wireless network question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OoOoOoo... Let me start off by saying, I have never used a wireless network before, so bare with me OK, to begin with, I found a wireless router made by D-link for 19.99 here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...RCCODE=WEM610C

Now it is a 802.11b wireless router, my question is, will it work with my airport extreme card? which is a 802.11g (of course everyone knows this so I don't know why I put it there but whatever ). If it does work, I know it would give me less then half my potential speed, but hey, 19.99 isn't bad for a wireless router, right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Yes, it will work, but, like you said, only at the slower "b" speed. I have two of those Di-614+'s, once at home and at one at work, and I love them both. Easy to set up, more powerful firewall and routing features than I'd've guessed, and impressive range.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    $19.99? Not bad at all: the best I could find in the UK was £50 for Belkin's equivalent router. It works fine with my Airport Extreme PowerBook, as 802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b. For accessing broadband wirelessly 802.11b/g doesn't make much difference, as both are faster than usual broadband speeds.

How does it do 22Mbps? Is it part of the 802.11b specification or is it a crafty DLink thing?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=35581

I was wondering the same thing, but I asked if a windows router would still send a signal to a pb
  • Reply 4 of 10
    one more question, what's with the Ghz frequency thingy? the Dlink has a 2.4 Ghz frequency, would that work with the airport extreme? Also, is the airport extreme the only card that can be placed in a 1ghz 12" powerbook? or is there a 3rd party product that can be used?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    2.4 ghz cordless phones will disrupt your network....use with caution.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    802.11a is the only version that uses a different frequency other than 2.4 Ghz. (802.11a is somewhere around 5Ghz) All other 802.11x systems use 2.4 Ghz
  • Reply 7 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The 12" PowerBook doesn't have a PCMCIA slot, only a proprietary Airport slot.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dang, proprietary... o well, it's a fair price for a 802.11g card .... Time for some gentle pushing of the parents (aka ask and annoy)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

2.4 ghz cordless phones will disrupt your network....use with caution.

802.11b/g work on a spread spectrum from 2.41Ghz to 2.49Ghz. Most 2.4Ghz digital phones out there use a narrow frequency band, and the 802.11 device will automatically switch to a different spectrum pattern if there's too much interference.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=35581

I was wondering the same thing, but I asked if a windows router would still send a signal to a pb

A router doesn't know or care what operating systems run on the clients it serves. There are no "Windows" routers, and there are no "Mac" routers either. The internet is platform-agnostic. It's too dumb. One of its greatest, most wonderful attributes. And as long as BillG doesn't have his way, it will stay that way.