changing startup sound

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2014
OooOoOoo... I wonder, is there any way to change the start up sound of my mac? the "duuum" sound does grow old after many many years

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    yeah, that sound sucks!
  • Reply 2 of 44
    It's stored in ROM on the motherboard.

Good luck changing it!
  • Reply 3 of 44
    for security reasons....

keep it self sucks....

• Reply 4 of 44
    dang... is there any way to set the computer to play another tune? maybe from the HD?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Nope.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    "Startup" sound no. Desktop Startup sound, kind of.

from the last time this question was asked

versiontracker has some other utilities, but Classic Startup seems preferred

Not perfect, but does this do what you wanted?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    just keep it running and only put it to sleep - presto... no more start-up sound
  • Reply 8 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Do G5s have the same sound? I can't believe they didn't change it for G5s, it's been the same for a lot of new models, the G5 was quite a departure, I thought they'd finally change it. A Surround Sound start up sound, considering it has optical audio, would've been sweeeet. Sort of a swirling around you start up sound, or something. Maybe they'll change it for the iMac 3? The *G5* iMac?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't think it'll change anytime soon. Macs used to change startup sounds pretty often - my parents bought new Macs every few years and I remember wondering what the next one would sound like when starting up. Now, though, they've all sounded the same since the PCI PowerMacs came out, so I doubt there will be a change anytime soon.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Isn't the start up sound a B? Isn't that the note that an orchestra plays to tune up? You'd think, I played trumpet for 8 years and was in dozens of concerts, but I can't remember if a B was the note I played to tune up.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    no, a orchestra tunes their A, D, G, C, and E
  • Reply 12 of 44
    given Jobs and Woz early Phreaking history, it would be funny if it were a harmonic of 2600 Hz
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Having perfect pitch, I believe the startup chord is either D-flat major or G-flat major... I can't quite remember, and I'm not going to restart my Mac just to find out. :P

EDIT: fine, so I did reboot just to find out. It's sort of G-flat, but a quarter-tone or so flatter than your average A=440hz G flat.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    God I hate that sound! It's the only thing I'm tired of in my PB
  • Reply 15 of 44
    They used to have cool ones, like for the 840av. The IIsi and Quadras sounded happy. It's definitely been a record time since the sound changed! Time for a new one!
  • Reply 16 of 44
    If you look at digital metronomes, you will see that they do have A between 40BPM and 220BPM. To whoever said it, you tuned to B, because you're instrument is Bb. B on a Bb instrument is the equivalent to A concert
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

If you look at digital metronomes, you will see that they do have A between 40BPM and 220BPM. To whoever said it, you tuned to B, because you're instrument is Bb. B on a Bb instrument is the equivalent to A concert

That was me and thanks for the info. I knew that I wasn't going crazy and I tuned to a B.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    You could set the volume to zero on shutdown, then reset it to whatever you like on startup, using Applescript, to mute the startup sound.

Where are the Startup Items and Shutdown Items equivalents in OS X?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    In Library. Yes you're right, that's sort of a jury rigged way to do it, to mute the startup sound and play one at log in.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    It's a startup sound, not an OS-is-loading sound. Compare to x86 boxes, which after all these years still make that annoying "blip-bleep" noise when they boot. By comparison, the Mac startup tone is so rich and deep and almost creamy. ;p One of the many benefits of making he whole widget.

I always thought it was funny how MS has put in more and more complicated sounds when Windows starts to load. Like they can't match the beauty and immediacy of the Mac tone, so they try the my-startup-sound-is-longer-than-yours game. I think with XP they're up to an entire Rolling Stones album, a Beatles LP and half of Beethoven's Ninth. And Windows is still loading when it's all done. If you feel the need to match that, set your OSX to auto-login and play whatever you want at login.

To me, this is one of so many ways in which Windows just feels like a poorly designed toy. With its silly OS-loading noises, jarringly gaudy colors and bigger-is-better interface elements, how can it be considered a "serious" OS, and not something that fell off a Toys R Us truck? Oh, right, because it has more games. I forgot.