Fire / Police radio scanners.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just got a scanner for Christmas. It's a radio shack model, seems really high quality. My dad thought it would be cool seeing as I'm going to be a fire fighter / paramedic. It's really cool so far, but I can't pick up too many things. Anyone use one of these that could tell me if there is a website or anything like that out there that provides frequencies? Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    I don't know the frequencies the police or analog mobile phones use in US .. but my dad used to have one of those ... well, interesting frequency radios. Years ago, when there was such a thing as analog mobile phone in Europe, it was fun to listen to all the boring conversations .. sorry, I don't remember any frequencies now. Try.

Aww, I think I just remembered one reason why I don't like phone so much. \
  • Reply 2 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    A friend of mine in Chicago had one of these. She had a cop friend of hers set it up to scan her neighborhood, down town and one very busy area (projects). It was very entertaining.

dispatcher Anonymous cell phone caller reports seeing four middle eastern men putting large box on top of four door sedan.

cop Could you call that cell phone back and get ossama bin laden on the phone?

dispatcher They didn't leave the number.

cop I hate when that happens.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I just got a scanner for Christmas. It's a radio shack model, seems really high quality. My dad thought it would be cool seeing as I'm going to be a fire fighter / paramedic. It's really cool so far, but I can't pick up too many things. Anyone use one of these that could tell me if there is a website or anything like that out there that provides frequencies? Thanks for all your help.

DMBand0026 is this the one you have?

Scanner at Radio Shack

If it is I have this same model. Radio Shack should be able to program it in your area via a earphone wire which will sync it with their database on a PC in the showroom floor. It will have all the labels keyed in for you and all the public radios in your area.

Fellows
  • Reply 4 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I've had a scanner for years - lots of entertaining stuff you can pick up.

The Police/Fire Dept. in my little city near L.A. have switched to a digital system that my older Radio Shack scanner can't pick up.

The Radio Shack scanners are just rebranded Uniden's BTW.

Even though I can't get the Police/Fire/Rescue frequencies in my city anymore, I still listen to other cities PD/FD, Ham (Amateur) Radio, a local radio stations in-house feed (engineer/On-Air talent conversations), NASA stuff, Airports, etc.

There are lots of things to grab out of the air (you wouldn't believe how many people still have 900Mhz cordless phones).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Is there any audio out... like a headphone jack that you could record the audio in the computer?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

(you wouldn't believe how many people still have 900Mhz cordless phones).

Oh man..... I have a 900mhz cordless phone.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Same here... due to the AirPort.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Same here... due to the AirPort.

Is the airport not 2.4 Ghz?

Fellows
  • Reply 9 of 15
    There's an interference problem between 2.4Ghz phones and Airports....but I have my 2.4Ghz about seven feet from my 1st gen Airport and it works peachy keen!

IS there a way to manually program in your local data? I'd be interested in getting one of these things!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

There's an interference problem between 2.4Ghz phones and Airports....but I have my 2.4Ghz about seven feet from my 1st gen Airport and it works peachy keen!

IS there a way to manually program in your local data? I'd be interested in getting one of these things!

My bad for confusing the term "AirPort"

Yes you can program it manually.

Fellows
  • Reply 11 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

At least get a cordless phone that has Spread Spectrum or some form of scrambling.

One time I set my scanner to scan randomly a set of frequencies so that I could record police chatter with a chumpy little voice activated recorder to use as background walla (TV Shows/Film sfx library) and it locked on a neighbors phone when she was ordering some stuff from a catalog.

Anyway, she gave her name, address phone number and credit card number over the phone - all easily recorded.

After I heard this, I walked down to her apartment with my scanner and gave her a demo of how unsecure her phone is.

She was alarmed and it never occured to her that eavesdropping was even possible.

Get rid of your non-encrypted cordless phones.

It's very easy for unscrupulous people to exploit them.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    You can apparently pick up cell phone conversations somehow with these scanners too. My dad's scanner, which is a Uniden BearCat, has big lettering and harsh words in the manual telling people not to modify the device so it can pick up cell phone conversations.

We found the channels from a local booklet that was published by the county many years ago with the frequencies from his old scanner which used the "crystals" to get channels and also simple google searches yielded frequencies in my area too.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

You can apparently pick up cell phone conversations somehow with these scanners too. My dad's scanner, which is a Uniden BearCat, has big lettering and harsh words in the manual telling people not to modify the device so it can pick up cell phone conversations.

Many people would take that as a challenge.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    900Mhz phones are fine if you get one that is DIGITAL and not analog. The digitals shouldn't be able to be heard by scanners.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

DMBand0026 is this the one you have?

[snip]

Thats the one. I was thinking about taking it in there, in the manual it said something about taking it in so that they could give me the local frequencies. Did you do that? It's been a lot of fun so far. I heard a kid get arrested last night for retail theft, my dad and I sat here laughing. I have been able to pick up a lot just by scanning the "Police and Fire" frequencies. Lot of fun. Fellows, do you know if this model picks up digital frequencies? I think my city uses digital, but I'm not sure yet.