"MWSF": THE thread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What is MWSF? Why MWSF? WHat will be seen at MWSF? What do we know and what do we antcipate? This is the thread for facts and speculations for upcoming hardware.

PowerMac : fact : IBM is going or is switched to the 0,09nm process with the G5. Speeds are unknown but we specutalte 2.2 to 2.6 Ghz and probably will top out at 2.4 for Powermacs.

\tfact: Apple has updated the G5 line with the 1.8 GHz DP just recently. Speculation: It wouldn't be the first time Apple broke their product cycle.

Powerbook: We know 1 thing: Apple is working on cooling system to fit in the small case. We hope it will have a G5 , but 'Apple' said it wouldn't be for early 2004 but for mid 2004

IBook: they just got G4's, we 'll see update mid 2004 i think.

iMac : fact They just got the 20" in the line. Specutlation : new form factor and possible G5 transition.

Xserve : Fact : IBM made their 1.6 GHz blade server. Speculation: Apple might wait for new G5's for termal reasons.

Displays: Specutation: Some expect the 30" and new design and maybe pricedrops.

Add your ideas and facts to this and possible new info from the rumor communtiy.

MerryChristmas

PS: I know this is thread # about these subjects, but this gives a better view on what we know and what we don't.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 204
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There will be 3 things:

Speed bumped G5's.

Newly designed monitors.

And the G5 Xserve.
  • Reply 2 of 204
    • PowerMacs: Updates

• PowerBooks: Please give the G5 Updates

• iMac: No Update

• iBook: No Update

• iPod: miniPods

• XServe: G5 XServes

• Displays: Nothing New

• Software: Updated iLife. Come on, give the new AppleWorks..please?

• Reply 3 of 204
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

PowerBooks: Please give the G5 Updates

This is why you are the insane elite member. Also, pass it over. I'll have some of what you're smoking.
  • Reply 4 of 204
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    PowerMac - will be "quietly" updated one week after the Expo

iMac - will be completely redesigned and sports a G5. The "one more thing" thing in the Steve's show.

PowerBook - Not a chance. Wait til April

eMac - no physical change. Will only have a slight speed increase to 1.25GHz G4 on the keynote day but it's a silent upgrade.

iPod and iTMS - Cheaper iPod and some iTMS related announcement for sure. But I am afraid Steve will talk about this Music sh!t for over an hour. If so I am going to fall in sleep
  • Reply 5 of 204
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

[B]iMac - will be completely redesigned and sports a G5. The "one more thing" thing in the Steve's show.

PowerBook - Not a chance. Wait til April

/B]

When was the last time he did a "one more thing" thing?

I better get my PowerBook update before June, education reasons, that's all.

Oddly enough, I have never smoked.

EDICT:
  • Reply 6 of 204
    Think Secret reports the Keynote will concentrate on music. Look for the MiniPods and announcments of iTMS in several countries on line immediately. Hardware updates will be minimal and probably in the weeks after MWSF. iLife updates are probable as well. The new iMac looks like a Spring release with a G5 chip in my opinion.

I don't think Apple updates or introduces more then 1 or 2 new CPU's per MacWorld. 12 days and counting.
  • Reply 7 of 204
    PowerMacs: Not yet, I'm sure with the recent addition of the dual 1.8 they are selling well. My guess is Feb/March

PowerBooks: WWDC for August delivery-back to school.

iBook: They're good, no updates

iMac: They're up. Maybe G5 time, if it wasn't for TS-i'd say big yes.

eMac: Quite upgrades sometime soon.

iPod: minpods and new iTunes with DJ mixing functions-http://www.apple-x.net/index.html

xServe: Boy, there up for the G5 but it just doesn't sound like an Expo thing. Maybe if they also release clustering software for use with all CPUs

Software updates: iLife and intro iWrite (please!).
  • Reply 8 of 204
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

PowerBooks: WWDC for August delivery-back to school.

They should make them released in time for graduations. Graduations!
  • Reply 9 of 204
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well, my sister just ordered a 1 GHz 14" iBook G4 with max memory, Airport Extreme Card, Bluetooth, and a carrying case, so that means the chances of them being updated just shot through the roof.
  • Reply 10 of 204
    My wish:

Rev. B aluminum 15" Powerbooks, with possible price drop. I know the price cut is unlikely, but hey, I'm wishing here. I really want to get a 15" PB and I am waiting until after the big show.

Likely:

Some sort of iPod deal. Either low capacity, more affordable model or added features to current line.

iMac: Speed bumps, possible move to G5. But I think a redesign before G5. But we have been surprised before.

eMac: Due for speed bumps I think.
  • Reply 11 of 204
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    They won't do PowerBooks at MWSF. Those were updated four months ago and seem rather decent right now, so I see updates for them in late Feb at earliest.

They won't do PowerMacs at MWSF. Those will probably be updated in late January - or later.

They won't do Xserves at MWSF. Such upgrades will probably quietly happen around Feb, or, if the Xserves get different form factors due to the G5 change, there might be a press event again.

They won't do iBooks; those were updated recently. They'll probably talk about them briefly though.

iMacs are a possibility, and so are definitely eMacs. Where's the eBook, Apple? $699 low-end laptop, 12 inches, doesn't even have to be a G4, just make it real affordable and the perfect companion for students, network admins, etc.

iPod is quite a possibility; if the low-end iPod rumors are true, we may be seeing iPods placed around $99 - $149 and that'll make the iPod the real winner in the market, finally (numbers aren't everything).

iTunes? Oh yeah, they'll talk about it. Maybe new features; I would really love to see user ratings, user exchanges, etc. And work on the GUI a little; its flaws start bugging me now.

Keynote. Will see an upgrade, I'd say, to 1.5 or maybe 2.0 with some groundbreaking new features that make PowerPoint look so 20th century-ish (if it doesn't already look like it).

QuickTime 7? I think it's a bit too early; maybe NAB, or as late as QuickTime Live / WWDC 2004.

More productivity software. ME WANT... Will do more free marketing than I already do for Apple if they do that :P (err, three times "do" in a sentence can't be good )

And finally, iLife, of course. I already mentioned iTunes, which I see as being upgraded to 4.5 or 5.0 (I do realize that it just recently jumped to 4.1, 4.1.1 and 4.2; those were minor changes). iPhoto *needs* work, and iMovie could use some. I don't know iDVD, really.

Did I miss anything? Pro Apps -> NO upgrades at MWSFs.
  • Reply 12 of 204
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

There will be 3 things:

Speed bumped G5's.

Newly designed monitors.

And the G5 Xserve.

That's what I hope for.
  • Reply 13 of 204
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Well, my sister just ordered a 1 GHz 14" iBook G4 with max memory, Airport Extreme Card, Bluetooth, and a carrying case, so that means the chances of them being updated just shot through the roof

I hear that!

Leonis is spot on, small eMac bumps and a belayed G5 silent update later, and maybe just maybe a One More Thing iMac G5. Small iBook bump most likely because they suck. I'm guessing no XServe. That will have a separate event or something, it's not consumer.
  • Reply 14 of 204
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I hear that!

Leonis is spot on, small eMac bumps and a belayed G5 silent update later, and maybe just maybe a One More Thing iMac G5. Small iBook bump most likely because they suck. I'm guessing no XServe. That will have a separate event or something, it's not consumer.

oh man, a One More Thing? iMac G5 would be awesome.

Didn't Steve one time do a "One More Thing..well, actually, one more SMALL thing" ?
  • Reply 15 of 204
    mwsf will be geared towards the average, dumb user (windows users). i doubt announcing new xserves is gonna help apple win marketshare. mini ipods, faster g5's, and perhaps new imac's would surely do the trick though.
  • Reply 16 of 204
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Are you all forgeting just how close this event is to the 20th anniversary of the Mac? They're going to do something special. Thought I doubt it but pray for it, G5 CUBE!!!!! Even if I already have my G5 I just love those lil' cubes.....then again maybe not.
  • Reply 17 of 204
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

Are you all forgeting just how close this event is to the 20th anniversary of the Mac? They're going to do something special. Thought I doubt it but pray for it, G5 CUBE!!!!! Even if I already have my G5 I just love those lil' cubes.....then again maybe not.

who knows how this Apple compares to the apple when the "20th Anniversary Mac came out" with a sticker price of something like 7000 smackers or more... it was horrible..aint no point as I see it.
  • Reply 18 of 204
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

who knows how this Apple compares to the apple when the "20th Anniversary Mac came out" with a sticker price of something like 7000 smackers or more... it was horrible..aint no point as I see it.

Actually it was $10,000 and a dude in a tux came arrived in a limo to your house to set it up. No joke.

But I don't think Apple needs to break the bank on some crazy machine for a 20th anniversary mac. Just throw a single 2.0GHz G5 into a cool enclosure (cube, pyramid, sphere, etc). Also include a Bose soundsystem again, and no monitor. Sell it for like $2500-3000. It would be a collectors item, so only make like 5000 of them.
  • Reply 19 of 204
    could it be a floating orb?

because things that float, and are orbs, they kick serious ass
  • Reply 20 of 204
    If their 20th anniversary 'mac' were a G5 in an all in one aluminum flat computer, much like their other, I would be plenty happy. The TAM was stylish and simple, just like the current G5. This is a style I respect.

-walloo.