Why do Europeans hate and Americans love flip phones?

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I don't really get this at all. Nokia has just announced it's first flip phone the 7200. Now in the States almost everyone has a flip phone, but in Europe nobody has one.

What's the deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm an American.

I had a flip phone.

I didn't like it.

Now I have a SE T610.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    Star Trek

Original "Communicator" was a flip phone.

Star Trek Communicator vs. Motorola StarTAC --

Score one for the visionaries! (In fact, the StarTAC is thinner!)

shopping mall doors whoosh open like original trek doors...

life imitates art.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    I don't like flip-phones.

it's funny, when cell phones were still considered to be a toy of the rich and famous, and when they were large and cumbersome, it was flip-phones that were pretty popular.

then in the past 3 years or so, cell phones have become so widely distributed, to the point where it seems like EVERYONE has one(I just got mine a month ago) and cell phones became all about slim and small, shunning away the old flip-phone design.

now it has made a huge come-back with the adoption of color screens and higher quality speakers and what-not.

all my friends have flip-phones, when I got mine, I made a point to not get one, I think they are kind of silly.

I love the nokia 3600, though it's a tad big, whatever should succeed that model a couple years down the line will be my next phone for sure.

currently I have a bottom of the rung cheapo audiovox, which is way better than anything that was on the market 4 years ago
  • Reply 4 of 67
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    honestly, i don't understand why you wouldn't get a flip phone. the other phones suck and the buttons and screen are both exposed.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    That would seem like the most logical reason. It protects the stuff inside the shell (screen, keys, etc.) , plus it's possible to get twice the "stuff" on the phone with twice the surface I guess. The thickness is the big minus, and I suppose some people seem to snap theirs shut accidentally all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    for myself, i wouldn't like to have to "flip" a phone open everytime. Annoying.

Plus the thickness.

and most [all?] flip phones have the antenna sticking out from it, which imo, ruins the look.

\
  • Reply 7 of 67
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

honestly, i don't understand why you wouldn't get a flip phone.

When I got mine (Samsung S105), I really wanted a flip phone. I eventually found, however, that the flip kept coming open on my belt. I'd be walking along and look down and the thing was hanging open! Happened all the time. I also got annoyed when I'd be receiving a call and while going for the phone I'd accidentally pull the flip partially open and then shut again. Oh, the other reason...and a biggie: The hinge on the phone went bad after a while. It caused the screen to black out fairly often.

Plus I wanted Bluetooth.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I also hate flip phones... The hinge neccessitates opening and closing the phone while at the same time making the phone larger.

Most importantly, the hinge is a moving part is is prone to eventually breaking.

Down with flip phones!
  • Reply 9 of 67
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I think we are the vast minority of Americans that dislike flip phones. Almost everybody I know has one and almost everybody I meet has flip phone. Same is Asia, but not in Europe. It seems so strange to me.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

When I got mine (Samsung S105), I really wanted a flip phone. I eventually found, however, that the flip kept coming open on my belt. I'd be walking along and look down and the thing was hanging open! Happened all the time. I also got annoyed when I'd be receiving a call and while going for the phone I'd accidentally pull the flip partially open and then shut again. Oh, the other reason...and a biggie: The hinge on the phone went bad after a while. It caused the screen to black out fairly often.

Plus I wanted Bluetooth.

that's bizarre.

the hing on my flip phone is very very strong and there is no way in hell it would open or close on its own. in fact, when you open or close it, it nearly snaps shut or snaps open once you open or close half way since the hinge is so tight and strong

and thickness...... my flip phone is slightly thicker than he brick phones but smaller in every other dimension and has a larger screen as a result and the screen is protected and the keypad is too.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    i hate flip phones. I got my T610 and love it. Before this I had Nextel and had a flip phone with that. I despised it.

The T610 is a great non-flip phone. Also, personally I don't like Nokias phones really. There are a few of their phones that are nice but for the most part, I think they suck.

I can't wait until the T630 is available. It is going to have a new screen so its better in direct sunlight. That is my only beef with my t610.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

i hate flip phones. I got my T610 and love it. Before this I had Nextel and had a flip phone with that. I despised it.

The T610 is a great non-flip phone. Also, personally I don't like Nokias phones really. There are a few of their phones that are nice but for the most part, I think they suck.

I can't wait until the T630 is available. It is going to have a new screen so its better in direct sunlight. That is my only beef with my t610.

i think the bigger problem is you had Nextel
  • Reply 13 of 67
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

i think the bigger problem is you had Nextel

Hell yeah it was. That company is the worst!!!!! They overcharge and have some of the worst coverage. I don't need that walkie talkie stuff on my phone, but you don't really have a option. My cell phone was covered by work but I had to switch because they weren't switching when I got to the boiling point. A few months after I switched to T-Mobile, they did too.

Nextel can seriously kiss my arse.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Two words: Bling, Bling.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Two words: Bling, Bling.

Five words : "bling" is only one word

Oh, and I don't like flip phones either. I got a Samsung A800 for Christmas last year and it is simply not practical.

Colour me clumsy but I just couldn't use it with one hand (i.e answering a call). OTOT, the backlight screen on the inside broke after 5 months. Luckily, I got it replaced under warranty and got the phone back after a mere 3 (three!) months! I liked the Nokia 3200 I got as a replacement phone way better, BTW

Last November I did myself a favour and got myself a t68i for half the price my wife had paid for the Samsung...

Maybe I'm just hard to please though...
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Happy Holidays All!

Well, I had a flip phone till about two months ago, then I got one of these and I love it! Its small enough to go into my pocket and I dont have to worry about hinges.

http://www.sliderstyle.com
  • Reply 17 of 67
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

the other phones suck...

WTF are you talking about? The quality of the phones and whether they are flip or not are mutually exclusive. My Nokia 3650 is the best phone I've ever used. Great reception, battery life and features. What the hell else would you want in a phone? Tell me again why you think non-flips suck (other than the fact that you don't like them)? Of course, if YOU don't like something it MUST be bad.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

WTF are you talking about? The quality of the phones and whether they are flip or not are mutually exclusive. My Nokia 3650 is the best phone I've ever used. Great reception, battery life and features. What the hell else would you want in a phone? Tell me again why you think non-flips suck (other than the fact that you don't like them)? Of course, if YOU don't like something it MUST be bad.

sounds like you are a victim of your own criticism, but what else is new
  • Reply 19 of 67
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

sounds like you are a victim of your own criticism, but what else is new

What? I don't think either flips or non-flips are good or bad just because of their flip-status. How is it that I'm a victim of my own criticism again? Stick to baseball and not debate.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

What? I don't think either flips or non-flips are good or bad just because of their flip-status. How is it that I'm a victim of my own criticism again? Stick to baseball and not debate.