Put my phone through the wash.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I was doing some laundry last night and forgot to take my cell phone out of the cargo pocket of my pants. The pants had some stains on them and so they went through the wash twice. So now my phone is drying out and will be un usable for a few days. Don't worry, I didn't try to turn it on or charge it. I took out the battery and have it drying on my counter top right now. Any tips to dry it faster? It doesn't seem to be that bad (it went through the dryer too). I'm gonna wait a few days before I turn it back on. I feel so dumb! Merry Christmas all!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The forum is much more satisfying when we learn from other's mistakes.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    There was a thread on this in General Discussion not three days ago (might have been three weeks though, time gets trippy in the mind of a spare time filled feller). Apparently, you should look in the manual if it states that you cannot wash your phone.

[not trying to be an asshole xionja, I just am, and besides, I found your remark incredibly funny despite itself]
  • Reply 3 of 14
    did you dry off the batt's contact points... don't want it to oxidize now do we?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

...xionja

There are four posts in this thread (well, five now), and none have been made by xionja. Am I missing something here?

Or was it that the other cell phone thread was authored by xionja?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I do remember the thread from about three weeks ago (yes it was three weeks, not three days!) but I didn't want to bump it and steal his thunder, I felt that this warranted a new thread.

Anyway, an update. I dried the phone for about 30 hours and cleaned it up pretty well. I tried to turn it on today and it didn't work. I plugged it in and it turns out that the battery was dead. But the phone works just like it should. I can make calls and everything, doesn't seem to be hurt at all. Some of the buttons were a little slow to react the first time I pressed them, but it's getting better.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    good to hear, now we know when you put your cellie through the wash, let it dry completely before turning it on
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Update #2:

They keypad has ceased to work correctly. Sometimes it won't work at all, sometimes I will get the wrong numbers showing up on the screen when I press the buttons. The only one that works correctly is the power button. I took the phone apart last night to see if anything was corroded and it didn't look bad at all. Oh well, off to the Verizon store for a new one.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Update #3: (for anyone who even cares anymore)

The keypad no longer works. The phone, other than that, is just fine. Turns on and off, receives calls (that I can't answer due to the lack of keypad function) and I'm assuming that it would place calls just fine, despite the aforementioned keypad issue.

Question...if I do have to get a new phone, can I just buy one from eBay and go into a Verizon store and get it activated? Or do I have to fix this one/buy a new one from verizon? Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Update #4 (and shameless bump because I really need an answer to my question!):

The keypad started to work for about 10 minutes today, but than died again. I went to the Verizon store yesterday and was told that I could buy a new phone at retail price and have it activated. The cheapest phone is $129 USD. Too much money for me.

So I'm wondering, can I buy a phone from eBay and activate it, just as long as it's a Verizon compatible phone? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated because the only day I have to go back to the store is tomorrow and so I want to know if I should buy a new phone or if I can get one cheaper from the web.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    You don't have insurance on your cell phone? If you do then they would replace it regardless if it is your fault or not.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

So I'm wondering, can I buy a phone from eBay and activate it, just as long as it's a Verizon compatible phone?

Yes.

Just take the chip out of your existing phone,pop it in the new phone and everything will work as before.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Yes.

Just take the chip out of your existing phone,pop it in the new phone and everything will work as before.

I'm pretty sure Verizon doesn't use SIM cards.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    One more update:

Just bought a Motorola V120c off of eBay. Should have it in a few days and be back up and running. Thanks to everyone for their help!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

There are four posts in this thread (well, five now), and none have been made by xionja. Am I missing something here?

Or was it that the other cell phone thread was authored by xionja?

Clue #1:

Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

There was a thread on this in General Discussion not three days ago...

(Not trying to be an asshole, I just am).