Internet on a mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Right now, I have 3 computers, getting internet by means of a Linksys WAP router (802.11b, 2.4ghz). If I were to get a mac soon, would it get an internet signal by means of Linksys?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If that Mac had an Airport or Airport Extreme card, then yes it would receive signals as well. Apple uses the same wireless standards as the rest of the industry; in fact, they're a leader in pushing wireless protocols, the first to release 802.11b and also the first (or one of the first) to use 802.11g.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    yup, airport or aiport card would do it. Just make sure you set up your router to accept the address from that card. If you have not set up security on that router- I'd strongly suggest you do it, and soon.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Will it still work if I have it set so that it broadcasts a signal throughout the house?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Will it still work if I have it set so that it broadcasts a signal throughout the house?

Yep. just like Luca Rescigno said, wireless standards are the same for everyone. Same frequencys...same everything. You won't have a problem with this. I have my cable modem run through a Netgear 802.11b router and it has computers hardwired to it, and my dad's laptop (a PC) my brothers computer (also a PC) and his fieancé's laptop (an iBook with an Airport card). I have never had any problems with this setup. Works flawlessly. The router is in the basement and broadcasts to the whole house without a problem.