Forum Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hey everyone. Right now I am in the middle of setting up a forum for the upcoming Apple-Is site.

I wanna have some input from others that have setup forums and see what you guys like and don't like.

Right now I am debating between VB and phpBB.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    vB because it has better administrative tools.

phpBB because it's free.

There's probably a lot more to it than that, but those are two of the biggest ones based on my own experience.

To demo the vB software, go to:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo/

It is reset every night since some people go in there and *really* muck things up. It's a great way to learn the software (I used that before we transitioned AI to vB) because the admindemo is a full version of vB with total access to the admin panel and other tools.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I'd definately recommend phpBB. It just something I'm used to (www.homestarrunner.net and www.homestarrules.com/forum both use phpBB [.net's down right now]). To me, phpBB has a cleaner forum look to it, even with the default style
  • Reply 3 of 8
    there is also Invision Power Board which is free http://www.invisionboard.com/
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I am a big fan of PHPBB. Just my 2¢
  • Reply 5 of 8
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i hate phpBB. standard version you can't not choose to see avatars or signatures, and there is no ignore list.

i like invisionboard.

and i use woltlab bb. free, but does fine.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

hey everyone. Right now I am in the middle of setting up a forum for the upcoming Apple-Is site.

What do you guys think?

I couldn't be bothered reading up on the documentation of existing boards so I wrote my own. I had a basic version up after two evenings work - its nice to have total control over how things work.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    InvisionPowerBoard is my software of choice - free if you don't want company support, has many features the competition lacks, is on par with vBulletin in terms of performance, and the code is much cleaner.

If you wanna pay, you could get the paid version of IPB, or get vBulletin.

If you wanna waste money, get UBB and cry the day after when someone shows you the bright side of vBulletin and IPB.

phpBB? Hmm, not bad, but the AdminCP is horrible. The only reason I have one installation of that on one server is that that server doesn't do MySQL, only MSSQL, and phpBB comes with a free plug-in for that.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

i hate phpBB. standard version you can't not choose to see avatars or signatures, and there is no ignore list.

i like invisionboard.

and i use woltlab bb. free, but does fine.

I second that suggestion for the Invision Power Board, it's a great system and it was simple to set up too.