Anheuser World Select

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
alright. . . While I'm drunk and on a topic posting streak, why not involve one of the prime ingredients. . . .

This is some good stuff. My assessment: continental style beer that you can drink 8 of and not feel like you have a brick in your gut. Note that I do have a very weak sense of smell and taste, but for me it's very similar to Grolsch in taste, and it goes down really easy.

The other ingredient is cheap champagne. $60 a case. Jihad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Champagne? The champagne of beers you mean. High Life. You're living the high life! Welcome aboard!

(To everyone else, no, I don't think I understand.)
  • Reply 2 of 19
    12 bottles in a case?

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat here. mmm.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    40s of high life. That's talking turkey.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Anheuser World Select .... bleck!!! It's nasty!!!!!

I'll drink High Life, though. 40s are great, but have you ever had the High Life 8oz bottles.... now that's class.

• Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Anheuser World Select .... bleck!!! It's nasty!!!!!

I'll drink High Life, though. 40s are great, but have you ever had the High Life 8oz bottles.... now that's class.

Ugh. When I go and buy cheap beer, there are two things that I buy. The first is Iron City. It's rare and hard to find outside of Pittsburg. After that, it's all about Bud. $12 for a case of bottles? Awesome. 5% alcohol? getting better. The fact that all other $12/case beer (save iron city) taste like club soda. . . the big reason.

The worst beer I've ever had has to be Rolling Rock. I honestly thought I was drinking water. All versions of Miller fall close to this boat, and any american light beer out there, I don't consider to be beer.

So when people come out and say "World Select sucks, I like High Life," pardon me if I don't count your opinion as a valid one. World Select is a continental beer with an American touch. . . . Whodathunk that it tastes awfully similar to Czechvar. (but you can pound 'em all night long) I'd actually give it a better rating than Carlsberg, Stella, St. Pauli Girl. . . several other beers in that boat.

For those who don't know, Czechvar is known as Budvar is various other countries, and as Budweiser in the Czech Rep. . . . It's the same family name.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

So when people come out and say "World Select sucks, I like High Life," pardon me if I don't count your opinion as a valid one

No, sorry... you get me wrong. I don't like High Life, but I can drink it. I haven't had it in a few years. I like it for the novelty, I guess.... the fact that they call it the champagne of beers is great. No, I usually spring for the expensive microbrew or import. My favorite (right now) is Sweet Water I.P.A. (and other pale ales)... I also like Paulaner Hefe Weiss. When I go cheap I go malt liquor or any ICE beer (5.5% alcohol/vol.)
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

No, sorry... you get me wrong. I don't like High Life, but I can drink it. I haven't had it in a few years. I like it for the novelty, I guess.... the fact that they call it the champagne of beers is great. No, I usually spring for the expensive microbrew or import. My favorite (right now) is Sweet Water I.P.A. (and other pale ales)... I also like Paulaner Hefe Weiss. When I go cheap I go malt liquor or any ICE beer (5.5% alcohol/vol.)

Well, that makes sense. I really like continental beers, hence I found World Select to be pretty good. I never said it's the best beer on earth, though, and as far as I know, Grolsch is cheaper for a case. (17.99) If World Select were $18, I'd probably buy it over Grolsch.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Most American brews are little more than swill beer. Drives me nuts that they charge $5 for 14 oz. of POS Old Style at Wrigley. Id' go there a lot more often if they sold good beer (and good brats) for that price.

Sam Adams is really good but way too heavy to drink more than 2 or 3 unless you're talking about an all-nighter with lot's of chips and other light (as in texture not calories) foods. It's a lot like Bass; it's a beer that's meant to be enjoyed slowly, not chugged.

• Reply 9 of 19
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    LL that is shiite.... sheer shiite!!!

GIMME A GUINNESS!!!

(sp?)
  • Reply 10 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Black and Tans are the best.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Don't turn this into a dark beer thread. I'm warning you.

Really, the world would be a better place if beer never made it across the channel.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Welll then . . . . there is an Aussie Porter that I used to drink every night . . . . awesome!

what was it? . . . oh yeah:

SHEAF STOUT!!!!!!

good stuff you can TASTE!!

Not this idiot water that actually doesn't classify as beer such as Bud, or Lite or etc . . . garbage mini-mart foamy water made for cleaning urethras
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Welll then . . . . there is an Aussie Porter that I used to drink every night . . . . awesome!

what was it? . . . oh yeah:

SHEAF STOUT!!!!!!

good stuff you can TASTE!!

Not this idiot water that actually doesn't classify as beer such as Bud, or Lite or etc . . . garbage mini-mart foamy water made for cleaning urethras

Honestly, dark beer is sweet and mild. Get over it. I've been told that people who really like chocolate like dark beer. . . In other words, women like it. I have yet to understand the "dark beer is manly and good" concept. Dark beer is not hard core. . . in fact, it's the opposite. Try something with a strong character, like a cold Becks or Jever or something.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Love dark chocolate, hate dark beer. Dislike white chocolate, love wiess beer, especially Haacker Pschorr from the tap...

I hate Buttweiser, especially Butt Light, since it tastes like water. Miller isn't much better. Killian's Red and Leine's Red are very good.

Sorry, but I don't like sandwiches in my beer...
  • Reply 15 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Try something with a strong character, like a cold Becks or Jever or something.

Oh Lordy, please stop before you embarass yourself even further.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Honestly, dark beer is sweet and mild. Get over it. I've been told that people who really like chocolate like dark beer. . . In other words, women like it. I have yet to understand the "dark beer is manly and good" concept. Dark beer is not hard core. . . in fact, it's the opposite. Try something with a strong character, like a cold Becks or Jever or something.

Is this supposed to appeal to some sense of masculinity?!

Dark beer has many flavors . . . even some that are as flavorless as bad mini-mart beers . . . Brown Castle for instance

one can like good strong darks such as Sheaf Stout (and it aint sweet and soft) and one can also like a good Weisen (provided it actually has some meat to it . . . it is possible to hold two likings at once

its amazing I know, but true
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Oh Lordy, please stop before you embarass yourself even further.

Listen, I didn't ask for a dumb response. While I acknowledge that people have different tastes, the "real beer is dark," mentality is just stupid. I sell equipment to bars. I've had a lot of beers. Megabrews and microbrews. I know that I don't like dark beer. I also know that I have a pretty good knowledge of what's out there.

The whole point is that this thread isn't about how much you like Guiness. If you compare a something like an Anheuser Select or a Grolsch to a dark beer, I'm going to kick you in the shin. . . hard. I don't want to hear about how you wish you could go to Ireland and drink dark beer and hang around with leprechauns.

Quote:

Is this supposed to appeal to some sense of masculinity?

Not really, but there's often a consensus to the extent that Yellow/Amber beer is like water, and that dark beer is what beer is supposed to be. Yes, it always comes from people whose light-colored beer experience is limited to tailgates and backyard parties, but it drives me crazy. There are some dark beers that I am happy to drink, but for me to try a dark beer, it's taking a big risk. I wanted to point out that there are indeed light colored beers out there that are not at all like water. . . . And that there are enough dark beers out there that are really awful too.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Well, bringing it back to the Anheuser Select topic.... I've had Grolsch on several occasions and thought it was alright. But, honestly, when I bought the Anheuser World Select, I felt like I pissed my money away. It was priced as high as an import but tasted like ass. Of course this is my opinion and if you like it that's fine with me.

My tastes in beer are also dependent on the particular day... some nights I'm in the mood for a dark beer, while other nights I feel like something else. I like many beers.... many, many beers. Too many, oh god...... I need help.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Well, bringing it back to the Anheuser Select topic.... I've had Grolsch on several occasions and thought it was alright. But, honestly, when I bought the Anheuser World Select, I felt like I pissed my money away. It was priced as high as an import but tasted like ass. Of course this is my opinion and if you like it that's fine with me.

My tastes in beer are also dependent on the particular day... some nights I'm in the mood for a dark beer, while other nights I feel like something else. I like many beers.... many, many beers. Too many, oh god...... I need help.

Yeah, It's too expensive, and I'm not going to buy it since there are better beers for the same price. But if it were somewhere between Bud and imports in price, I think I'd buy it a lot. . . Of course, a lot of the character of a Pilsner comes from the water in the region, and all the good pilsners come from regions with really hard water. So for a company like Anheuser it's going to be very hard to mass produce a consistent beer in multiple locations as they do. It may actually taste different in different regions. . . that would be a weird experiment.

The only thing that really suprised me is the "it tastes like water" comment. It has a lot of hops in it, like any pilsner, and that's one reason a lot of people aren't going to like it. There's not much body, no, but if it tastes like water, your faucet could make you rich. Anyway, it makes sense that you didn't like it, given the beers you listed in your preference list. Light body, lots of hops vs more body, less hops.