Dual iBook 9/X transplant possible?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi there

One of my friends have a 500 Mhz iBook on which she is running 9.something. She wants to use X, but I´m not sure about the speed so I want to let her test it before we remove all her archives.

The plan is this: We set her iBook up as firewire target disk, move it to a folder on my computer and install X on it. Then is she is happy, good, if not then I remove X and move the previous contents of her hard disk back.

The question is of course: Is it possible to do this? I mean can I just reformat her harddisk and move ALL her old files back if nessesary?

And is anyone running X on a 500mhz iBook? Good/bad idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And is anyone running X on a 500mhz iBook? Good/bad idea?

running 10.3.2 on a iBook 500 with 384Mb RAM... (wouldn't try with less RAM)

snappier than any previous version of X, no question.... it's a joy.

you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to go back to 9, though.

as for the method of FW cloning... should work fine, and if not, backup is good.

will she still keep OS9 boot, or just go Classic mode from X?

might depend on upgrade of Appleworks, etc, which technically live in Applications:OS9

but in general... go for it... won't be sorry
  • Reply 2 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If X works then 9 is out. Not even as classic,
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Sure it's doable. I'd clone her HD to a disk image on your computer, format her HD, then install X on it. If it doesn't work out, just drag it all back to her reformatted HD. All OS 9 needs to boot is a System Folder (those were simpler times...) so it shouldn't be too complicated.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks and good. Then I´ll go ahead.

If the plan doesn´t work out and we put the old files back, wouldn´t we benefit from defragmentation with this little exersice (speeling socks I know)?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

If the plan doesn´t work out and we put the old files back, wouldn´t we benefit from defragmentation with this little exersice (speeling socks I know)?

Is this assumption right?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Now next question. It may be seen as a violation of the rules but here goes.

FOR TEST PURPOSE ONLY I´m going to let her use my install CDs that came with my new iBook. But AFAIR isn´t there is something about the CDs being locked to the machine type they came with? If it works I know what to give her for christmas but it would be stupid to buy something that is useless before testing it.