The Da Vinci Code

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    DId anyone notice that there's a character in the Davinci Code named Leigh Teabing, and there's a book that pushes the Davinci Code theory about the Holy Grail called Holy Blood, Holy Grail by the authors Leigh, Lincoln, and Baigent? (Teabing is an anagram of Baigent.)
  • Reply 22 of 30
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

That was a book I enjoyed tremendously. Eco is now as much my favourite author as Orwell always was.

*smooch*
  • Reply 23 of 30
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick1138

The Knights of Columbus are a secular fraternal organiztion- their work is mostly of a charitable nature - the reasons the membership is mostly Catholic are:

1. Membership was not proscribed by the church.

2. Catholics were allowed to join during its entire history.

I was fairly certain that the KoC are an explicitly Catholic organization, and in fact were founded as such. Sure enough, from their own "About Us " page:

"The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic men's fraternal benefit society that was formed to render financial aid to members and their families."

Interestingly (and irrelevantly). the KoC own and occupy the tallest building in downtown New Haven, CT. Worldwide headquarters of the KoC, in fact. New Haven, of course, also happens to be the hometown of Skull & Bones.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Everything is connected. It is not a conspiracy theory. Many of these groups seem connected. Masons, Illuminati, Knights of Templar, Priory of Sion. And they seem to be at odds with the Catholic Church and its myriad of organizations like Opus Dei, if I understand correctly? It's all very archai and yet within the chaos lies order. It's ridiculous how many elected US officials in the US and Italy are and especially were Masons.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I enjoyed the Da Vinci code as fiction, but I immediately had to wonder how accurate Brown's research was in areas that I don't know well, like art history and architecture and the history of the RC Church, because when it came to something I do know better, astronomy, he made sizeable errors.

The planet Venus does go around the Sun roughly five times every four years, but the path Venus takes bears less resemblance to a "perfect" pentagon than a two-year old's attempt to draw a beach ball does to a perfect circle.

Then, once again showing that he understands nothing about the planet Venus, at the end of the book Brown has Venus rising in the east as the Sun sets. This is completely impossible, short of Venus being blasted out of its current orbit. Anyone with even a meager knowledge of stargazing should be aware of this.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What does brown say about the Catholic Church, architecture and art? I suppose I should just read the book.

The whole "secret of the masons" thing boils down to the golden section and Vitruvius. I imagine there are plenty of other great mysteries to these groups that aren't quite so mysterious in the end.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I enjoyed the Da Vinci code as fiction, but I immediately had to wonder how accurate Brown's research was in areas that I don't know well, like art history and architecture and the history of the RC Church, because when it came to something I do know better, astronomy, he made sizeable erro of this.

At the beginning of the book and again on his web page Dan Brown states that all descriptions of artwork and locations are accurate. He has pictures of almost all of the paintings on his web site so you can check them out for yourself.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

What does brown say about the Catholic Church, architecture and art? I suppose I should just read the book.

The whole "secret of the masons" thing boils down to the golden section and Vitruvius. I imagine there are plenty of other great mysteries to these groups that aren't quite so mysterious in the end.

Just by the way that you worded your post I can tell you that you would probably really like his books. Angels and Demons is more about ancient rivalries between the church and science, and the connections between Bernini's sculpture's within Rome and Illuminati symbolism. The DaVinci Code is more about Mary Magdalene, Jesus, the Holy Grail, the church gaining influence by adopting traditions and symbols from other religions and an elite group of people that carried a secret about all of it. The book kinda goes through and connects everything for you in a really cool way. Remember that cartoon show The Magic School Bus or whatever where they took crazy wacky adventures through outer space, the human body, and such just to teach kids about stuff in a fun way? Well, Dan Brown kinda takes you on a crazy wacky adventure all over Europe in order to teach you about this stuff. DaVinci Code talks about DaVicni's Vitruvian Man and a lot of stuff in his other artwork too.

Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

[B]At the beginning of the book and again on his web page Dan Brown states that all descriptions of artwork and locations are accurate. He has pictures of almost all of the paintings on his web site so you can check them out for yourself.

It's awesome how he has pictures of the stops along the path of illumination from Angels and Demons and all that. My friend showed me some of that while I was still reading it and then when I was done I came back and saw the rest of all the pictures he has one there.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I was just talking to my wife about Brown's books tonight, and I remarked that I'm struck as I read him that he seems to want to write a book of nonfiction--there are so many loooong passages where complex arguments are laid out that it seems he would rather just dispense with the fiction altogether and just lay out some conspiracy theory.

I almost wish he would.

Cheers

Scott

PS

I'll probably finish The da Vinci Code tonight.