 trillion over the next 10 years.

So it does make some sense, if we assume that a) the $52,000 per family is over many years, not just one year, and b) the tax cuts have contributed to the majority of the increase in the debt.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

That $52,000 is a line that Dean has been using. The best I can figure is that:

1. It's per family, not per person (Dean says per family), so that's $13,000 per person if you're talking about a 4-person family.

2. $13,000 per person equal about $3.5 trillion.

3. The deficits are projected to total about 5 trillion over the next 10 years.

So it does make some sense, if we assume that a) the $52,000 per family is over many years, not just one year, and b) the tax cuts have contributed to the majority of the increase in the debt.

Thanks BRussel, you're correct. I didn't mean to exaggerate the claim.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Republican Centrism is a myth created and propagated by the GOP spin machine in the 1980's, similar to the notion that there is a so-called liberal media. The myth was created to force left-leaning liberals to the center so that centrism itself is now considered "left" of the conservative "right".
  • Reply 9 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    From the article:

Quote:

Former President Clinton enacted the AmeriCorps program, paying volunteers to volunteer. Bush not only retained the program, he expanded it.

Now someone out there may know more about this, but my understanding from former students trying to join americorps this past year has been that they are unable to do so because of massive cuts.

Is there something about this I'm unaware of?