G5 does not wake up...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When my G5 goes to sleep, sometimes it takes several tries to get it to wake up. I get the whirring of the fan, sometimes the monitor powers up, but it goes right back to sleep. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    when i get my new g5 after MWSF i'll let you know if i encounter similar probs. sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Mine wakes up OK, but then it's totally locked up.

No mouse cursor, no keybaoard response, NOTHING!!

I'm running 10.3.2 and have applied the firmware update.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I had some problems with the G5 locking up after sleeping so I stopped using it. But hey, I'm doing great crunching through all these SETI units.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I've been having the same problems, but I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong. It usually happens when I make the DP G5 sleep after quitting all applications. The funny thing is that if you give it enugh time it will actually boot up bu it self (no user intervention).

When it wakes up it usually has a green screen and the keyboard becomes unresponsive, it usually happens after I've had the G5 sleep for more than 6 hours. I too did the firmware update on 10.3.2
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I don't have a G5 (or a mac, for that matter), but is there a way to disable going into sleep mode? If you leave it for a hour at a time, you could just turn it off
  • Reply 6 of 6
    yes, there are ways to make the computer not go to sleep:

a. System Preferences > Energy Saver set the slider for "Sleep if inactive" to Never.

b. leave iTunes playing in loop mode

c. etc.......

but I think that making the G5 sleep is OK, while I'm not using it.