Next iTunes To Have Mixing Capability?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Apple X-net posted this picture of desktop. Larger pic and more info is here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Hmm well maybe the whole mixing with ipods thing has caught on in a big way, only thing that looks a little weird about that pic is each of the mixer sections has its own light source shading distinct from the whole itunes window, would they do it like that?

Nice idea tho, we shall see in a week or so
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Could be bogus of course. 12 days to MWSF Keynote.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    F.A.K.E.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    "bps"?????

Apple would never make that gaffe. FAKE
  • Reply 5 of 47
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Yeah the pitch and beat/sec entry fields are a little suspicious, unrefined, doesn't seem what Apple would do.

Of course this also could just be a beta screenshot.

What about mixing more than two tracks?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I think we may see something sound related.

Maybe a new iApp like a stripped down Soundtrack or new capabilities added to iTunes.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

What about mixing more than two tracks?

iDJ Pro for $299 will allow you to mix up to 8 tracks but to mix an unlimited about you will need to purchase Logic Platinum for $699.

You know Apple would do this if they could.

People would pay also.

Can't wait for the Apple infomercial where DJs talk about how iDJ Pro completely revolutionialized how they mix songs and how now any one can be a professional DJ.

Hopefully for the sake of people attending parties everywhere iDJ will have a built in song vetting system and if a song is horrible a warning flashes up and a quality song is automatically downloaded from the iTunes music store.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

only thing that looks a little weird about that pic is each of the mixer sections has its own light source shading distinct from the whole itunes window, would they do it like that?

Interesting point. If iTunes was a proper brushed metal application, I'd be screaming FAKE at the top of my lungs. However, it isn't a real brushed metal application, and uses it's own code.... I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that way because those two mixing EQs were new fields, and their properties not part of the main window.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Interesting point. If iTunes was a proper brushed metal application, I'd be screaming FAKE at the top of my lungs. However, it isn't a real brushed metal application, and uses it's own code.... I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up that way because those two mixing EQs were new fields, and their properties not part of the main window.

Barto

Me too. It looks fake.

Eff, Aye, Kay, Eee. m.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    am i missing something, or is the entire mockup just totally bogus?

you have two screens with equalizers for each track. What???

i thought the point of a mixer was to crossfade the two songs -- so where are the inteface widgets for doing the crossfade? equalization can already be accompished on a track by track basis in iTunes, so why would the mixing component be concerned with equalization? perhaps because it was easy to take a snapshot of the existing equalization pane and use it in the fake mockup???

why has nobody noticed that this mockup wouldn't even provide the right controls to make music mixes?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    You misunderstand what it means. You can make a music mix, with a bunch of songs one after the other (which would require a totally different interface from the screenshot).

This form of mixing takes two songs and mixes them into one song, taking elements of both. Eg, the beat from one and the lyrics from the other. To do that, you need two equalizers and you need to be able to control the bpm and pitch of at least one song.

Looking at the design.... I'm not certain AT ALL that this is fake. A development version probably.

If it IS a development version... I'm sure that Apple will develop a better interface than a simple record button too.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 47
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I really hope that this isn't SJ's "oh, one more thing" at MWSF. Yes, there are people in the world who are DJs. Yes, there are people in the world who enjoy that oontz-oontz-oontz-oontz techno music. I doubt that the vast majority of iPod owners or iTunes users fall into both categories, so this seems like a huge gamble for Apple.

I, for one, do not want to have the ability to change the pitch and tempo of ANY of the music in my iTunes library in order to create a never-ending (well, currently an 8-day-long) homogenous mix to keep people dancing. What an absolutely lousy idea.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

I really hope that this isn't SJ's "oh, one more thing" at MWSF. Yes, there are people in the world who are DJs. Yes, there are people in the world who enjoy that oontz-oontz-oontz-oontz techno music. I doubt that the vast majority of iPod owners or iTunes users fall into both categories, so this seems like a huge gamble for Apple.

I, for one, do not want to have the ability to change the pitch and tempo of ANY of the music in my iTunes library in order to create a never-ending (well, currently an 8-day-long) homogenous mix to keep people dancing. What an absolutely lousy idea.

I don´t have a digital camera so I see no point in Apple doing any further development on iPhoto. Please stop right now Apple
  • Reply 14 of 47
    So you're saying that there are more people in the world who are interested in DJing/techno music/making mixes of two different songs (whatever that means) than there are people who are interested in either taking or looking at pretty pictures? Are you prepared to support your own theory that photography (in this case digital photography) is less popular than the ability to change the pitch and tempo of music?

It's true that Apple capitalizes on trends when it develops and releases its software and hardware, but this new (unconfirmed) feature of iTunes isn't going to matter to many, many people. CD burning, digital video production, instant messaging, digital photography and downloading/listening to digital music are pretty much universal activities these days, appealing to the masses. The ability to change the pitch and tempo of songs in your iTunes music library is only going to appeal to a certain segment of the population.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

So you're saying that there are more people in the world who are interested in DJing/techno music/making mixes of two different songs (whatever that means) than there are people who are interested in either taking or looking at pretty pictures?

***reading my own post again***

Hmm No I don´t think I said that.

Quote:

Are you prepared to support your own theory that photography (in this case digital photography) is less popular than the ability to change the pitch and tempo of music?

Why should I defend a strawman put up by you?

Quote:

It's true that Apple capitalizes on trends when it develops and releases its software and hardware, but this new (unconfirmed) feature of iTunes isn't going to matter to many, many people.

And for a lot of people it matters. It wouldn´t just be techno folks who would benefit from this feature. A lot of the features in their iPrograms doesn´t matter for most people and yet Apple put them in there for the conveniency of the few (adress book syncing with t68i´s, The ability to make photo books, iDVD etc.). I can´t imagine it would be hard to code such an add on.

Just for the record I give this rumour a 33% chance of being true. I really don´t think Apple have done this. But to dismiss a possible feature based on your own preferences is wrong in my book.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Can anyone demonstrate a legitimate use for this supposed new feature? The only one I can think of is that I'll finally be able to prove that Joan Osborne's "What if God Was One of Us?" and Sarah Maclachlan's "Building a Mystery" are, in fact, the same song.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    And, actually, you did sort of suggest that, Anders.

"I don´t have a digital camera so I see no point in Apple doing any further development on iPhoto. Please stop right now Apple."

Right there you were suggesting Apple should stop developing iPhoto because not everyone has a camera (my own first response in this thread seemed to be no better than saying that about iPhoto, you seemed to be saying.)
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

And, actually, you did sort of suggest that, Anders.

"I don´t have a digital camera so I see no point in Apple doing any further development on iPhoto. Please stop right now Apple."

No. I said since _I_ don´t use iPhoto Apple should stop developing on it. Not what I think _most_ people want. It was an attempt on sarcasm.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Well, I wasn't being sarcastic.

My point is that I believe that the segment of the population who would enjoy this new feature if it were added to iTunes can't be all that big. Apple tries to stay ahead of the curve--it basically pioneered the concept of home-producing digital video and so many other things that have become commonplace. I can't see Apple saying that it believes that changing the pitch and tempo of songs in your iTunes library and splicing them together (or layering them together, I guess) is going to be the Next Big Thing?.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Apple purportedly is updating all the iApps. Nobody said this is the Next Big Thing, just another possible addition to iTunes. Little steps are important. 11 days and we'll all know.8)