Anyone want to trade?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a Bluetooth Adapter D-Link DBT-120 and I'd like a Keyspan USB Serial Adapter.

Anyone want to trade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hmmmmm maybe... i think I may have one of those at my house... problem is that I am at college right now... I won't be able to check until saturday sometime...

i'll try to get back to you by then...

if I haven't posted here be sure to bump the thread and or IM me...

-Paul
  • Reply 2 of 26
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I have a Bluetooth Adapter D-Link DBT-120 and I'd like a Keyspan USB Serial Adapter.

Anyone want to trade?

Yup. I've got one sitting in my closet. PM me if you don't want to wait for Paul. He was first.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I don't mind waiting since Paul was first, but if he doesn't have it or backs out I'll repost here or just PM you.

Thanks you two.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    sorry bunge, I have a USB-SCSI adapter not a serial one... T the ball is in your court.

I also have one of those entrega hubs tho if you are interested... 2 usb ports a serial port and a scsi port...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Shit, bunge. I'm sorry too. I just remembered that I gave my adapter to defiant last year when I sold him my newton.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Yeah, and I won't give it back. I paid for it, and the Newton still works very nice with it. Old technology? Ha! Dream on!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    for some cash too... yah
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Holy crap! I left the thread for a few days and look at what I come back to! Damn you Defiant! I'm trying to get my Newton up and running on my G5.

Well, if no one else has a USB-Serial adapter then I guess I'll track it down elsewhere. But in the meantime Defiant, do you think I could get some advice from you about how to connect with a Newton and what it can do? I'm just starting down this path and would appreciate some advice.

Anyone else want to trade?

EDIT: Just want to make this clear; you bastards!
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bunge... I have a USB--> serial adaptor... but it is not the keyspan model you are asking for...

it also has 2 USB ports and an SCSI port...

I'm not 100% sure of its OSX compatibility... but I could test it out if you are interested...

it also requires an AC adapter so you wont be able to use it on the go... :/
  • Reply 10 of 26
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Bunge,

If you mean a 9-pin (not ADC) serial to USB, I have one that I'm not using. In fact, it's barely been used at all. It's part number is USA-19Qi.

Let me know if that's what you're looking for.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

Bunge,

If you mean a 9-pin (not ADC) serial to USB, I have one that I'm not using. In fact, it's barely been used at all. It's part number is USA-19Qi.

Let me know if that's what you're looking for.

I need to connect to a Newton. If I can figure out if this one will work then I guess I can do it. For some reason I don't think this is the right one though. Defiant or torifile, any suggestions?

Paul, thanks but I think I'd like the little one without the need for an AC adapter. Thanks though.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I need to connect to a Newton. If I can figure out if this one will work then I guess I can do it. For some reason I don't think this is the right one though. Defiant or torifile, any suggestions?

Paul, thanks but I think I'd like the little one without the need for an AC adapter. Thanks though.

It depends which cable you've got. The Newton I sold to defiant had both the PC serial (15 pin, I believe) and the Apple Serial cables. The USB adapter I had was the PC serial to USB one. If you've got the PC serial cable, I *believe* that USA-19Qi will work.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Alright, time for me to pop in.

I quote from the installer for the Keyspan Serial Adapter:
    Quote:

This is the installer for the Mac OS X Keyspan USB Serial Adapter driver. It supports the following Keyspan Products:

One Port DB9tUSA-19, USA-19Qi,

\t\tUSA-19W, USA-19QW, USA-19HS

Two Port Din: \tUSA-28X, USA-28

Four PorttUSA-49W, USA-49WLC, USA-4E230

OthertUSA-18X, UPSH-112

As you can see, the adapter I have, the USA-19, and the USA-19Qi from ryukyu, are both equipped with one DB9. That means the USA-19Qi should work fine. Just in case, I made a pic to show how I connect to my Newton.

Click here for picture

The cable is a 9-Pin one, as you can see. I'm not sure, but I believe this cable is from Apple too. I always connected like this, and it always worked fine. If you have more questions, just ask.

And you also asked for some software:

Tool to connect to the Newton.

Tool to sync lots of stuff with your Newton.

[EDIT: Changed the picture to a link, damn Spymac]
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I really hate to be a pest because you all have been helpful. But...I think the PC Serial Cable is a 9-pin cable, but I don't know what the Apple Serial would be. I'm willing to use either as long as it works with the USB adapter and my Newton and my Mac. I don't really care because I still have to buy the serial cable and I'll buy whichever works with my USB adapter.

I'm just worried that I need a very specific combination. Like if the OS X software is specifically aware of the Apple Serial Pin count then I don't want to invest in the wrong path.

I'm really sorry folks. I thought this would be quick and painless for everyone.

Defiant, do you know which cable you have?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Will check when I'm at home.

What kind of Newton do you have, btw?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Will check when I'm at home.

What kind of Newton do you have, btw?

I have a true 2100, not an upgraded 2000. I'm finally starting to get excited about using it....

EDIT: Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I know this is very noob-ish of me, but what can a newton do, it's basically a PDA isn't it?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    It's the PDA. Far better than anything in it's time, still better now, even though the advance gets smaller. Ask Fran, he's the most knowledgeable about the Newton, and also the most fightin' one. (Right?)

Bunge: I have the same model. But I have no idea if I have the PC cable. Because it connects to a DP-9 I'd think it's a PC one. If you have access to one, I'd suggest you go that route, because this is the way I've been syncing my Newton. Also take a close look at the picture above, because this is my cable you see there.

Don't worry, you're not a pest, we're in GD right now. At least you have a Newton.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    apple serial ports are round... they look like ADB ports or PS/2 ports...

bunge not that I know anything about this, but from reading the stuff from this thread you should be looking for a NON apple serial port/cable... the adapter I happen to have is for the apple serial connector so will probably not be ideal for you...

defiant's cable is a NON apple DB-9 Serial cable/adapter...
  • Reply 20 of 26
    I think you're correct Paul, that Defiant is using a PC serial cable. That's fine if it works. I can buy either one and I will, it's not a big deal as long as it works.

I'll be purchasing a cable soon and I'll check back when I have it. ryukyu, if you're interested, we can work out a deal. To Defiant, keep in touch with Newtinfo. To everyone else, thanks.

And Defiant, thank Steve we're not in AO.