when did macminute join the rumor mill??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
here

telling you g5 iMacs in January...not powerbooks yet...

g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Not yet, but we're getting closer
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

here

telling you g5 iMacs in January...not powerbooks yet...

MacMinute's quoted analysts' takes on future products before. I wouldn't describe this as "join[ing] the rumor mill."

Concerning the linked article, I'm curious about this statement (emphasized by me):

Quote:

Faster chips will also migrate to the Powerbook notebook line. There's a pretty good chance that a Powerbook G5 notebook will appear no later than the summer of 2004.

"There are no technical hurdles to producing a Powerbook G5. It could easily appear in January," Glaskowsky says.

Is this really the case?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I would love to see a PowerBook G5. I am going to be getting a PowerBook during the summer, and I would love to have a G5 to replace a first generation G4 desktop.

The technical hurdles from the perspective of cooling a huge chip are further more. But who knows what else Apple would want to include. Also, they have really only had one generation of the 15" AlBooks, so who knows if they would want to stop it now. They should, G5 PowerBooks would sell like hot cakes (no pun intended, but deliberate)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

"There are no technical hurdles to producing a Powerbook G5. It could easily appear in January," Glaskowsky say

If there are no technical hurdles, there may be some lingering "political" or contractual issues with Motorola and the G4. Apple will still need the G4 for iBooks and eMacs. Also IBM might not be able to supply enough chips to cover all of these product lines, so Apple still needs to get some chips from Moto. The PB's are selling well with the G4, and the chip that Moto is making for them may scale to 1.4-1.6 which would keep them competitive. The iMac has seen 2 years with 1 speed bump, and is more in need of a new breath of life similar to that given to the PM's with the release of the G5.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    The specs between the current g4 iBook and the Powermacs are too similar to continue to hold back the G5 laptop. But there must be engineering issues beyond simply cooling the chip, such as the new motherboard design for the improved bus and memory architecture.

Further, Apple has been very public about a later timeframe for the Powerbook G5 -- I can't imagine that Apple execs would speak to the press about this issue and then would turn around and release it a few weeks later.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Does anyone know how much longer Apple is contractually tied to Scro-torola? When can we actually close this painful chapter?

• Reply 7 of 10
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Interesting analyst release, but for some reason the wording of it really bugs me. Maybe just an example of a techie dumbing down something for general consumption?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

The specs between the current g4 iBook and the Powermacs are too similar to continue to hold back the G5 laptop. But there must be engineering issues beyond simply cooling the chip, such as the new motherboard design for the improved bus and memory architecture.

Further, Apple has been very public about a later timeframe for the Powerbook G5 -- I can't imagine that Apple execs would speak to the press about this issue and then would turn around and release it a few weeks later.

That is true, the specs between the 'Books are too similar right now. The main difference is the screens and a little more PRO stuff for the PowerBooks.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Is this really the case?

Is he an engineer in his spare time?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Didnt Apple recently fall out with one of its Taiwanese laptop makers over who should pay for redundancy costs, and shift production of PowerBooks to another? Could be a sign - no more G4 PB's.