Why Don't Apple Advertise Globally?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
They seem to advertise in the US, but outside of the US...

I thought a company hell bent on trying to increase their market share somewhat, would actually attempt to advertise their brand name, and what they have to offer.

I live in humble Adelaide, and have not seen an Apple ad since the days of the fruity coloured iMacs, and even before then, I never saw any.

Hell, a couple of people I've spoken to have replied:

"Apple? I thought they went extinct years ago!".

So much for Apple trying to shake off their reputation as dead or dying...

So who here agrees that Apple, or namely the worldwide divisions of Apple, should make some kind of effort to advertise? m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    There are lots of Apple ads everywhere... maybe just not in your general area.. or ya... more like iPod ads
  • Reply 2 of 12
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    They dont advertise much besides a few iPod commercials here.

No Power Mac G5 commercials.

No iMac commericials.

No Powerbook/iBook commercials.

No OSX commercials.

When I mean "no" I mean no continual commercials. Apple tends to do a token commercial per product. They did one [BAD] commercial for the iMac G4 and a [BAD] commercial for the G5. Then they did nothing.

Now it's pscates turn
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

There are lots of Apple ads everywhere... maybe just not in your general area

Australia, (that is, the whole country)? m.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

They dont advertise much besides a few iPod commercials here.

No Power Mac G5 commercials.

No iMac commericials.

No Powerbook/iBook commercials.

No OSX commercials.

When I mean "no" I mean no continual commercials. Apple tends to do a token commercial per product. They did one [BAD] commercial for the iMac G4 and a [BAD] commercial for the G5. Then they did nothing.

Now it's pscates turn

Nope. Everyone knows what I believe on this matter. Apple is truly ridiculous in this one area.

Matsu's got his cost gripes. Others have their pet peeves regarding Apple. My only one is this.

We all have our issues.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    You probably don't see too many since you live in humble whatever-your-town-is-called. If you went to Sydney or somewhere, you'd probably see more
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Apple doesn't advertise enough period... and when they do its just selling apple as a brand usually. The switch campaign was nice, but I think they should have had the people's VO over actual footage of them doing whatever they were talking about. Just seeing someone stand there against white looks cool, and it screams listen to my story... but I think it lost the message.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I think I've seen 1 ad for Apple in Manchester, UK, which wasn't somewhere that Apples were sold. And that was in my uni's computer science building, and was A4 sized...

Yes, I know the UK's a little backwater none of you Americans know about, but still...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    More advertising is required - not just brand stuff either... how cool OS X is, a showcase of their hardware design for new products even. Something more compelling than "switch" or silhouettes dancing with white iPods.

[cue nostalgia] Actually, I do remember one "cracker" Apple ad down under from the 80s with these two executives in a lift. The senior exec says to the other: "Missed you at the 'shindig' the other night". Junior exec replies, nonchalantly, "I was busy". Then the boss type guy looks at him and says: "How's that proposal going?" "I've finished," the other exec returns. Upon which he hands him the work. Nice and neat title page, spreadsheets, graphs, piecharts - the works. "Geez, Frank - I didn't know our computers could do all this!" To which junior replies: "They can't - I did this at home." "What were you using?" *Ding* - lift doors open - Frank exits without replying... cue rainbow coloured Apple.

Ahh, those were the days - the advantage of a stylish GUI and the boom in desktop publishing.[/cue nostalgia]
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Edit: screw it...broken record...I've said it all before
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ^ nice vent pscates
  • Reply 11 of 12
    pscates - I liked it ... you should have left it! Besides, there will always be somebody for whom what you wrote will be new!

C'mon - put it back. Surely you've got it saved as a Word file by now, haven't you? [j/k]
  • Reply 12 of 12

Any forum newbies can search the archives for any number of my "Apple's marketing, or lack thereof, makes me sad/mad..." posts/rants.

The regulars already know what I think about it all. Figure I'd give the ol' dead horse a rest. It's Christmas, after all...