Copy Protected CDs...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello all,

I am an honest music listener. I don't pirate CDs, etc. and I recently legitimately bought a CD from the nearby music store, and tried to import it onto my iMac G4, and iPod.

The CD went in, iTunes popped up, and I click import only to have the CD drive make stupid spinning noises constantly. I had to reboot to stop it.

The back of the CD has a small paragraph with a logo beneath.

I feel ripped of as this was a legitimate purchase from a legitimate store, and I can't play it on my AUD$700 iPod.

This is bullshit.

Has anyone come across any OS X software that can circumvent this "copy protection"?

Thanks in advance. m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    What happens if you go into iTunes prefs and tell it not to start up when a CD is inserted? Does the CD mount? Can you open the disc and see the AIFF tracks inside? I'd try copying those to my HD and then importing them into iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

What happens if you go into iTunes prefs and tell it not to start up when a CD is inserted? Does the CD mount?

Yes the CD does mount. Nothing seems to be different save for the inability to rip or even PLAY the CD in iTunes.

Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

Can you open the disc and see the AIFF tracks inside? I'd try copying those to my HD and then importing them into iTunes.

I tried this with another copy protected CD, and the same noise happened ? in two different model Macs, mind you.

I had to restart the Macs, as even if I cancelled the copy, the CD drive was still making these noises.

You know, I don't pay money to buy an iPod only to not be allowed to port my music onto it.

I would rather Canada's laws regarding a "compensation" levy if it would stop this infringing copy protection crap. m.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I would have bought Radiohead's Hail To The Theif and Jet's Get Born, if they didn't have copy protection. Both are great albums... but that doesn't count for shit when I can't listen to them.

The only reason I would ever consider selecting "yes" in the above poll is if Copy Protection hammers another nail in the recording industry's coffin. Right now, I have far more moral qualms about BUYING albums than copying them.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 35
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i won't buy copy protected CD's, period.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I won't buy them either, as 80% of my listening to music is done in iTunes, and I don't want to have to switch CDs around. I would say that you should be able to get the songs on the iTMS, but you're not in the US, so that's rough dude.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Right now, I have far more moral qualms about BUYING albums than copying them.

Exactly.

If you must allow yourself to be right royally fleeced then go to Google and find out the various methods for copying copy-protected CDs.

Me? I'm with them ^ - take the stinkin' rotten thing back.

Chester
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I won't buy them either, as 80% of my listening to music is done in iTunes, and I don't want to have to switch CDs around.

WORKAROUND:

Good ol' technology at my service.

If you have an audio line-in ort on your computer, and a CD player of some sort with audio line-out, (or just a plug adaptor that goes to audio line-in/out), simply link it up, and use a piece of software to record it.

I have a registered copy of Sound Studio that I got with my iMac, so no probs here. Anyway, $15 or whatever it is is a pretty good price for this outstanding piece of software.

Now I just have to adjust the input so 'loud' sounds aren't clipped, (ie: so I don't get distortion).

So simple.

So good.

Merovingian: 1

Recording Companies: 0.

Screw them ? I want to play the music I bought on my iPod which I bought. I win again.

Merovingian is now a happy chappy.

Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I would say that you should be able to get the songs on the iTMS, but you're not in the US, so that's rough dude.

I wouldn't use it anyway. All I (can) use the iTMS for is to preview music I might want to but, even though it doesn't have (m)any Aussie artists on it. m.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have not bought a cd for years. The logo does not look like it represents copyright protection. That is very deceptive. Just wondering, but did the CD have any other warnings besides the paragraph? Or could you scan the whole back cover? For those of us who don't live near CD stores.

Oh. And I would take the CD back.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Exactly.

If you must allow yourself to be right royally fleeced then go to Google and find out the various methods for copying copy-protected CDs.

Me? I'm with them ^ - take the stinkin' rotten thing back.

Chester

See my post above. Besides, all I want to do is have the music on my iPod so I can listen to it when I want. I have no intention of copying it illegally. I feel guilty when pirating, trust me. i was lent a few CDs by a friend to rip, and I liked them, so I went out and bought them ? made me feel a whole lot better.

Hence, I couldn't careless about copy protection anymore...

There is always a way of circumventing something. ie: If one (hu)man built it, another (hu)man can break it.

Simple as that.

By the way, it's pretty sad how all this encryption and coding stuff used to stop copying of music can be so easily circumvented with a plug and cord...

Go figure... m. :P
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

See my post above. Besides, all I want to do is have the music on my iPod so I can listen to it when I want. I have no intention of copying it illegally. I feel guilty when pirating, trust me. i was lent a few CDs by a friend to rip, and I liked them, so I went out and bought them ? made me feel a whole lot better.

Hence, I couldn't careless about copy protection anymore...

There is always a way of circumventing something. ie: If one (hu)man built it, another (hu)man can break it.

Simple as that.

By the way, it's pretty sad how all this encryption and coding stuff used to stop copying of music can be so easily circumvented with a plug and cord...

Go figure... m. :P

Merovingian, Merovingian, Merovingian..... If you copy it as you described above I think you'll find you have copied it illegally. It's not for copying at all - that's the idea. What's more, you haven't won against the record company at all because they've made just as much money out of you as if they sold you a REAL CD.

A passing elf told me Santa won't bring you anything for Xmas if you don't take it back.

Now to submit and see if Barto got in first.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Now to submit and see if Barto got in first.

You win again, action man!

• Reply 12 of 35
    crazychester is right. The copy protection is put in place specifically to block the "fair use" duplication rights. Like it or not, you're probably breaking the law.

I'd take it to the store and complain that it will not play on your computer. Refuse anything but a full refund.

Remember:

Protection schemes like this are only going to get worse if you stand idly by and accept them. It will reach a point where it will be either incredibly difficult or tedious to circumvent. Hell, the current "work around" you gave is already very tedious and problematic because you are *not* getting an exact copy but rather an anaglog degraded approximation. People *must* take a stand and fight back at least with their wallets against this ingringement on our rights.

Take it back. Please.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

I would have bought Radiohead's Hail To The Theif and Jet's Get Born, if they didn't have copy protection. Both are great albums... but that doesn't count for shit when I can't listen to them.

Barto

I have the Radiohead Hail to the Thief album here, special edition.

No copy-protection whatsoever. I noticed that some CDs from Japan did that. Windows can play it with a special software player.. but not on the Mac.

Anyway.. my combo drive inside my FW800 is so strange. For example, I put in the BT - Emotional Technology into the drive. iTunes fired up and I can import all the songs from the album. I ejected it. Later on, I put the CD back in.. the CD was no longer being recognized. I have a couple CDs act like that. Other Macs optical drives work fine.

I called Apple and request for an optical drive exchange or for another brand of combo drive.. they rejected it since it does read DVDs, the Apple Software Restore DVD, and burn CD-R/RW. Always asking me to bring the PowerMac to the store and check. HELLO... I need to bring this 42lbs tower to the mall.

I tried those CDs in the demo FW800 machine (same speed and OS).. the drive failed to read it as well.

The stock optical drive is Philips CDD5301. I believed that it met the industry standard spec, right?

I just don't understand... sorry for OT somehow.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

crazychester is right. The copy protection is put in place specifically to block the "fair use" duplication rights. Like it or not, you're probably breaking the law.

In Australia we don't have any fair use provisions at all, as phonograph recording copyright law here was written before individuals had the capability to copy audio. In Australia, it is illegal to rip CDs whether they are copy protected or not.

Merovingian and myself never had any legal rights to begin with.

Kenneth, a check on the internet reveals that all non-US editions of HTTT have copy protection.

Barto
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

You win again, action man!

Yes well, you obviously forgot to take your Protein Powder this morning. Never send a man to do a man's work. Send a woman instead.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

And Kenneth, I'll check at the local record store if the special edition of HTTT has copy protection, thanks for the tip.

Barto

Last I checked it did.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    You are right.

Just checked Amazon.co.uk site and found out this for both regular version and limited edition...

"This CD includes anti-copying technology that is intended to prevent unlawful copying of the CD with a PC. This may affect playability of the CD on certain computer devices such as PCs and gaming platforms."

Luckily.. I bought the USA version.

I felt your pain.. supporting the musicians but the record companies forgot the "fair use".
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

In the words of the typical Ocker, "#v¢X 'em".

Quote:

I'd take it to the store and complain that it will not play on your computer. Refuse anything but a full refund.

Good idea.

Quote:

Hell, the current "work around" you gave is already very tedious and problematic because you are *not* getting an exact copy but rather an anaglog degraded approximation.

Isn't that the same as an AAC or MP3 rip, albeit not analogue? I understand the quality probably won't be as good.

Quote:

People *must* take a stand and fight back at least with their wallets against this ingringement on our rights.

Take it back. Please.

That will be duly considered. m.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

"This CD includes anti-copying technology that is intended to prevent unlawful copying of the CD with a PC."

Gee, could I buy a car only to find an engraved ntoice on its steering wheel reading: "This vehicle is not suitable for use on Australian roads"?

Hmmmm, bad analogy.

The quote above tries to prevent unlawful copying of the CD, which to me means the dupication of the polycarbonate disc by any means. To me this does not mean the transfer of songs to my own personal portable music player.

What do they say? The law is an ass? Yes, that's it. m.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

To me this does not mean the transfer of songs to my own personal portable music player.

Unfortunately for everyone concerned in this sorry debacle, that's not a technical legal argument

Copyright law in Australia as it stands means that you are not legally allowed to make ANY copies of music or film that you own (unless you have permission from the copyright owner, or are the copyright owner).

The infamous American DMCA as it stands means that you are not legally allowed to circumvent "protections" designed to "protect against" copyright infringement. So basically, corporations in America can WRITE THEIR OWN LAW just by putting some half ass copy protection in place.

Barto