Brett Favre's toughest night

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well, the man is playing like none other, and his team is rallying around him in the most amazing way ever. 311 yards and 4 touchdowns IN THE FIRST HALF. is it possible to throw for 700 yards in a game? i'm not a weepy guy, but it's moving to see him leap and cheer and hug like i haven't seen in years. maybe it touches me a bit more since i lost my dad this summer, and i wish i had had something like this to help me "work out the pain" and focus on something great in a time of such pain.

he may shatter every record in the book tonight in the name of his father (who passed away last night unexpectedly, for those who don't know).

i know he'll never read this, but all the best, brett. i don't know if i believe in ghosts or spirits here with us, but this game is something special (even if it is a blowout)...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    You knew things would slow down in the second half, they always do in a blowout. But that was the most incredible half I've ever seen a quarterback play. How the hell did all those bombs fall right into the hands of his receivers? All he had to do was fling the ball up, and *boom*, 50 yard reception. It was like magic. If you believe in such things, you might have thought his dad was guiding the ball, who knows? A truly awesome night, in the old-fashioned sense of "inspiring great awe". Just awesome.

Amost as amazing is that he hit 12 different receivers. I couldn't even name 12 Giants who are qualified to have a pass thrown to them, much less who might catch it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I think if you're a football fan at all, you've got to love Brett. You just knew he'd have a special game tonight. Just an intangible quality in certain athletes.

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 15
    By far the best performance for any QB that I've ever seen. The man had it going on, and no matter what fan you are you have to respect farve for the intensity, integraty (sorry TERRIBLE SPELLER), and talent he brings to the game.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I was less surprised by his performance than by his postgame composure during the sideline interviews and such.

And of course I was not at all surprised by the score. It was the Raiders after all.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Favr-uh would've gone down as the greatest, had he been paired with someone like Jerry Rice his whole career. Alas, there's no one else in sight to challenge Montana's legacy besides Brett. Not yet anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I was less surprised by his performance than by his postgame composure during the sideline interviews and such.

And of course I was not at all surprised by the score. It was the Raiders after all.

i couldn't believe lisa guerrero led with the "broken thumb... broken heart" comment. i nearly gagged.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i couldn't believe lisa guerrero led with the "broken thumb... broken heart" comment. i nearly gagged.

Yeah I don't give those monday night field "reporters" credit for the brains....I miss Mellissa Starks.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Yeah I don't give those monday night field "reporters" credit for the brains....I miss Mellissa Starks.

Everybody misses Melissa Stark.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Yes, because she was smoking hot.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member

mmm.

Monday night.....
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Yes, because she was smoking hot.

Because she spoke her lines like she wasn't being spoonfed them by an off-camera producer.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Because she spoke her lines like she wasn't being spoonfed them by an off-camera producer.

Oh yeah...totally...that's why I cared....
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Having lived in Wisconsin most of my life, I am a big Packers fan. Favre is a great quarterback, but he isn't infallible. Just look at his previous Monday night game against Philadelphia. Madden and Michaels were over the top on their compliments to Favre. If I weren't a fan of the Packers or of Favre, I would have thrown up from all of their gushing.

Having watched almost every Packer game in the past two decades, last night's performance was one of the best I have ever seen from any quarterback. Credit also has to be given to the receivers because they caught some tough passes in double coverage. Oakland didn't intentially lay down and let Green Bay walk all over them.

Fortunately this was not a college game, because if it were, the score would have been 62-7 or something like that because in college football, teams are always running up the score on overmatched opponents. Favre and Sherman have enough class to not do that. I could name a few coaches in the NFL that would have no problem running up the score.

As for any other current quarterback to challenge Montana and Favre for being the best quarterback of the past quarter century, I think that Peyton Manning has the best chance. As for the best QBs of all time, I would have to argue that Otto Graham and Bart Starr beat both Montana and Favre for consistancy. There are probably others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    My question is though should Green bay have run up the score to get a better chance to win the division? Because if they outscore the vikings then will they be able to win the division if both teams win out? Or am I really off?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Minnesota already has the tie-breaker because they have a better conference schedule.

What I don't comprehend is why strength of schedule would come into play if Dallas, Green Bay, and Seattle tie. The third tie-breaker (when three or more teams tie) is conference record. Dallas and Seattle have a better conference record than Green Bay, so I would assume that they would win that tie-breaker. But for some reason the fourth tie-breaker is supposed to be used. Does anyone know why?