Analyst Says, "Powerbook G5 Could Easily Appear In January"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
SORRY STORY ALREADY POSTED. PLEASE CLOSE

From Mac Minute:

Quote:

Analyst expects speed-bumped G5s next month

December 22 - 17:50 EST__ IBM is ready to deliver a new version of its PowerPC processor-- at speeds of 2.4 to 2.6GHz -- to Apple by the end of this year, in time for a revision to the Power Mac G5 line, according to Peter Glaskowsky, analyst with Instat/MDR and editor-in-chief of the Microprocessor Report. "The main improvement to the PowerPC chip, known internally at IBM as the PowerPC 970fx, will be a reduction of the features on the chip itself, from sizes of 130 nanometers to 90 nanometers. Shrinking the features on the chip allows it to consume less power even as it speeds up, making it easier to cool and easier to use." Glaskowsky also says that "there are no technical hurdles to producing a Powerbook G5. It could easily appear in January."

Original Forbes story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nahhh, macsrgood....your post is likely more acurate in title and substance...

g
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I would love to see a PowerBook G5. I am going to be getting a PowerBook during the summer, and I would love to have a G5 to replace a first generation G4 desktop.

The technical hurdles from the perspective of cooling a huge chip are further more. But who knows what else Apple would want to include. Also, they have really only had one generation of the 15" AlBooks, so who knows if they would want to stop it now. They should, G5 PowerBooks would sell like hot cakes (no pun intended, but deliberate)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Im wondering if Apple might spring the surprise of a G5 Powerbook on us @ MWSF, Why?.

Its a fact that Apple has not been able to capture as much of the notebook sales growths that every other PC manufacturer achieved in 2003.

Yes, Notebooks account for >50% of apples unit shipments, but thats because its desktop shipments dropped steadily, due to poor PMac G4's and iMac LCD's, and the huge delays in upgrades to its powerbook line in 2003.

So Apple then intro's the G4 ibook to stop the rot, so just maybe we might get a G5 PB @ MWSF - but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Those are some good points. A G5 PowerBook would definitely boost sales in the Professional Markets.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I don't know...it sounds a bit overly optimistic and early. I realize it it's a different Apple today, but surely they wouldn't risk alienating and pissing off purchasers of the still relatively new first gen Al PB's.

If it were to surface, I can see the introduction of perhaps only one high end 17" model at 1.6 ghz. Priced accordingly, it'll at least keep the resale value of existing line, buoyant for a little while.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I don't know...it sounds a bit overly optimistic and early. I realize it it's a different Apple today, but surely they wouldn't risk alienating and pissing off purchasers of the still relatively new first gen Al PB's.

If it were to surface, I can see the introduction of perhaps only one high end 17" model at 1.6 ghz. Priced accordingly, it'll at least keep the resale value of existing line, buoyant for a little while.

That's life in the computer world.. you purchase something and the better thing comes out. I doubt Apple's reasons and timeline of releasing a PBg5 are related to the late launch date of the alPBs and the purchasers disappointment of purchasing their pb too early

I think the g5 was the plan for the AlPBs all along.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

I think the g5 was the plan for the AlPBs all along.

Why do you think that?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Think Secret is reporting that no new CPU's will be presented at MWSF. The Keynote will be music-oriented with new iPods, MiniPods, iLfe updates. We'll see I guess.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Good thing I decided to wait until NEXT Xmas to take my Powerbook plunge.

I hope the 15" G5 PB won't run more than $2599 before tax.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by XB Powerbook

Good thing I decided to wait until NEXT Xmas to take my Powerbook plunge.

I hope the 15" G5 PB won't run more than $2599 before tax.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Depends on the configuration that you want (RAM, Combo/Super drive, HD size). However, I don't think that the prices will jump much. Apple's products have always been a little more expensive, but it's worth it. I don't think that we would see a $2600 15" PB (base price). Thats too much, even for an Apple product.