What exterior iPod colours would you like, if any?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Maybe I'm a purist, but I can't see this whole fruity explosion of colour happening again.

Yes, it may evoke more personality, but it might also cheapen the look of the iPod. Especially if rumours are true of a low cost model, an all plastic model without the chrome backing would further devalue the status of the iPod (let's face it, it really is kind of a status thing).

If there were colours, perhaps they could be more muted tones or with hint of metallic. Keep it limited to four in total. How about,

Classic white

Aluminum silver

Metallic pale blue

Graphite Grey

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I'm a purist too, which is why I want to see this8)

(revised)

• Reply 2 of 28
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Interesting idea, Wrong Robot.

How would that work...different snap on buttons?

Surely not a colour LCD...then again that could spill over onto the main screen.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Robot... niiiiiiiiice idea.

• Reply 4 of 28
    color LEDs would be the logical way to do it, otherwise, just different faceplate type 'lens' to filter the light.

I've heard tell that there are phones now a days with color changing LEDs, that is a button may light up blue, then shift to red or green.

ultimately I think color changing LEDs for buttons on the iPod would be the best.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i have to admit, aesthetically, i hate the red led's myself. i know there's some sort of viewing advantage to red lights in the dark... that's why my car's dashboard was cursed with an ALL RED led display. it's like staring into friggin' hell. otherwise, i love the car.

what the hell happened to amber? i used to love amber-on-black displays.

p.s. wrongrobot, can you shrink the size of that image any? or just spot zoom on the different color led's?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Give the kids whatever colours they want. Surely that's what the miniPod is all about. 12 - 18 year olds. Anybody else caught in the net will just be a bonus.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    BLACK

(oh and those white/blue/and green buttons look REALLY good)
  • Reply 8 of 28
    if anyone wants to host my revised image I'd appreciate it...PM me.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I want an aluminum iPod to go next to my G5 damn it!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I've heard tell that there are phones now a days with color changing LEDs,...

Yeah, the Samsung S105 is one of those. When I had one I had the option to change the color of the "service light" into one of 5 or 6 colors. When the phone received a call, it would spastically flash all the different colors in a psychotic seizure-like way.

But yes, it has been done, and it's pretty effective.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Orange metalflake. No really!

(from GMP Guitars' website )
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Orange metalflake. No really!

paul likes orange!!! color me surprised....

bring back sage and ruby

g
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Two words: Flower Power
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I'm hoping for an iPod with little bunnies on it:

• Reply 15 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wrong Robot that's brilliant. Though a new body color might be nice too.

DMBand0026 don't forget Blue Dalmatian! Actually seriously, that might be nice, and sell...to Disco Stu...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    url

this long url accomplishes the same thing, the Sony Reciever here has the ability to change on the fly...even better idea.

-walloo.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    definitely, color changing buttons would be the best.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    WR- that is some great stuff. Neat ideas. Is AAPL hiring for industrial design? 8)

I personally want a Carbon Fiber iPod and I agree on the brushed aluminum idea. Would be lightweight, too.

I would dig a cobalt/royal blue as well. Would match my truck. The carbon fiber would match my interior.

Anyone remember the PB 1400 with the user-changable "book covers" on the lid? Those ROCKED. They even sent you templates to put under the plexiglass cover. Apple ought to bring them to the iPod.

The WOOD version

http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/...BK1400Wood.jpg

The SOLAR version

http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/...K1400Solar.jpg

Imagine an iPod that SELF CHARGES by being covered in SOLAR CELLS?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
  • Reply 20 of 28
    I remember reading about a year ago Apple getting a patent on a method of changing colors for enclousers......Wouldn't it be great to select your own favorite color or hue.....or even change it at will, just in case you have a blue Monday.

Someone dig out that old information and share it with the forum.....

8) 8)