The inexorable march of the iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Mac Daily News republishes the fascinating news that the only morning newspaper for Wales (the Western Mail) is reporting that demand for iPods is outstripping supply - particularly 20GB - and that units are now on back-order for delivery after Xmas.

The theme is also picked up by the Daily Telegraph at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...22/ixhome.html.

Will all the armchair CEOs who questioned the validity of the iPod as a product now leave the room.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Is the above a two year old post that escaped a time envelope?

Who have "questioned the validity of the iPod as a product"?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Is the above a two year old post that escaped a time envelope?

Who have "questioned the validity of the iPod as a product"?

There were many at the point of launch whose reaction was "Another MP3 player, SFW".

And the point of the thread is iPod was launched in November 2001 and it's now December 2003 and the product has now matured to the point where a) it is no longer just the preserve of the Apple cognoscenti and b) it has become a mainstream consumer electronics item to major department stores like Selfridges and John Lewis (the former of whom is unlikely to be selling it at any levels of discount) and c) it actually gains Apple column inches in mainstream press.

The other point of the statement is: sometimes it takes longer than a financial quarter to see the benefit of a particular strategy.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Oh. Thanks for the clarification. I just seemed a bit funny you used an example of a temporary supply problem as an argument for the general succes of the iPod.

On a related note: Will all those who believed the Cube would be a smash hit please eat their words right now.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

On a related note: Will all those who believed the Cube would be a smash hit please eat their words right now.

Hey! it was a smash hit!!!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Most of these shortage stories are coming out of the UK. iPod availability is pretty good in the U.S.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Most of these shortage stories are coming out of the UK. iPod availability is pretty good in the U.S.

Well, that's nice to know - except there are stories of localised shortages (call them iPod hotspots) even in the US.

The thing here is that the whole UK seems to have become one large iPod hotspot.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Maybe an emergency airlift can be organized? And we can get Lionel Richie, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis and that disfigured perv to record a follow up to their anti-famine anthem?

"iPods For Our World (There Will Be Joy On Earth If We All Hold Hands and Emote Enough)".

This is a CRISIS!

• Reply 8 of 12
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Not everywhere, though. My brother's been Christmas-shopping for an iPod and found the well completely dry. Every store he went to on Long Island (NY) has them backordered until after Christmas; although to be fair, he only started looking last weekend. Heh, which means I'll get to see what Apple trots out at MWSF before I get mine.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Another report, this time from the BBC:

Music lovers rush to grab iPods

and a link to a good review of the iPod ads:

Apple emerges from the Pod
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Hey! it was a smash hit!!!

Only when the announcement was made the Cube would be discontinued, at which point, seemingly all the remaining Cubes in the retail pipeline were bought up.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The FedEx plane that caught fire last week supposedly had a whole bunch of iPods on it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

The FedEx plane that caught fire last week supposedly had a whole bunch of iPods on it.

Can't help but feel that this is going to be one of the great urban myths of our time - why would a FedEx plane flying from Oakland to FedEx's main hub be more loaded to the gills with iPods than anything else that comes out of the Bay area.

I could understand if a plane flying from the Far East - or wherever iPods are assembled - to Memphis was loaded with iPods, but Oakland? Please tell me that Apple runs its warehousing for for Apple Store (online) somewhere more central to FedEx's Memphis hub (and cheaper) than California generally, and the Bay specifically.