Browsers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have always used IE because of prior PC use (before conversion) and this has gotten rediculous- so slow. I've also been using Safari for the last several months and find it much faster - though with a few glitches. This last week I signed up with Mozilla and find it to be very fast and easy to use (so far) - though I find it doesn't let go - I have to use "force quit" if I want to shut down. My question is what are good alternative browsers? and what is experience with Mozilla. This is from a senior newbe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Camino is a pretty good alternative. Its main product page is at http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/

OmniWeb 4.5 is also a really good browser although it doesn't offer tabbed browsing. It uses the same rendering engine as Safari. You can find it at http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/
  • Reply 2 of 29
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I also use:

Mozilla- for E-mail (I find the interface too "bright" and it hurts my eyes after 15 minutes of surfing)

iCab- Nice, pretty fast, customizable web browser. But hangs when I open too many windows/tabs at once

Camino- Nice web browser, but didn't "click" with me. (Personal taste) Cool sidebar frature for storing bookmarks.

Safari- Small, fast browser good for everyday use.

I kinda wish someone would release a web browser that makes very efficiant use of screen space. I run 1024x768 on my Pismo and the top 1 1/4 or more is prettymuch wasted space in most browsers. I remember OS 9 being a little better about this.

Oh yea, my choice would be Safari. Second place iCab.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    A senior newbie eh?

I would go with Safari all the way. Great browser, very fast, very easy, more standardized than any of the others listed here. What are these "glitches" you speak of? Maybe we can help you out with them.

Note: In the future, this might be better off in Software.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I also love Safari and use it for most of my browsing but there are times where Safari can choke. One site that will choke the crap out of Safari is SprintPCS.com

My girlfriends cell phone is through Sprint and in the current version of Safari, it is EXTREMELY slow to load. In the new version of WebCore (the heart of Safari) which is still in development, this has been resolved, so until that is released I use Camino on some sites here and there.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    The best browser is the one that most suits your needs and taste. I personally prefer Camino only because I dislike the brushed metal look of Safari. Unfortunately Camino's development has slowed way down since Safari was released.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    One alternative, which I use on my PCs, is Mozilla's Firebird. It's similar to the standard Mozilla browser, but the first thing that hits you is the size of the top junk - compared to most, it's pretty small... Probably comparable to Safari, from the screenshots I've seen.

I dunno what the Mac version's like though...
  • Reply 7 of 29
    I use Firebird on every PC. I have successfully convinced family and friends to abandon IE and it's sea of problems for Mozilla's newest baby.

I use Safari on my Mac. I try the others occasionally, but I keep defaulting to Safari. Each of the other browsers has its own set of problems. Safari has been the most reliable of them all.

Firebird is pretty good on Mac OS X, but it still isn't quite up with Safari in the look-and-feel department. Recent nightly builds have incorporated a new version of the Pinstripe theme that is much better than the default. I suspect that when Omniweb 5 is released, though, it'll blow the pants off all the other browsers.

Moving to Software.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I would go with Safari all the way. Great browser, very fast, very easy, more standardized than any of the others listed here. What are these "glitches" you speak of? Maybe we can help you out with them.

Safari is a great and fast browser, agreed, but it does has it's issues.

Javascript support is not yet up to standards, as is CSS.

And I don't know what the deal is with (secure) https:// sites, but I know that when an URL starts with that, we're in trouble.

Still some work to do, and I'm eagerly waiting for v. 1.5 or 2. In the meantime is Saffie my main browser, but I have to keep Explorer at hand somewhere under a rock. \
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Hey, and Brad... why are my posts going down instead of up ? Second time already ...
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

And I don't know what the deal is with (secure) https:// sites, but I know that when an URL starts with that, we're in trouble.

Such as?

All HTTPS sites that I frequent work fine. This includes but isn't limited to my bank (Wachovia, First Union), my girlfriend's bank (Navy Federal Credit Union), my girlfriend's parents' bank (I can't recall the name, it's a smaller one), and my school's registration system and e-mail system (NCSU).

As for ECMAScript and CSS, Safari works fine with all the sites I visit. I can't recall ever visiting a site where problems were noticeable enough for me to file a bug report. If you're referring to sites (Mozilla junkies make a lot of these) that just stress-tests the browser with hundreds of CSS and ECMAScript variations, I don't count those as "real" sites. As long as Safari renders actual sites correctly, specifically ones that code properly (which it does for me), I don't care about some mocked-up testing site that is only used for benchmarking purposes.

I don't know about your posting problem. Chock it up to server weirdness.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    As I stated above there are some issues with some sites but for the most part Safari is really good at handling most sites. Sites like SprintPCS.com is where Safari becomes a huuuuge dog. Like I previously stated, the latest versions of WebCore that are being tested at Apple have fixed this and many other problems. For a 1.1 release, Safari is a champ.

BTW...I would rather people start developing sites towards more standards compliance, rather than IE compliance. That is my personal mission with sites that I develop. Some people think that IE compliance is actually standards compliance which is bullcrap. That needs to change.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    In terms of compatibility all browsers on the Mac are CRAP. IE in Os9 is probably the best one. Don't bother writing down all the Web Pages I have problems with (have done it many times here on the boards) and Safari seems to be the worst of the lot.

I still use Safari though, like the simple interface. I booted up in OS9 last week only to find out half the pages I have problems with actually work in OS9!! Seems we're going backwards when it comes to compatibility.

What I miss in Safari (along with better Java, CSS support) are proper contextual menus. Hate not being able to go back to previous page with my right mouse button
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

What I miss in Safari (along with better Java, CSS support)

Keep in mind Java isn't linked to Safari (problems would affect all browsers) and most importantly:

Java != JavaScript

They are not related in any way. Netscape just chose the name JavaScript because Java was an industry buzzword at the time. The "real" name for JavaScript is actually ECMAScript.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    All I know is Apple is at this point in time MAKING you BUY Safari with Panther. This reeks of that other company we know and hate. I assume they will eventually release Safari 1.1.1 for Jaguar!? Perhaps even 10.1.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Keep in mind Java isn't linked to Safari (problems would affect all browsers) and most importantly:

Java != JavaScript

They are not related in any way. Netscape just chose the name JavaScript because Java was an industry buzzword at the time. The "real" name for JavaScript is actually ECMAScript.

Except for LiveConnect. Which Safari doesn't support, IIRC.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

In terms of compatibility all browsers on the Mac are CRAP.

Generally, that's because In terms of compatibility MS Internet Explorer for Windows is CRAP.

IE breaks conventions, and sheep design their sites to work with IE's non-standard ideosyncracies. So standards-based browsers, which actually do everything as they're supposed to, don't display those broken sites correctly. It doesn't change the reality that those sites don't work in Safari, but it's often the site that's broken and incompatible, not the browser.

Really, it was a briliant (if belated) long-term strategic business move. Own the browser, own the internet. Or, at least, own the only tools to design and host sites that work correctly with the browser. So, same thing. Embrace, extend, own (and extinguish at will). [Yes, this is a major pet peeve of mine.]

Edit: Yea, foad! Didn't notice your reply at first.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Generally, that's because In terms of compatibility MS Internet Explorer for Windows is CRAP.

Edit: Yea, foad! Didn't notice your reply at first.

[rant]

I hate that situation. IE is such a POS browser...even on windows. There is no reason it should be the most used browser. It is the wrost browser. It is the worst not only for it's rendering of code but also for the shotty programming.

Now MS wants to intergrate it more with the OS. That is the worst idea I have ever heard. My web browser should not have low level system access. It jsut opens up the amount of crap that can go wrong on someones computer. I just hate it. On my windows box at work I use Firebird because it is a pretty good browser.

Sorry for the random rant...I have a utter hatred towards IE. I learned how to code standards compliant code, then I also had to learn how to write IE code. :/

[/rant]
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Such as?

All HTTPS sites that I frequent work fine. This includes but isn't limited to my bank (Wachovia, First Union), my girlfriend's bank (Navy Federal Credit Union), my girlfriend's parents' bank (I can't recall the name, it's a smaller one), and my school's registration system and e-mail system (NCSU).

As for ECMAScript and CSS, Safari works fine with all the sites I visit. I can't recall ever visiting a site where problems were noticeable enough for me to file a bug report. If you're referring to sites (Mozilla junkies make a lot of these) that just stress-tests the browser with hundreds of CSS and ECMAScript variations, I don't count those as "real" sites. As long as Safari renders actual sites correctly, specifically ones that code properly (which it does for me), I don't care about some mocked-up testing site that is only used for benchmarking purposes.

I had several https sites that did not work, so much so I had to use IE for it. Problems were with my bank, Hotmail and Paypal. However, now I checked again for this post - and I don't know it's because of the last update (1.1.1) - these sites work fine now. Cool. One more reason to dump IE. Paypal replies still do crash Mail, tough.

On the CSS front, however: form tags are still not supported (field background colors and borders and such).
  • Reply 19 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Such as?

In my case too, there are secure domains that Safari cannot handle. In these cases, fortunately, OW 4.5 can do the trick and I can avoid IE . Personally, I use most of the time Safari but I really miss several features of OW... For example, this one comes in my mind right now: when printing in Safari, you cannot specify headers and footers (web page title, URL etc.), as in OW .
  • Reply 20 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

[rant]

I hate that situation. IE is such a POS browser...even on windows. There is no reason it should be the most used browser. It is the wrost browser. It is the worst not only for it's rendering of code but also for the shotty programming.

Now MS wants to intergrate it more with the OS. That is the worst idea I have ever heard. My web browser should not have low level system access. It jsut opens up the amount of crap that can go wrong on someones computer. I just hate it. On my windows box at work I use Firebird because it is a pretty good browser.

Sorry for the random rant...I have a utter hatred towards IE. I learned how to code standards compliant code, then I also had to learn how to write IE code. :/

[/rant]

Way to go! That's completely right. I hate how MS is constantly bullshitting about making a "more secure" computing experience in response to the ridiculous number of security holes found in their software, and then they turn around and do the same kind of stuff that caused all these security holes over again. Don't they ever learn? Why can't all these big-headed industry analysts see that they're just a stupid company that doesn't spend any time looking for security flaws before a product release? Instead they just wait for third parties to discover them at which point they can try to cover their ass (and because it's Microsoft, everyone will allow them to). The general public doesn't care; they don't even equate all the problems with Microsoft. They just say "boy, those hackers are something these days," or "man, computers sure can be a pain." I would be interested to see a commercial by Apple (or any other company that wants to strike a blow to MS) in the style of a public service announcement, telling people that X number of security flaws have been found in the Microsoft Windows OS, the MS could have prevented it, and that they've caused countless billions of dollars in lost productivity over the years. It would be a gutsy move but I'd like to see it, even if it would only convince a few people of MS's irresponsibility.