what are some good file sharing progs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
please don't say kazaa or itunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    http://www.mac-p2p.com/

Poisoned is pretty good, and so is mlMac.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

http://www.mac-p2p.com/

Poisoned is pretty good, and so is mlMac.

Thanks. I got poisoned. It's great!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    guess what... poisoned is kazza!!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yeah, poisoned is Kazaa, gnutella and OpenFT,
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Yeah, but, guess what, Kazaa is adware! Which is the reason I did not want anyone to say Kazaa, not because I have some sort of grudge against gnutella filesharing networks.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Well, Kazaa isn't available for mac anyway, except through poisoned(fast track networks) so nya
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Well, good, all the more reason for no one to say kazaa.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    limewire's a good one.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The official Kazaa does contain spyware/adware, but there IS Kazaa Lite for the PC (spyware/adware removed)... and Kazaa uses the "Fasttrak" network, which has nothing inherently evil about it. You can download a 3rd party program like Poisoned that will have the same search results as Kazaa (minus those from RIAA/MPAA/BayTCP/etc hosts ), but without the adware.

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

limewire's a good one.

No it isn't. It uses a crappy, clunky, slow Java interface, only searches Gnutella (not the Kazaa "fasttrack" network), is slow, contains spyware, has ads, and is slow. And crashes a bit. And hogs CPU time.

I can't think of anything good to say about limewire, ipodandimac, get enlightened and try poisoned

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 19
    people who really want to use the gnutella network should look at acquisition or acqlite rather than limewire ? i'm sure you'll be pleased by the enormous improvement which is immediately obvious.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Try Carracho. Mac only and (thus) friendlier than Hotline.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Try Carracho. Mac only and (thus) friendlier than Hotline.

Carracho is a community client/server application, not a P2P network. It serves a different purpose to P2P networks, where instead of having every file in the world, it has a (relatively) very small collection of files related to a particular server.

And staphbaby, Poisoned searches Gnutella too

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I'll throw in BitTorrent before rushing off to work... Azureus is a Java one that should work on the mac... Then search on Google for "Suprnova". (no e)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Acquisition has been pretty good to me. www.acquisitionx.com. m.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Had a question about Poisoned and thought I'd bump this thread instead of adding a new one.

I just noticed that Poisoned, while adding the downloaded songs to my iTunes playlist (which I like), it seems to copy the files to the iTunes music folder as well. Does this mean that there are two copies of the mp3s on my hard drive? Can I throw away the ones in the Poisoned folder after I download them?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Just select the "delete original file after successful import" checkbox in the intergration preference.

Poisoned 0.5 is out now too
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Sweet.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Is anybody able to help me? I've recently downloaded Poisoned, but I am not able to get any search results and cannot connect to Gnutella, Ares, or FastTrack. Any suggestions?